NF. Marlin 336

Freshtrax

Ok in the process of getting my Canadian pal and hunter safety. I'm looking at grabbing a marlin 336 as my first rifle. Seems to meet all my needs tell me what you think. Would mostly take deer hunting field edges from stand. Ammo is cheap for practice. And I've always wanted a cowboy gun. The reason I like this one in particular is the side eject not the top eject witch means if I ever needed to scope it I could.

Ok in the process of getting my Canadian pal and hunter safety. I'm looking at grabbing a marlin 336 as my first rifle. Seems to meet all my needs tell me what you think. Would mostly take deer hunting field edges from stand. Ammo is cheap for practice. And I've always wanted a cowboy gun. The reason I like this one in particular is the side eject not the top eject witch means if I ever needed to scope it I could.

Be a Man shottie or black powder them for a week and bow hunt them the rest of the season . Be wise to town and area bylaws restrictions on pulling the trigger on center fires,

Hard to beat the 336 in 30-30 for a bush gun, they are a good value used and the older ones seem smoother to me or maybe they are just broken in.

From a stand you might be better served with a flatter shooting bolt rifle.

Either way buy a .22 for practice, ammo is cheap and you will learn better sight and trigger control without noise and recoil.

Guns are like fishing rods, not one can do everything and after a while you own several - slippery slope.

Dan

Depends on what species and where you plan to hunt. The Marlin 30-30 is a robust little rifle but limited to maybe 150 yard shots. If you plan on hunting deer only it will be fine. If you plan on hunting moose or bear as well I recommend going up to a 308 or 30-06. More down range killing power and effective well past 150 yards. The 30-30 caliber is "old school" but used to be very common.

I am a 30-06 kinda guy.. but the 270, 30-06, 243, 308, 7mm, 30-30, 32 spec will all take down deer at respectable ranges in ontario. That list probbaly covers 90 percent of the centerfires used in ontario for deer.

30-30's are fun guns, and if you want one you will nede ber happy until you have one. Get it and don't look back. Plus it can be your "Deer" gun, then you can get a 30-06 "Moose" gun, and a 243 "yote" gun, and a 12 gauge 3.5" pump for turkey, and a 12 gauge semi for goose and a 16 gauge for small birds and a....

yotes 308

deer 308

moose 308

target 308

Makes it easy to sort brass this way. After many guns and many cal and endless days at the range and years in the field; if you can't drop it dead with a 308 then you are reading way to many ballistic tables.

30-30 was what I was looking at. Will also be picking up a side by side for goose and duck. I've done my homework seems like the right gun for me I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I have zero interest in bear. Elk and moose in a few years maybe. Will "have" to buy a new gun later aww shucks.

30-30 will do the job on deer safely to around 100yds or so. Out past that and it really starts losing energy. But, its a bush gun so you'll be within that. I'm planning on getting back into hunting and am going true Canadian, a good old 303Brit. It'll take everything up to and including moose and elk. It will be my bush gun.

30-30 was what I was looking at. Will also be picking up a side by side for goose and duck. I've done my homework seems like the right gun for me I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I have zero interest in bear. Elk and moose in a few years maybe. Will "have" to buy a new gun later aww shucks.

Don't count out being able to afford an over under. I just bought a Stoeger Condor outback, and its very nice for the price, mind you I already have a sxs as well.