high end casting rods

well... we pretty much got all cash gifts at our wedding...so me and the "wife" decided we can each get something nice for ourselves with some of the money...

so im looking for a high end baitcaster rod with lifetime warranty...im not looking for the highest price rod in north america just because i have the money to spend... im thinking 400 is my cap...

im looking for

7 to 7.5 foot

heavy power

fast action

lifetime warranty

im leaning towards a st. croix legend extreme or maybe legend tournament...i like the extreme cause they have the recoil eyes that spring back into place if the get "bent" but its 400 for those and 260 for the tournament that falls into my model options...

anyways...

looking for any opinions...

im leaning to st.croix.... but G Loomis is an option as well... but all my experience is with st.croix...so i dont know much about other brands...

also... if anyone knows of any sales right now on a rod like i described... id love to know about it...

thanks...

mike

why spend 400 on one rod, when you can get a couple of compre's with lifetime warranty for less and probably a calcutta to go with it, i just picked up the new verison of the compre muskie, and it's pretty sweet, I couldn't tell a noticeable difference between the compre and legend tournament

Shimano crucial, great rods, lifetime warrenty, less then 200 bucks, and they have a 7'5" heavy action rod that ur looking for.

G loomis GL2 rods are same, lifetime warrently, I believe they have the wild card warrenty too, tons of models, around 200 bucks.

Either way, u could get 2 rods for the price of one legend extreme. Or a rod and a reel to pair it with.

I'd take a look at custom rods with that money.

But if you're set on a factory rod, my choice would be a dobyns dx of some sort. 350 or so.

High end rods definitely can feel what te bottom is much better. There is no guessing when you're rolling through rocks, weeds, sand. Had my first experience like that not long ago and it blows my mind how much easier it was vs my other rods.

so im looking for a high end baitcaster rod with lifetime warranty...im thinking 400 is my cap...

im looking for

7 to 7.5 foot

heavy power

fast action

lifetime warranty

im leaning towards a st. croix legend extreme or maybe legend tournament...i like the extreme cause they have the recoil eyes that spring back into place if the get "bent"

looking for any opinions...

im leaning to st.croix.... but G Loomis is an option as well... but all my experience is with st.croix...so i dont know much about other brands...

also... if anyone knows of any sales right now on a rod like i described... id love to know about it...

thanks...

mike

G. Loomis NRX and GL2 fall into the "Wild Card " Category. First time breakage. Free over the counter replacement. When you present the "Wild Card". No questions asked. You must register and a wild card will be sent out to you.

After that, details are sketchy. As in, "what happens if the second rods fails"? No mention of that anywhere in their warraanty.

Some St. Croix Dealers are charging as much as $35. Supposedly for shipping your broken rod back to the manufacturer. In reality, they stock pile many broken rods. Ship them in bulk and get their credit. I'm quite sure it isn't costing them $35 for each and every broken rod.

Best bang for your buck in a high end is Shimano Crucial or Cumara. Lifetime over the counter. Only broke a couple. Neither of which was any fault of Shimano. Took them back to the dealer and they were replaced on the spot. No strings.

I would think about having one built from Spiel. He will research what you want and build it to fit your needs and your hands. He has built 4 rods for me in the past and is working on one as we speak. They do not come with a lifetime warrentee but so far I have not had any issues with the ones he has made. The quality is there and if it does break it will be something you accidently did to the rod. The end product has put almost all of my St. Croix and G Loomis rods on the back burner it IS that big of a difference.

Art

G. Loomis NRX and GL2 fall into the "Wild Card " Category. First time breakage. Free over the counter replacement. When you present the "Wild Card". No questions asked. You must register and a wild card will be sent out to you.

After that, details are sketchy. As in, "what happens if the second rods fails"? No mention of that anywhere in their warraanty.

Some St. Croix Dealers are charging as much as $35. Supposedly for shipping your broken rod back to the manufacturer. In reality, they stock pile many broken rods. Ship them in bulk and get their credit. I'm quite sure it isn't costing them $35 for each and every broken rod.

Best bang for your buck in a high end is Shimano Crucial or Cumara. Lifetime over the counter. Only broke a couple. Neither of which was any fault of Shimano. Took them back to the dealer and they were replaced on the spot. No strings.

the crucial and cumara are the same rods, just different guides. personally, i would save the 50 bucks and get the crucial.

and with the loomis wild cards, as stated, first time break, no questions asked replacement. i believe with any subsequent breaks, there is a replacement cost. exact amount im not sure of. somewhere between 30 to 60 bucks i believe.

Crucial/cumura if you want to spend less.

NRX or Dobyns Dx if you want to spend more. The NRX can be had for ~330 if you look around, the dobyns in the low 200's.

Wasnt a fan of the st croix because the rods were unbalanced.

