Need some electrical advice around pot lights and more.

Harrison

Hey all,

Had a pretty good flood at the house. Insurance contractors ripped the place up pretty good to dry it out.

I am not very good at electrical, actually not a fan of it at all to be honest.

They tore down half of the ceiling on the main floor. I have a family member who has offered me some pot lights for free basically and before they come in to drywall the ceiling again I would like to install them.

My Question - Is it possible to put in pot lights in the rest of the ceiling that is not torn down? If so, is it really hard to do. ie. snaking the wire etc? I looked online but didn't really get any solid advice.

Added a picture, not the best but the area I am asking about is to the left in the picture where the drywall is still up.

Thanks,

Phil

ceiling.JPG

Edited by Harrison

well, if your ceiling joists run perpendicular to the open area then it is simple.

lay out your lights, drill holes, run wire with fish tape or push/pull poles, install retrofit light. easy.

if your joists run paralell to the opening then you need to drill thru the joists and run wire thru them to your pot layout, which you need to take more care in now you dont see the joist themselves. there are many tricks to running wire this way but any decent experienced or licensed pot light guy should be able to traverse 2 or 3 joist cavities when the joist run this way.

its doable either way. there are tricks and specialty tools to do this, dont let some dude tell you its easier to hack your ceiling apart just because they dont know how or dont want to fiddle.

of course, if insurance is paying for the ceiling drywall anyway, just how far did the flood go......

Look like a stucco ceiling.... it will be scraped off or replaced anyways... there are tricks to installing pots if your joists run the opposite direction... namely by cutting a 2" around the perimeter, run your wires, and install crown mouldings.

Easy.

G.

first off as a qualified electrician you should be using a licenced electrician, and taking a permit out (disclaimer), just a heads up, if something were to happen ie: fire and they found out your newly installed pot lights with no permit caused it, your insurance may void the claim and your stuck with it! now that i have the leagel stuff out of the way, second yes there are many trick to fishing wires, ask your ins contractor how he is going to fix the ceiling? if he is going to scrape it all off, then cut some holes fish your wires and use retro fit potlights all you do is cut the hole wire the lights up push them back in and they have holding clips to hold it to the drywall. then for you un drywalled area you can run all the wires as mentioned earlier and then cut out for the pot lights when the ceiling is done. it is a fairly easy job as a pro but take your time and if your not sure call a pro they may be able to work with you and help you out!

Judging by the pic, it looks like your going to be drilling some holes in the joists. I have gone through a reno recently and offer you the following advice:

I wasn't thinking about this when I had my pot lights installed, but be warned that because several are required to light a room they use quite a bit of hydro(assuming your not installing led ones). Mine are 50W each. They also generate quite a bit of heat which is good in winter and bad in the summer. My plan is to wait for a sale on LED ones and then I will be replacing them. Also, its never a bad idea to have half the room on one dimmer and the other half on another dimmer, especially if the space is not fully utilized. Costco is your cheapest bet for a decent dimmer.

Thanks all. Great advice.

After reading here I think we are just going to put them in the area where the demo is. Easy peasy as I have no time to complicate things more.

Thanks again all for the heads up, guidance and expertise.

Phil

ceil.jpg

Edited by Harrison

And that does it for this thread folks.

Phil, I hope you got your answer. If not re-post or have Kevin edit his comment before its locked/deleted. Hopefully he will out of respect for you seeing how he is not the OP and this discussion can continue.

Edited by MuskyMike

I have a real problem with folks who claim to know leagal stuff when they can't even spell legal correctly. What's up with that?

He is a certified electrician not a grade school teacher.

I was talking with my friend yesterday and he told me about this comment and how he doesn't enjoy OFC any more because of some members. I had not read this thread because I have no valuable advise to give on wiring. Looks like Bob doesn't either.

This kind of stuff (negative comments and cheap shots) has to be cleaned up on this site. I like how Spud7378 had to edit his "heated" reply to conform with OFC rules but Bob should have to edit his stupid comment too.

Phil, hope you got the advice you were looking for.

I did get some great advice. Very appreciative for some expertise shared here.

I was however warned, in addition to a couple posters here, I would in fact need a permit. And since the "inusrance contractors" are completing the repairs they would be looking for one. So it's a no go. But I will be moving the light locations. :whistling: