Who's coming to the Bay of Quinte for opener?

duber

Just wondering who is coming down for opening day on the bay.

Although I only live a couple miles from a boat launch on Big Island I will be camping at Fosters Fishing center for opening weekend with a couple buddies.Should be a good time.Everything we need is right there.They have bait,a weigh station for the derby and are having a fish fry Saturday evening.We can dock the boat for the weekend and don't have worry about driving anywere so we can have a beverage or two and meet up with some fisher folk to exchange a story or two.Can't wait! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I do think it is going to be tough fishing thow as the walleye are just starting to spawn cause of the cold weather.

Anybody from the board going to Fosters?

Wes

@ Pickerel Park, 3 of us from the board and some others...2 min from you Lew...

Easton, we started camping at Pickeral Park in 1955 when it was basically just the backyard of the General Store, and we pitched our tents right on the beach. I don't think permanent trailer sights had even been invented yet :lol:

That place sure has changed alot in the last 50 odd years and the original owner, Ernie Mepstead, has been gone about 30 years now.

Maybe we'll see you on Hay Bay on the long weekend.

Lew My family started going to the bay about 60 years ago. My Grandparents had a 2 cottages a stone throw away from the park I have been going there all my life. When there were two parks on the site Pickerel and Sundowner. We've had a place there for 20 years and now it is all one park 255 sites. A couple of owner changes over the years.

It would be great to meet up at some point over the weekend....and swap stories.

Thanks Lew that great photo!....I will try and dig some old ones pics of my Dad's from the cottages (all in B&W) I will try and post them.

That spot is still the same it is the boat launch now. Other than that jam about 20 trailers in that area now and a row of rental cottages.

Hey Guys,

Funny you should mention the Sundowner my grandparents owned it. I grew up spending summers in Picton on my Grandparents farm tending to the animals and fishing in my spare time as a wee lad... brings back alot of memories

Thank you!

Gerritt.

That's great! Spent a lot of time there in my youth! I remember when they had the pool table and a store in what is now the lodge @ Pickerel Park. The Cottages my family had were on the same side of the road. 2 lane ways down from Sundowner. Did your grandparents own it when it was sold to P.P.

Easton, I would have to ask them... and right now my family is not on talking terms :( (My own personal choice)I do remember alot about the Sundowner however and helped out quite a bit in between the Farm duties... it was great! I always looked forward to my summers... Drinking raw milk and Eating a cow named after me LOL... I remember picking up the "metal muffins" (hated that part) getting chickens ready for the table etc...

I had a great time growing up there during the summers, it defiantly taught me all about what a fulls day work was all about.

Gerritt

I will be there opening weekend with my BOQ partner I will be in my buddies new boat.He insists on bringing his boat,I think its because the Novelty has not warn off.We are staying at Bayside Cottages in Picton not far from Green Point and the power lines.

I will be in a grey Lund 1660 Classic side console with blue striping and a 60hp Mercury.Like to meet some of you guys.

I will be back with my boat on the 18th,19,20,and21st of May.Staying at Mohawk Bay Park Campground.

Lew the following Friday is the 11th.I thought you were going on the long weekend.

Who will be going for the May long weekend.

Mike

Lew the following Friday is the 11th.I thought you were going on the long weekend.

Who will be going for the May long weekend.

Mike

Yup your right Mike, my mistake on the date, I thought opening weekend was the one before the long weekend, but it looks like someone slipped in an extra weekend when I wasn't lookin. :whistling:

We'll be there from the 18th till the 21st.

See you there fishingguy28.I will be in a 26 foot Golden Falcon (mid 80's) towed by 1996 white Chev extenedcab 4x4 and fishing out of a older Lund Mr Pike with a Suzukie motor.I'll be with two other guys.One will be driving the boat and one will be whinning "theres no fish"or"why can't I catch anything" :blahblah1::rolleyes: . Should be a blast.

Wes

P.S. Lew,

I usally don't hurt the population too much :rolleyes:

Edited by duber

Hmm, it seems I will be there as well, although, since Sonny has given me a ton of homework, reading and preparation and Easton has a list of chores as long as his arm that need doing, I am not sure I will be on time. LOL.

Very much looking forward to it! With all of us up that way we should think of getting together somewhere! Just a thought... when not fishing of course.

(somehow I think I am going to be very busy on the water and should possibly bring a sleeping bag for the boat, thanks Bro!) :)

Cheers to all, not long now!

Jen