You have a lot of options here. Look at the G.Loomis GLX BCR853. It's 7'1 Ex-Fast Med-Hvy Power and a very nice multi-use rod and is really a choice you should consider. The feel and sensitivity with GLX is great, there light and very enjoyable rods to fish.

http://www.store.gagnonsports.com/index.php?product=LOO-11452-01

If your feeling like really getting into a rod you will never let go and only buy more of have a look at the NRX853 (7'1 Ex-Fast Med-Hvy) casting rod. These rods are one of a kind and truly make you go wow when you pick one up and feel the lightness of the rod. Look at the tip of NRX rods, there very thin and very strong for there diameter. 30% lighter than your GLX and over 30% stronger against impact. Get to a tackle shop and pick one up...pictures are not valid when buying rods...u need to feel them on the water. I used one and felt the differences, now I own a couple of them..there soo light and sneaky strong you can use them for anything really. I know many people that have bought these rods and pros and staff that find it hard to use other rods now. Under 490 and can always get a deal on them where ever you go, hard to go wrong.

Tightlines, looking forward to see what you decide on :)

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Mike, if you are looking for a "one off aka wedding rod"" and spending that kind of money I would recommend doing a custom rod build. Your have enough time on the water to know what you are looking for. IMO.

If am sure you can tap into a lot of guidance here about this or you can fire me a PM and I can point you in the right direction if this interests you.

Phil

Edited by Harrison

Custom rods can be great ways to go, but as Mike mentioned I think he is looking for an off the shelf model so that he can get a lifetime warranty, something that you cannot get from a custom build. With the amount of time he spends on the water, and the possibility that a client would use the rod I think off the shelf may be a better option.

You mentioned getting recoil guides. A few of the people that I talked to about rod building have not had a high opinion of recoil guides. I have heard that they are noticeably louder and not worth the extra money. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can chime in and give a more informed opinion.

I've always love the look of the Cumara rods from Shimano, but if I had the money I would love to own a loomis nrx. Since loomis blanks as no longer available to builders this is also blank material that you would not be able to get custom made.

Congrats on the wedding, remember happy wife, happy life.

Custom rods can be great ways to go, but as Mike mentioned I think he is looking for an off the shelf model so that he can get a lifetime warranty, something that you cannot get from a custom build. With the amount of time he spends on the water, and the possibility that a client would use the rod I think off the shelf may be a better option.

You mentioned getting recoil guides. A few of the people that I talked to about rod building have not had a high opinion of recoil guides. I have heard that they are noticeably louder and not worth the extra money. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can chime in and give a more informed opinion.

I've always love the look of the Cumara rods from Shimano, but if I had the money I would love to own a loomis nrx. Since loomis blanks as no longer available to builders this is also blank material that you would not be able to get custom made.

Congrats on the wedding, remember happy wife, happy life.

It's for flatline trolling walleye only.... So I'm not to worried about the recoils....I like em... Last year I got a big musky when fishing walleye... I didn't have proper landing equipment... Long story short... It broke an eye off my rod... That wouldn't have happened with recoils...

Your bang in about a custom... No warranty... St croix will keep giving me new ones if they break... This I know...my brother had the same rod replaced 2 times in a year(his fault)...and I'd never order a custom without seeing some work first...

Ended up finding a great deal on st croix legend extreme 7'11" heavy power...med fast action... For $280...my brother has this rod and it's sweet...

Ended up ordering one and my brother is getting a second for himself...

Thanks for all the advice and help... It was a pm that showed me the great deal I got...

Nice, pretty sure i know where you grabbed it from. A friend of mine got a few of the extreme models for a great price. That extreme would prob suit you better than the nrx models

I actually like the look of the blue nrx. At 500their ovepriced butlike i mentioned can be had for a lot cheaper.

Not to highjack your thread but I have a couple of questions about the custom rods.

Does the builder get a blank from a manufacturer like shimano, st. croix, lommis ect... and then add the cork and guides ?

Or does the rod builder actually make the rod from scratch ?

Also, to add my 2 cents about the rod your looking for..... I love Crucials and Lommis rods too.

I think you would be surprised at the warranty Spiel does offer, he is fair and honest (provided you are too) I have seen him do alot of warranty work... wouldn't hurt to drop him a line.

And your getting a better rod then you could buy in store.

G

Not to highjack your thread but I have a couple of questions about the custom rods.

Does the builder get a blank from a manufacturer like shimano, st. croix, lommis ect... and then add the cork and guides ?

Or does the rod builder actually make the rod from scratch ?

Also, to add my 2 cents about the rod your looking for..... I love Crucials and Lommis rods too.

They 99.99% build on a manufacturers blank....

there is so many rods in this category it's just better if you put each of them in your hand and try em out, when i was looking for a new flipping stick after trying several at gagnons I settled on a st.croix legend it felt the best to me and it was lighter than the crucuial and less money than a nrx and balanced perfectly with the mgv core that i ended up putting on it, that was one case and i am sure it's the same with everyone