Fishermen stranded on Simcoe

Joey

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't get it. i've never put myself in jeopardy knowingly. do they make the people eat the cost of dispatching rescue workers like they do for people who accidentally start bush fires?

First and foremost, I hope everyone is OK.

Not sure why anyone would trust that area for fishing right now. Anyone shed some light on this? I guess I'm over cautious but would be interested in knowing what the conditions are like up there. Certainly different early in the season when you have 3-5 inches of good clear ice. But now with the mild temps and rains, I would think that ice would be going honeycomb, maybe I'm wrong.

Not trying to stir anything up here, just more for my own interest.

After the winds we've had the past couple days and the main lake being open for the past 2 weeks, I can't understand why ANYONE would be out there in places where it would be considered 'iffy'.. Hell I wouldn't even be out in Kemp...

there was a fair bit of ice there yesterday

a guy was bombing around in a truck...

if it wasn't windy there would be no issue

some of the shoreline was open but once on the ice there's lots of ice

but mother nature thought Beaverton needed the ice more then Shanty Bay

Listening to the police scanner right now. The conditions are rapidly getting worse and the ice flow is breaking up :( Some rescuers are being forced back to shore

Beat me to it

Edited by Dan Bouck

CP24 has arial shots and some rescuers are stuck, looks bad!

They got all the fishermen off safely tho :thumbsup_anim:

Hat's off to the rescuers and I hope they all make it home safe and sound!

Edited by Joey

They should leave them out there for 12hrs as a lesson in stupidity.

That is the stupidest response I have ever heard! I truly hope you never make an error in judgement! But after reviewing some of your responses I think that is inevitable!

Edited by Big Cliff

Yup, an OPP helicopter rescued two rescuers and an air boat just got the rest. Terrible conditions out there tho, windy, broken ice. Sheesh. Kudos to them all for a great effort, hope they are okay as I saw them slipping and falling into the water alot!

Kudos just doesn't seem like enough does it? They risked their lives to save others, I think HEROS, each and every one of them!

None of us go out there thinking "I'm going to go get myself into trouble and see how long it takes to rescue me" do we? We go out there thinking we are safe, have taken all the necessary precautions or unless we have a death wish we wouldn't go.

Suddenly you find yourself in a situation where you underestimated/overestimated a situation and you could be fighting for your life. If you survive it's usually because of heros and people call you stupid. If you don't survive some people still seem to like to call you stupid! It is way too easy to judge someone else isn't it?

Kudos just doesn't seem like enough does it? They risked their lives to save others, I think HEROS, each and every one of them!

None of us go out there thinking "I'm going to go get myself into trouble and see how long it takes to rescue me" do we? We go out there thinking we are safe, have taken all the necessary precautions or unless we have a death wish we wouldn't go.

Suddenly you find yourself in a situation where you underestimated/overestimated a situation and you could be fighting for your life. If you survive it's usually because of heros and people call you stupid. If you don't survive some people still seem to like to call you stupid! It is way too easy to judge someone else isn't it?

Agreed Cliff, and yes, HEROES does seem the better description of them :clapping:

It is way too easy to judge someone else isn't it?

Thanks Cliff. clapping.gif

Who hasn't had an itch that needed to be scratched. While we sit safely in our homes wondering what would possess these folks to be out there, they had an itch.

Truth is some of these folks could be OFC'ers or even a good friend. I hope they all return home safely and I'd be remiss if I didn't applaud the heroic efforts of the rescue people.

Watching the helicopter video a few moments ago clearly showed how nasty and precariously close to death many faced out there, not nice!

Agreed, no one heads out thinking "I'm gonna' be on T.V." but we are also judging someone by questioning their comments.

So yes, it is too easy to judge someone else.