Windy, Wet........WALLEYE!

limeyangler

Hi all,

Loving this early open water and taking full advantage. Headed out for walleye, was fun....seemed they were in every spot we tried. I ended up with a 22.5" male and Cliff got into a very respectable 25" female....both returned to 'get it on...bang a gong". We took a limit each and were off the lake just as it turned real nasty after a fun 5 hour session. Did i mention i love my new I-pilot? Fish all in 15-20 FOW, 4"-6" sucker and dace minnows on long shank chartreuse jig heads doing the most damage. Cliff's big fish of the day coming off a really productive mark i fish in the fall.

TODAY'S VIDEO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qERmRBQN5eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1451-1.jpg

Got some nice pike and an OOS musky too.

Sorry team 5, forgot my sign :blush:

Edited by limeyangler

"Seems they were in every spot we tried"

Those are the best days! Sure sets the bar high, too :)

The good thing is we have a long time in the boat from now to ice to reach that bar! Once we hit Lac Seul in the summer we will do fine.

Those are chunky! Was this on the big eagle?

Big Eagle? We were at the South East of Eagle Lake, its a pretty big lakwe if thats what you mean.

You just keep forgetting that sign Simon.

I am gonna put 2 in the boat this morning!

Gaaaaaaawwwddddddd.... Miss the spring walleye.

Great fishing.

Thanks man...unusually early spring though. Hang on...actually given that i have been here 5 years and this has happened twice now...its actually the norm!

You certainly having a great start to the softwater season Simon :thumbsup_anim: Sounds like fun catching walleye one after the other B)

Great job you two :good::thumbsup_anim:

Makes up for a pretty dismal hardwater season for sure...what with all the skunkypoos and no sled!

What's weird is you're ice free and my camp on basically the same latitude in QC is still locked up tight.

Very nice, and very envious. :)

I am watching the last 1 acre ice floes drifting up the west arm of wabigoon from the computer desk as i write Solo. I was told over 3 weeks ago by some 'know it all' that ALLthe small lakes from here to Kenora along Hwy 17 were open....not so. Some were half open last week. Where we were is a narrows, opens first every year, the main part of Eagle lake at Vermillion Bay and westward is still iced over.. Its windy as hell today....i am saying today is official ice out day on Wabigoon.

Love your vids and commentary lol....man i wish i lived in a different zone sometime.

You can fish Bass all year?

Thanks!

Yup, bass open all year with a few minor size restrictions. The year before last when the ice went out early we really got into the smallies. This video is from this time of year 2 years ago.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I_CZO3ssr0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really am looking forward to some bassin' next week!

Nice work there Simon, sure do envy you getting out for eyes this early! I think I heard you say that you really like your I pilot! Where did you end up getting it and what model did you go with. Is yours the 24v or 12v. I am looking at getting one as well, I have a 16' widebody with a fifty horse 4 stroke. Not sure if I should go with the 12v or 24v as I don't want to be under powered and I would prefer to keep my battery system 12v. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks Mate!

Rob C

Nice work there Simon, sure do envy you getting out for eyes this early! I think I heard you say that you really like your I pilot! Where did you end up getting it and what model did you go with. Is yours the 24v or 12v. I am looking at getting one as well, I have a 16' widebody with a fifty horse 4 stroke. Not sure if I should go with the 12v or 24v as I don't want to be under powered and I would prefer to keep my battery system 12v. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks Mate!

Rob C

Hey Rob, got mine off ebay...came in around $20 cheaper than Cabelas, but if it goes wrong I will have to go direct to Minnkota.

I think if i could have done things over...i might have gone with a 24volt instead of the 12v,sometimes....just sometimes i think the extra power would be good, under powered in gusting winds.