Out of season catches

boombap

This is interesting, regarding the PB...following the logic above I take it that no fish would qualify as a 'personal best', if it was A, not within the anglers possession limit or B, not caught by legal means.

Sooo... an 8 pound LM, with one treble hooked in the outside of the chin, and none inside the mouth...sorry, no PB for you, you're still stuck on that 4lb mark.

CPR'd a 14 lb BOQ eye, while u have a limit of eaters in the box? Sorry, no PB there, like it never happened.

Accidentally caught a sturgeon in Lake O, that was twice the size of one u accidentally landed 10 years earlier? It actually wasn't twice the size, because the sizes of these unretainable fish do not exist in this dimension.

Catch your biggest ever Cobia, that happens to be half an inch under the 36" minimum, not only not a PB, but you're a chump if you take a pic.

I fully agree that catching a fish out of season, or foul hooked, or under/over slot puts a big asterisk on the catch, but things like personal bests are just that, personal.

I think you're issue is you aren't following any logic at all. What does your rant have to do with OOS fish? You just carried on about possession and slot limits. Is it that hard to stay on topic?

I think you're issue is you aren't following any logic at all. What does your rant have to do with OOS fish? You just carried on about possession and slot limits. Is it that hard to stay on topic?

Guilty of digression, for sure. Sorry about that. Illogical, possible, but i doubt it. Rant, definitely not. Relax

To tie the 2 parts of this thread together...I was fishing Rice lake for crapppie one spring and hooked a solid bass literally as the MNR came around the point of an Island. They stayed respectfully back until I landed it and asked me to hold it up as it was a good fish on an ultralight set up. One look at my gear (slip floats and small jigs) and no worries. Actually had a good chat with them. They ended up giving some great advice on where to fish and had my best day of crappie fishing. I still call that my best day of crapppie fishing even though it wasn't my idea to go where they advised and I'll take the credit.

And once again Lew is right. A big fish is a big fish.

What if you went out with a buddy who was a muskie expert, who put u on fish that you otherwise wouldn't be on. Would the 50"er you catch not count??? Wouldn't that catch be just as valuable (if not more, since you were using proper technique and gear) than a muskie u accidentally catch on a jig head while walleye fishing???

I plan on doing most of my musky fishing this summer with a musky guide. I will be in his boat with some of his gear, exploring new waters. I will be using some of my gear too. I will not be paying for his guiding as we will spend most time on new spots scouting for fish when he is not booked. Often this is during off times, inclement weather, etc. If I catch a 45" pike or musky then it will be my PB. The "guide" I will fish with is a good friend of mine and I help him from time to time trying out new techniques, exploring new areas, and filming for his web site and his sponsors. He is incredibly knowegable about Lake Nipissing and an awesome angler.

I will catch a PB musky this sumer.

Is this a buddy, or someone I am paying for guiding services?

It'll be a little difficult to rationalize that one. :) Examples: My best bud is a guide.If he takes a friend of his fishing at no charge, the fish becomes a personal best? Or how about.... Both dudes in the boat are guides....what happens then? :D

Date: April 10, 2006 6:11:26 PM EDT (CA)

To: "Gaye Smith", "Mccrudden, Chuck \(MNR\)", "Rowe, Richard \(MNR\)" Cc: "Schenk, Mike \(MNR\)"

Subject: RE: Picture

And on another note, with names like Gaye Smith and Chuck Mccrudden you'd better not mess with them.

I especially like Chuck Mccrudden. Him and Phil Mccracken will lay down the law if you harrass OOS fish!

From all the years reading on this forum I have come to the conclusion that Ontario will clip you for ANYTHING they can for the $$$$$........with that said I whole heartly believe most of these young guys that post question like this are really worrying about something that RARELY happens. If everyone that caught a OOS fish should be fined, then we should all get our wallets out to pay the man.... :whistling:

I have come up with a way to differentiate it in MY mind....because I too, don't count OOS fish as PB's. I will have a category for "the biggest ___ I ever reeled in" for the OOS/charter boat/incidentals, and my PB's will be the ones I truly went out to catch that day. :lol:

From all the years reading on this forum I have come to the conclusion that Ontario will clip you for ANYTHING they can for the $$$$$

Not really true, Bob. There are a LOT of people who target OOS fish while claiming to be after something else. This includes some of the bass tournament guys, who get in their pre-fish for the opening weekend tournament by spending a few days flipping docks and stumps - supposedly for pike. If they get clipped, I have no sympathy whatsoever. You're right - everyone catches some OOS fish. But targeting them is a whole different thing.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

that is not an easy question

I had ne CO want to charge me and I had not caught a bass only crappie, but he said the bass spawn where I was so I was fishing for bass...

I told him he was a moron because it was I way too early for the bass to start spawning. water temp was only 50 deg F

but more to your question,, if you are fishing a known bass spot and he watches you catch more bass then walleye, he can charge you

if you re catching bass and using a big white spinnerbait and try to tell him the walleye like them or flipping 10 inch worms for walleye..there is a good chance he will charge you...in most cases they do watch before they approach, so they will have a reason to charge you if that is the case

I wish I coulda seen that LOL!! Moron!! BAAAHH.. :canadian:

Seriously though.. Could there have been say.. bass that were paired up in the area?!

