Trying to decide what line to use this year

coreyhkh

I'll tell ya, i used 832 on my baitcaster and i found that it frayed alot more than other lines, and i was constantly unwrapping the line from my rod tipwallbash.gif I replaced the Suffix Siege Mono on my spinning reel with Nano, and used it twice.I unspooled it and threw it and another unopened roll in the garbage. Way too much spool memory, and i could see the line almost to the bottom of the lake.

This year, i am back to Power Pro and will probably keep using it on my baitcasters, and spool Siege back on my spinning combo.

I'm wondering if anyone can put an informed opinion on this. I know there are only a few makers of mono and fluoro and they are all pretty much the same. I've tried a few types of braid and find them all to be pretty much the same. A lot of problems that I have heard described could be a result of user error or a manufacturing defect two issues that I think happen quite often. It is much easier to blame the line than the angler.

I use either power pro or spiderwire braid, 8 or 10 lb (that's the light line, 1 to 2 lb mono equivalent diameter) mostly. I have them on a number of rods (too many!) and find that I have no problem at all with either. Started using the yellow last year with fluoro leaders and really like the visiblilty the yellow offers. The dye does cause a minor memory when lying slack on the water but this disappears immediately under the least amount of tension on the line. I find the casting distance greater along with much better feel when fishing the bottom. I change it end for end on the reels every year & get several years use as a result (cheaptackle - that's me!) making it less expensive than mono in the long run. Great knot strength (uni of course) and no tangle issues at all as long as a bit of tension is kept on the line before reeling. Any problems I've ever had or seen are directly related to letting the line be slack when reeling or poor knot tying, never any defect in the line itself. I've only experienced fraying when fishing heavy cover/obstacles extensively, chop off a foot or two and continue - but not as often as mono for sure, the fluoro leader takes most of the beating as it should.

Maybe I've been lucky but I have to give them both a 10/10 based on my experience.

Michael

I like my PowerPro for everything but topwater and jerking.

Any slack pulling in with a braid will cause problems on the reel.

Also because the line goes slack for a split second when that smallie jumps and her head leans towards you, I find braid for topwater results in more spit hooks. Talked to some Bass Pros and they seemed to agree

Mono for topwater and jerking. I still like Trilene. Little memory and acceptable stretch

Would be open for another mono with less stretch but low memory if anybody knows of one.

Edited by captpierre

I agree with fishgreg to a certain degree. User error could play a roll in the problems i, and others have had with 832 and Nano. But i have lost confidence in both. Power Pro and Siege mono has been good to me,and help catch me a ton of fish, so i will revert to what i am confident with.

I like Nanofil on spinning reels. Because it floats and isn't a braid it's also excellent on a float reel.

Power Pro Super Slick is pretty nice stuff. Definitely like it better than Suffix 832.

All that said you should take a close look at the Tuf Line braids. The Duracast is especially nice on spinning reels. Not a lot has been said about these lines, but they're great!

Started using Power pro 12 or 13 yrs ago when it was first brought up to Canada and we were part of the team. That was my first introduction to braid. I stuck with it for many years, then switched to Tuf-line.

Since I have tried them all at one point or another. Really liked the P-line braid for a while and Spider Thread. Tried all the newer line as well except for Nanofil as of yet in open water.

Couple years back I returned to Tuf-line. Very good quality, great variety and a great price point.

Give it a shot one time.

I've been using Power Pro on all my musky rigs for 8 or 9 years now and have never had any issues of any kind whatsoever.

It does everything I want it to.

My thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it and I personally see no reason for me to even try anything else.

I use a spinning real for topwater and with PowerPro in my hands, the line goes on the spool too loose and then on subsequent casts a bunch of line in a knot flies off the spool. Maybe it's the rod - too stiff?

Most likely due to it being a spinning reel. Have you ever tossed topwater with a baitcaster? Once you do, you'll never go back :)

Power Super Slick is very new and is talked about lot's. Think I'm going to fish it this year on all rods that have Braid on them. Still sticking to my Trilene 100% fluoro tho for other applications.

