Supper for one.

Nipfisher

Was going through the freezer and found some Smelt from last spring. Realizing I will be getting more soon I decided to eat them up. Excellent. I sprayed the baking sheet with PAM and seasoned the Smelt with Onion powder, Garlic powder and pepper.

CIMG2626.jpg

Let's go net some more Rod Caster.

Enjoying a nice feed of smelts is something I haven't done for a very long time. Catching them, followed by a huge fishfry afterwards was a springtime ritual for many years down on the Toronto waterfront.

Thanks for the memories Nipfisher, your supper looks great !!

Is that the last of the butterfly smelt from 2011?

I'm super stoked for smeltin'. Time to buy three of those disposable nets.

Yep. One of the earlier batches I actually butterflied meaning I cut along one side of the spine so that they would lay flat on the pan. I like them better this way (folded over) and I only pull out the spine before eating leaving most of the tiny rib bones in.

Smmmmmmmmmmmmmmmelts, are a yummy snack.

Enjoying a nice feed of smelts is something I haven't done for a very long time. Catching them, followed by a huge fishfry afterwards was a springtime ritual for many years down on the Toronto waterfront.

my dad use to take me down along the beach in the rouge area behind manville for a bonfire and smelting as a kid

We would hit the 4 sisters when we were kids with my pop,grandfather and uncle. Boy it was fun,til we got home and were shown how to clean 500 or so. :wallbash: GOOD TIMES FOR SURE Lew. :thumbsup_anim:

will probably be down to the lower niagara soon for a couple dips :)

It is a strange site indeed going down there at midnight and seeing everyone wading in the lower niagara workin their dip nets, fires going, fry cooks on the shore cooking them as they come out of the river. A good ole' smelt jamboree goin on down there at all hours of the morning. Strange experience indeed lol

Was going through the freezer and found some Smelt from last spring. Realizing I will be getting more soon I decided to eat them up. Excellent. I sprayed the baking sheet with PAM and seasoned the Smelt with Onion powder, Garlic powder and pepper.

CIMG2626.jpg

Let's go net some more Rod Caster.

Where are the smelt......I see some minnows on the plate but I don't see any smelt...... :rofl2:

will probably be down to the lower niagara soon for a couple dips :)

It is a strange site indeed going down there at midnight and seeing everyone wading in the lower niagara workin their dip nets, fires going, fry cooks on the shore cooking them as they come out of the river. A good ole' smelt jamboree goin on down there at all hours of the morning. Strange experience indeed lol

I have been a witness to this also. It gets even wierder when the smelt are gone and people are filling pick up trucks with alewives that have been misidentified as smelt. After a few dozen of those babies you can kill the lights as you should be glowing bright enough to light up the entire area. From what I have heard the smelt in lake o contain enough mercury that only a few should be consumed each year. I hope this isnt the case but it wouldnt surprise me if there was some truth to this.

If yer ever in the St. Lawrence Market area, Buster's Sea Cove has fried smelt. That and their curly fries make a nice lunch break from shopping.

I like to dredge mine lightly in some flour or corn starch and s&p and fry 'em up in oil.

yup, you just made me hungry...

Edited by woodenboater

From what I have heard the smelt in lake o contain enough mercury that only a few should be consumed each year. I hope this isnt the case but it wouldnt surprise me if there was some truth to this.

Bah ....I'm more concerned with the regulated packaged and preserved foods I intake in a year than any fish I've eaten. Think about what's in a can of chef boy'ardee that allows a year long expiration date on it UNREFRIGERATED LOL.

Bah ....I'm more concerned with the regulated packaged and preserved foods I intake in a year than any fish I've eaten. Think about what's in a can of chef boy'ardee that allows a year long expiration date on it UNREFRIGERATED LOL.

BINGO.......more people die or have health problems related to red meat then anyone eating fish form the Great Lakes....the big difference here is that the red meat industry has a lobby in the USA Congress that keeps that stuff out of the press and no warning labels applied to the T-bone steak you just ate......think about it......when did you hear that Joe 3 houses down is in the hospital because he ate too much fish compared to hearing that Uncle Al is in the hospital having open heart surgery from all the juicy burgers he inhaled.... :whistling: