In side what makes The Skipper Tic

Skipper D

I would like to share in side this post for the next while as well as gather information about any thing and every thing to do with fishing . I will do my best to share what little i know or go find out for others who don't know and ask others here to do the same . My first question to get the ball rolling is .................... this is some thing i do and wonder if others are doing the same or is it just a lost cause ............ i got the idea last summer that i could perhapes control the size of fish i would catch if i was to adjust the size of my hook opening by doing so with a pair of plyers to change the size of the hook , was i thinking stupid or do others do this also ?

Edited by Skipper " D "

funny .......... at the time i was trying to come up with a way to keep the gobies from getting on and once i had the hook small enough the bites stoped all together , i never thought about getting the hook to set tho , there were other times when i had fish marking with nothing other then nibbles and open the hooks and got action ........... now i am a guy who has minumal tackle in the box and who is learning from the bottom up and trying to still keep it fun for my self with out running to the tackle shop and spending a fortune to have what the pro's have , still i am not stupid to learn that yes there are some things you can't do with out , i am not sure how to spell the next word i'd like to use and maybe i can .. utillize is what i like to do with whats in the tackle box if you will .

YES Skippy you are correct.....that is why there are so MANY different hook sizes available....not to mention different kinds of hooks in the same size....it's pretty much endless when you start talking hooks....and then you want to modify said hooks....oh my.....maybe you should start a hook chart of all those sizes and kinds available and then show all the modifications one could make with said hooks to custom improve them even more....

Please make sure you list them all here when your done.... :)

Willy Wob

Might wanna rethink the small hook... small fish idea Skip. Sure if you don't want small fish try a huge hook.. and even that doesn't work with greedy pike and pickeral smashing musky baits. But thinking a small hook won't get you a big fish.. well this was caught on a 1/16th ounce jig with a hook opening of less than a 1/4" !

Feb15to22nd2010022.jpg

Might wanna rethink the small hook... small fish idea Skip. Sure if you don't want small fish try a huge hook.. and even that doesn't work with greedy pike and pickeral smashing musky baits. But thinking a small hook won't get you a big fish.. well this was caught on a 1/16th ounce jig with a hook opening of less than a 1/4" !

Feb15to22nd2010022.jpg

Awsome

, so maybe i should rest my case right here .

Baitcaster or spinning reel.Its your time to shine Ron.

Newbies are shy sometimes. I remember when i was only 3 months on here, and people were talking about worm blowers.dunno.gif I had no idea what the heck that was, and i thought they were joking around.I jumped in with a comment, and immediately wish i hadnt.Got spanked pretty bad by a fewblush.gif

I had to google it to find out what it was.

So, maybe a simplistic "how to" post is a good thing.A place where newbies can feel free to ask silly questions, without sounding silly.

Go fishing more often and fish with people willing to teach! Its the difference between learning from a book and learning hands-on. Judging by some of your amazing handy work, I'd say your a hands-on learner!

...hands on learner , with nac ....lol . Thank you RC

Funny, I use to be able to carry all the tackle I needed for a days fishing in a little box in my pocket. Over the years, it got to be that three tackle boxes weren't enough and if I didn't have at least six rods at my ready, something was wrong. Funny thing is, I think I caught more fish back when I just carried the tackle in my pocket LOL.

The last few years I have started winding it back down and going back to basics. I still have just as much fun, seem to catch as many if not more fish, and spend a lot less!

Hooks? A package small, medium, and large, if that doesn't work oh well! LOL