Last year's winternet project... With pics!

danklegrand

Since softwater season is fast approaching, I'm wondering if anyone else has the itch to start "tinkering" with their boat to prepare for the upcoming season...

Any upgrades, modifications, repairs or even general maintenance get me excited to be out on the water!

Two years ago, I bought a used 1994 Grumman 16' side console in need of a little TLC. She's a great boat, but I've spent hours getting her the wat I want her. The first project was the floors. Unfortunatley I don't have pics, but I ended up replacing the entire floor and casting decks with new marine grade plywood and carpeting. Big job, but I'm sure it'll outlast my lifetime. Plus the pride that I did it makes it feel "mine".

I figured I'd share a few photos of the console renovation I did with the help of my Dad (autobody repaiman for over 20 years) last winter. I believe the boat originally had a plain aluminum "box" console, but the guy before me made a custom fiberglass dash and guage cluster and covered it in vinyl. As you can see, it looked a little rough.

060.jpg

I decided to pretty much scrap the old one because it was looking pretty weathered... Then I started to mock-up a new version using the existing aluminum "box" as a template.

IMG00197-20110328-1949.jpg

Once I was happy with the shape and added some wood moulding for style, I started my first layer of fiberglass. I opted to use the woven stuf in lieu of the matting. It was way easier to work with.

IMG00205-20110402-1323.jpg

I decided to re-use the original guy's "guage pod" since it was pretty well done. I just cleaned it up and sanded it smooth... Then I sealed it completely with resin to help weather-proof the inside.

IMG00207-20110402-1429.jpg

Ater about 3 layers of fiberglass and a LOT of sanding, it started to take shape.

IMG00243-20110422-1130.jpg

Primer!

IMG00256-20110429-1604.jpg

We had some blue metallic left over from one of his projects, so we opted to use it to match the boat.

06.jpg

Once it was all done and looking shiny, it was time to install it on the boat and add my goodies...

IMG00287-20110518-1742.jpg

Then I added a seperate aluminum panel underneith and installed a marine radio to have some tunes on the water.

07.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty well and really imprived the look of my boat. Special thanks to my Dad, cause I don't think the glass work would have been NEAR as nice if I did it myself!

Anyone else working away on something?

I did my console a couple of years ago. No where near as much work as yours though.

I also replaced my steering system at the same time. Got rid of the regular Teleflex helm and replaced it with one of their No Feedback Helms.

I went from this:

old.jpg

To this:

new2.jpg

front.jpg

reverse.jpg

Super job. Good old POP'S came to the rescue. I'm sure Dad has a seat right beside son.

Enjoy the new look, looks like you did a good job. :good:

Thanks for the comments.

I can't let Dad take all the credit though... He was the fiberglass "supervisor". I cut all the matting with his guidance and did most of the "glassing" dirty work. He was there to help make sure I got all the bubbles out and got everything covered properly, but most of the work I did myself. Especailly the sanding... That was ALL me!

And Dad will always have a seat in my boat. After years of sitting is his, he's got a seat with his name on it as long as he's able to fish!

I did my console a couple of years ago. No where near as much work as yours though.

I also replaced my steering system at the same time. Got rid of the regular Teleflex helm and replaced it with one of their No Feedback Helms.

I went from this:

old.jpg

To this:

new2.jpg

front.jpg

reverse.jpg

This looks awesome DRIFTER! I was hoping someone else had done something like this too. It may take a little time, but that custom touch to an older boat to make it "yours" is well worth the effort.

I have been wanting to redo the console on my lund. Currently, it has a makeshift aluminum console that sits on an angle. Has anyone made a whole console from scratch? I'm not sure where to start and don't want to build off the original because of the darn angle. Also, its started to tear from lack of support and the big waves on LSC. Here's a pic of my boat.

Anyone with any ideas or even an old console sitting around?

IMG_0151.jpg

I have been wanting to redo the console on my lund. Currently, it has a makeshift aluminum console that sits on an angle. Has anyone made a whole console from scratch? I'm not sure where to start and don't want to build off the original because of the darn angle. Also, its started to tear from lack of support and the big waves on LSC. Here's a pic of my boat.

Anyone with any ideas or even an old console sitting around?

IMG_0151.jpg

I would build one similar to mine that is secured to the floor on the back and left side and to the gunnel on the right side. The left side and back go all the way to the floor and are attached by a 1" lip that is folded to the inside of the console. You could also use 1 1/2" aluminum angle to attach to the floor and console.