Well see how it holds up. The Timber Brown is a nice color and the Green looks more lighter in color now. Well see what fading the new PP shows after some hours in the boat.

I've been using Power Pro on all my musky rigs for 8 or 9 years now and have never had any issues of any kind whatsoever.

It does everything I want it to.

My thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it and I personally see no reason for me to even try anything else.

Your very right Lew, regular Power Pro is still available as far as I know. About a $3-$5 dollar price difference between lines too depending on where you look.

I've been using a bunch of different braids in the past years....starting with Gorilla Braid. It did a fine job. I tried Spiderwire after that and found that the plastic coating could get rubbed off and leave that portion of the line thinner and very limp. I then got some Mason Tiger braid in 18 lb test. Great stuff but real hard to tie properly. It's like a Fireline with a braided coating. It's very limp and casts great. It can wrap around the rod tip easier but the great casting cancels that small negative point. The only braid that I did not like was the Remington braid. I now have Tuf Line on a few baitcasters and it's a great line. But the Tuf Line that I have does not have a coating to render the line less limp. There are at least 3 kinds of Tuf Line on the market.

I still have my first Fireline on a spool for spinning. Still going great after more than 10 years. Still my favourite line in all sizes under 12 lb test. I use 4 lb to 10 lb Fireline on a couple of spinning reels.

For those who like monofilament, I recommend clear Berkley Sensation. I thought it was a monofilament and then recently noticed that it's a copolymer. Now I know why it's a bit harder to cut with my teeth. I use it in 4 lb test only. It is very similar to Berkley XL as to how it acts but does not have as much stretch as the XL.

I tried Silver Thread in 6 lb test and 8 lb test and was very pleased. Mustad ULight in 6 lb test has been great for jigging walleyes. I will try the 6 lb test Mustad Thor real soon because the 330 yard spool came for free when I bought the 330 yards of Mustad ULight for 6 dollars.

I have been reading about Nanofil lately and about 80% of the people who use it just rave about it. It's the exact same size as Fireline so don't fall for the hype that it is thinner.

Of course, lines like Nanofil or Fireline have memory but, that is only in strengths above 10 lbs.

The problem of why some people like some lines and others hate them is the fact that they forget to say in what size these lines are. Another thing is that some manufacturers do not label their lines the same way. Fireline is over 2 times stronger than what is marked on the box. That's to compensate for the knot strength and shock strength. A no stretch line has way less shock strength....just like a metal chain in comparison to a metal cable. Braid has a bit more stretch than fused line....maybe 6% compared to maybe 4% for Fireline or Nanofil which is similar in construction.

One line that I will never use as a main line is fluorocarbon. I've had real bad luck with that stuff. I've tried Vanish and Seaguar. On top of that, fluorocarbon that has been stressed, stays stressed (damaged) while monofilament springs back. The Sensation copolymer has surprised me. I tried copolymer line a long time ago and did not like it because it was too stiff or too large or too much memory. I guess that is not true of some of the modern copolymer lines.

When buying lines, wear your glasses and read what diameter it is. Sure Stren Original Clear is strong but it is also larger in diameter for the rated strength.

Premium or tournament lines do break close to their rated strength. That's why they exist....people want this. Cheap lines are often less consistent in quality throughout their entire length. Stren is one of them. High quality (more expensive) premium lines are much more consistent....ex.; Tectan Premium.

I want very thin, clear, very strong, less stretchy line.....lol. It does not exist.

Actually it does. You may want to check out the new Senshi monofilament made by Seaguar.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/seaguar-senshi-monofilament/

The line is the same size as other monofilaments having the same rated strengths and the same diameter as Berkley Sensation copolymer. If I ever run across a spool of this line, I will try it. It's probably expensive.....which is ok for a premium line. You pay for what you get.

The line is the same size as other monofilaments having the same rated strengths and the same diameter as Berkley Sensation copolymer. If I ever run across a spool of this line, I will try it. It's probably expensive.....which is ok for a premium line. You pay for what you get.

The difference is this mono has little to no stretch, and is still limp.

And no it's not overly expensive.

You did say "less stretchy" didn't you?

Edited by solopaddler