electricity

kuhaman

My cottage had no hydro lines so I installed a solar system. I used collected rain water and a 12 volt on demand pump for water that was heated with propane. A propane fridge and stove and a woodstove for heat made it feel like we had hydro hooked up. Oh yea.....a composting toilet made trips to the outhouse just a memory....

A couple of good sized panels with a good battery setup and you should be fine, you won't have enough power to run electrical heating but you will have enough for lighting, basic appliances (toaster or coffee maker), a water pump and battery power for your propane fridge. It can be done, just depends on how much you are willing to pay up front and also factor in maintenence costs as well (battery replacement and the like). I've got a client who did that with his cabin up near Parry Sound, he's off the grid and he lives there year round now. He chops lots of firewood in the spring to feed the woodstove to keep the place toasty warm (actually hot).

A couple of good sized panels with a good battery setup and you should be fine, you won't have enough power to run electrical heating but you will have enough for lighting, basic appliances (toaster or coffee maker), a water pump and battery power for your propane fridge. It can be done, just depends on how much you are willing to pay up front and also factor in maintenence costs as well (battery replacement and the like). I've got a client who did that with his cabin up near Parry Sound, he's off the grid and he lives there year round now. He chops lots of firewood in the spring to feed the woodstove to keep the place toasty warm (actually hot).

Do you know what type of inverter and batteries your client is using?

Trace makes a nice inverter...I would go with a 24 volt system thats good for 3000 watts....If you plan on living off the grid, a small wind generator would give you a boost in the winter when you only get a few peak hours of charging. A digital charge controller would also help.

If you are off the grid, you sill get a bill for delivery to the pole out side your house.Got to feed the government.

And if you don't pay it, then what? They cut off the power to that pole? I find it hard to believe that any court would find against the home owner if ON Hydro were to sue for an outstanding bill in regards to absolutely nothing. But then again, common sense and courts don't always go hand in hand.

Look at your electric bill. They deliver you don't have to use it.You will pay the delivery charge. Gas is the same thing

So if you are not connected to the pole and you cancel your hydro service they charge you just because.

If you are not hooked up to the grid and do not get a bill and do not want their service there is no way they can charge you for it.

So if you are not connected to the pole and you cancel your hydro service they charge you just because.

If you are not hooked up to the grid and do not get a bill and do not want their service there is no way they can charge you for it.

I believe you actually need to get your wires disconnected and the meter removed otherwise you will pay