I do agree with Mike. OOS is not a PB. Legit or not, keep it to yourself if you wanna snap a quick pic and don't be an internet hero. B):lol:

Kinda like getting a hole-in-one on your mulligan ... feels great but you can't count it :)

In a tournament, no. But playing a round with yer buddy? That's a hole in one!! (depending on who hits it, you or your buddywink.gif).

Speaking of hole in ones, did you know that Kim Jong Il had 11 holes in one the first round of golf he ever played? Just imagine if he had taken lessons...but i digressoops.gif

Hey Greg, your 43" PB ski that you caught the first time out with me doesn't count - as I am classed as an (un)professional guide LMAO

KIDDING

KIDDING

KIDDING

I'm with Lew - if you accidentaly catch a fish OOS while fishing for something else, it is still a PB. Will you ever get credit for it in a fishing contest? Nope. Break a record? Nope. But it is your PERSONAL best catch of that species. Now if you catch it intentionally targeting super vulnerable spawning fish like bass... that's just unsportsmanlike and PB takes on a whole new meaning (you choose!)

Edited by Fisherpete

Hey Greg, your 43" PB ski that you caught the first time out with me doesn't count - as I am classed as an (un)professional guide LMAO

I imagine there are some people on this site who would pay to go musky hunting with you. I definitely count myself lucky to have been out with you for my first ski, as I would have tottaly botched the landing and handling of that fish without your guidance.

Hopefully that PB won't last another season, and I defintely appove of your goals for the year.

Edited by fishgreg

I'm with Lew - if you accidentaly catch a fish OOS while fishing for something else, it is still a PB. Will you ever get credit for it in a fishing contest? Nope. Break a record? Nope. But it is your PERSONAL best catch of that species. Now if you catch it intentionally targeting super vulnerable spawning fish like bass... that's just unsportsmanlike and PB takes on a whole new meaning (you choose!)

Best catch of a species that was out of season, lol!! I dunno how anyone can brag about a fish like that.

I think we can all accept that while fishing for certain species sometimes you catch a different species. I personally have witnessed fisherpete pull in 2 beauty bass on musky gear. There is nothing wrong with the occasional catch of an out of sesason fish if you are not intentionally targetting them. Whether you consider it a PB is a personal matter. We are not always going to agree on everything, but it is important to respect others opinions and realize that no matter how passionately we believe in something others do not always feel the same.

I think we can all accept that while fishing for certain species sometimes you catch a different species. I personally have witnessed fisherpete pull in 2 beauty bass on musky gear. There is nothing wrong with the occasional catch of an out of sesason fish if you are not intentionally targetting them. Whether you consider it a PB is a personal matter. We are not always going to agree on everything, but it is important to respect others opinions and realize that no matter how passionately we believe in something others do not always feel the same.

I've caught some monster smallmouth on TopRaiders while fishing muskie on the French :)

I guess I just can't grasp the concept of a person saying they've caught a PB when the fish wasn't in season and cannot be legally targeted.

I've caught some monster smallmouth on TopRaiders while fishing muskie on the French :)

I guess I just can't grasp the concept of a person saying they've caught a PB when the fish wasn't in season and cannot be legally targeted.

I 100% agree with you Bill... The season is closed for a reason. Usually because big spawning fish are venerable well spawning or protecting nests. Hitting out of aggression to protect not because they are feeding..

If I caught my PB speck in my buddies pond full of giants would that count? He doesn't feed them....

And that opinion if fine, but it is yours. Some people will agree and some will not. I am not saying that you purposely did this, but sometimes when people have different opinions about things we attack them rather than the opinion.

Whatever your take on this issue as long as you are not intentionally targetting OOS you are not doing anything wrong, for lack of a bette term.

So as long as they are in season accidental PBS are cool?

Cause my pb smallie is 7.5 pounds... In season... It choked down a 8-10 inch minnow while I was musky fishing...and I'm counting it no matter what anyone says...lol...it was a tank

Actually... My pb musky was caught while walleye fishing... I was testing a 100lb floro worm harness cause we were getting bit off so often by musky... First spot we tried it I went fish for fish with my bro using a regular 10lb harness... Then pop... 53.5 incher... In season...

So as long as they are in season accidental PBS are cool?

Of course, I bet half the PB's on this board have been caught when targeting different species.. How many guys are out for bass and tie into a monster 'ski in the Kawarthas?

As long as it's in season and legal to catch, you're golden in my book.

Greg: Boating that 6lb smallie in the first week of June is still illegal whether you were targeting it or not. You can't debate that.

Edited by BillM

To be perfectly honest, I think some of you guys take fishing waaaaay too seriously, specially when it comes to the size of fish.

If your fishing a tourney for $$$$ I can see it, but if a guy is just out enjoying the day on the water and happens to catch his biggest fish out of season, who the heck really cares if he calls it his biggest ?? :dunno:

I've been fishing far longer than most of you guys have even been alive so maybe I've just caught too many fish, but I really think some of you need to lighten up and just enjoy fishing for what it's sposed to be.....FUN.

But that's just me.