jiffy 3500 problems

ch312

ok had it looked at problem solved, runs great, but a stupid fix. Nothing was done to the motor, you have to prime it 15 times, and it fires right up no problems first or second pull! sounds stupid but thats from the dealer. works great now, no regrets buying it anymore!

Higher octane level makes the combustion chamber run cooler.The cooler the chamber the denser the air and or fuel if carburated. increasing combustion at TDC.

In turn creates a higher combustion ratio.This only happens in engine that are made to run 87 octane not high compression engines.

in a car engine it will automatically idiot you timing for this problem.Engines with out self timing it could be detrimental.

Where do you get this Information?? I've been a mechanic for 15 years, and I've never read something so ludicrous!!

Where do you get this Information?? I've been a mechanic for 15 years, and I've never read something so ludicrous!!

Remember "just because 15 years" doesn't always make something right or something else wrong. I've heard that too, higher octane burns cooler and helps eliminate pre detonation. As part of that event, carbon can be deposited in the combustion chamber and actually cause the volume of the cc to decrease, increasing the compression. Exactly what Tybo said.

Shouldn't have to push the primer 15 times. Sounds like you've got an issue with the carb.

I agree you shouldn't have to push the primer 15 times, most of those units the primer actually suck the gas up from the tank, through the carb, through the primer bulb then back to the tank. Once the primer bulb is full and any air that was in the carb is out, you should be good to go, anything more than that isn't going to make any difference. Simon had his auger here last weekend, 4-5 pumps on the primer, turn on the choke, started first or second pull every time.

Edited by Big Cliff

I agree you shouldn't have to push the primer 15 times, most of those units the primer actually suck the gas up from the tank, through the carb, through the primer bulb then back to the tank. Once the primer bulb is full and any air that was in the carb is out, you should be good to go, anything more than that isn't going to make any difference. Simon had his auger here last weekend, 4-5 pumps on the primer, turn on the choke, started first or second pull every time.

Ah, don't know what model you have, all the Jiffy ones I've ever seen have an "open" primer that activates the diaphram, causes fuel to enter the carb and into the bottom of the crank case where it enters the combustion phase. No fuel/oil is ever returned to the gas tank. Matter of fact, I've never ever seen a retuern fuel line from any of those carbs back to the tank.

had her out again on friday. it's still not starting as quickly as i'd like (2-3 pulls) but it seems to be getting better. maybe it just needs to be run some more?

anyways, i had quite the little mishap after my bulky mitten got caught on the throttle while i was walking with the auger. ended up with a bruise on my shin and a 2" slice in the top of one of my $180 baffin boots before i got it under control. the blade sliced through most of the pack in the boot and was about 1/8" from gettin me toes :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ah, don't know what model you have, all the Jiffy ones I've ever seen have an "open" primer that activates the diaphram, causes fuel to enter the carb and into the bottom of the crank case where it enters the combustion phase. No fuel/oil is ever returned to the gas tank. Matter of fact, I've never ever seen a retuern fuel line from any of those carbs back to the tank.

No, there isn't a return line from the carb to the tank. Fuel line goes to the carb from the tank. Then there is a line from the carb to the primer bulb inlet and a line from the primer bulb outlet back to the tank. When you push the primer bulb down it pushes gas/air that is in the primer bulb to the tank, when you release the primer bulb it sucks air/gas from the carb which creates a vacuum and draws gas from the tank into the carb.

This is taken right from the Jiffy operators manual:

1. Press primer bulb until gas (return) line is free of bubbles.

So if the only ones you have ever seen don't have a return line you might want to contact Jiffy, you are missing a part!

So if the only ones you have ever seen don't have a return line you might want to contact Jiffy, you are missing a part!

Well on my Model 30 Jiffy, there is no return line via the primer and yes the auger has been making noise(motor running) and drilling a hockey sack of holes for the last 20 years. The primer is located on the left side of the engine cowl below the on/off switch. There is one(1) black tube from the rear of the primer that runs to the bottom of the diaphram cover. No gas ever enters this tube. When you press and release this primer, it pushes up on the needle valve to allow a squirt of gas into the carb. I'm quite sure Feldman Engineering didn't build just one special Jiffy model 30 for me alone.

had her out again on friday. it's still not starting as quickly as i'd like (2-3 pulls) but it seems to be getting better. maybe it just needs to be run some more?

anyways, i had quite the little mishap after my bulky mitten got caught on the throttle while i was walking with the auger. ended up with a bruise on my shin and a 2" slice in the top of one of my $180 baffin boots before i got it under control. the blade sliced through most of the pack in the boot and was about 1/8" from gettin me toes :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

After that, I would like to sugest, on behalf of your toes , that you put that machine down, and never talk of it again.

Well on my Model 30 Jiffy, there is no return line via the primer and yes the auger has been making noise(motor running) and drilling a hockey sack of holes for the last 20 years. The primer is located on the left side of the engine cowl below the on/off switch. There is one(1) black tube from the rear of the primer that runs to the bottom of the diaphram cover. No gas ever enters this tube. When you press and release this primer, it pushes up on the needle valve to allow a squirt of gas into the carb. I'm quite sure Feldman Engineering didn't build just one special Jiffy model 30 for me alone.

You know what, good for you! All I have ever done is try to help people on this board but you always seem to know better than anyone else so from now on, I'll just keep my mouth shut and let you help everyone!

Have fun!