metal lipped lures

tomO

The first plastic lipped lures I recall were the original Rapalas, late 50's, most lures that predate that were metal lipped, like Jitterbugs, Pikie Minnows, River Runts, probably cause there was no plastic when they were designed. Most of the metal lipped lures are old designs or based on old designs or so it seems to me :whistling:

I know for Hot'n'Tots many people complained when they switched them to plastic lips. Particularly because when you troll them, the metal lip smacks on the bottom/rocks and is supposed to help elicit a strike.

You can also bend them to change or correct the lure action.

I don't think it has anything to do with strength. Most mass produced baits are molded/poured and so the plastic/lexan lip is incorporated in the build. Manually made or assembled baits will often have metal lips because they're much easier to affix to the bait....the lip angle etc is always spot on. I prefer Lexan but it's much more work when it's a manual build.

Never caught a fish on a metal lipped lure... Don't know why... I've tried then on prime spots without any results...

i guess it comes down to confidence. When i was a young lad, fishing with Dad, we caught all our fish on metal lipped lures. I dont remember him haveing any plastic lipped, until Rapala came out with their original floating lures.He had alot of lures that had the diving surface carved out of the face of the lure also,no lip at all.

Never caught a fish on a metal lipped lure... Don't know why... I've tried then on prime spots without any results...

We have caught TON of walleyes here on Erie with Hot 'N Tots....the small ones and also the larger size....you should try a couple....walleyes like to almost swallow the smaller size Hot 'N Tots.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Storm174-Hot-N-Tot-Lure/1164591.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhot%2Bn%2Btots%2Blure%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hot+n+tots+lure&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

lure lips that are metal are normally much costlier. as time went on plastics and lexan is the norm.. theres a huge difference between plastic and lexan for lure lips.

as for the storm lures hoten-tot and wiggle warts. the actual plastic the lures were built with created changes.. re-cycled plastics does not carry the rattle effects as virgin plastics.

lure lips that are metal are normally much costlier. as time went on plastics and lexan is the norm.. theres a huge difference between plastic and lexan for lure lips.

as for the storm lures hoten-tot and wiggle warts. the actual plastic the lures were built with created changes.. re-cycled plastics does not carry the rattle effects as virgin plastics.

Don't know about the new Hot 'N Tots but all the old ones I have don't have rattles....for rattles you had to move up to the Wiggle Warts....back in the day my walleye tournament partner and I did field test studies in the High School pool on these lures...(he's a gym teacher)....Wiggle Warts made a LOT of noise underwater.

They don't dive as deep as I like... I like my baits to dig ditches in 15-20FOW

OH, they dive that deep....I use the smaller ones long lining at the head of the Niagara River where Erie dumps in....I always scrape bottom on 15-17' ridge that I target for walleyes.....not sure about the larger Hot 'N Tots but they have to go deeper....we only used them off the boards in deep open waters (80'+) for suspend walleyes.

Billy Bob and I fish the same end of Erie, mostly suspended fish, Hot n Tot would dive about 10-12 feet when 75 foot back of a cannonball, good stealthy approach. :thumbsup_anim:

Another lure that worked great eastern Erie was the metal lipped jointed Canadian Wiggler, often with a bit of worm on the front treble in fact it is all metal :sarcasm:

Billy Bob and I fish the same end of Erie, mostly suspended fish, Hot n Tot would dive about 10-12 feet when 75 foot back of a cannonball, good stealthy approach. :thumbsup_anim:

Another lure that worked great eastern Erie was the metal lipped jointed Canadian Wiggler, often with a bit of worm on the front treble in fact it is all metal :sarcasm:

I like to run the smaller Hot 'N Tots 6' behind the cannon ball over all those rock piles better know a Waverly Shoals....took a TON of LARGE walleyes off that shoal doing that....it seems that the cannon ball triggers the bite because it moves a lot of water down there....then comes that little Hot 'N Tot right behind it....I could see the fish spike on my graph as we moved over them....We catch a lot of walleyes doing this while everyone else is not doing well there...ESPECIALLY if it's calm....Windmill Point is another one of my hot spots for doing this also....taken some nice 10+ lb walleyes off that point, usually later in the year...August was our peak month at Windmill Point.

Bob

OH, they dive that deep....I use the smaller ones long lining at the head of the Niagara River where Erie dumps in....I always scrape bottom on 15-17' ridge that I target for walleyes.....not sure about the larger Hot 'N Tots but they have to go deeper....we only used them off the boards in deep open waters (80'+) for suspend walleyes.

I'll have to check em out then...

I'll have to check em out then...

Now I'm LONG lining....at least 100' back using only 8# test mono....no other weight used....just a small Berkley cross lock snap is tied on the line....nothing else.

And double check the lure at the side of the boat....sometimes they run off to the side....not good...adjust the metal clip one way or the other AND not too fast or they will roll up on you.

Bob

unless you're trolling open water/suspended fish, long lining is not really an option if you're fishing structure and you want pinpoint accuracy. hence the need for lures with steep dive curves that get down with minimal amount of line.

unless you're trolling open water/suspended fish, long lining is not really an option if you're fishing structure and you want pinpoint accuracy. hence the need for lures with steep dive curves that get down with minimal amount of line.

And that's why god invented lead core!

Typically we use 1/4 oz hotnTots on Quinte in the spring... and using lead core when trolling the flats is an excellent way to dial in the exact depth you want and be able to repeat based on success... in the fall, 1/2 to 3/4 oz HotnTots have also done well... but I gotta admit that I am less than fond of reeling the 3/4 oz in, unless there's a fish on it!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

And that's why god invented lead core!

you're still fishing with a boat load of line (leadcore) out, 100+' behind the boat. Making sharp turns to follow contours of structure is impossible. but it works great if you're just driving in a straight line.

i've lures that are pretty much a 2:1 line out/depth ratio. ie. 40' line out, 20' deep on wire.

Edited by Raf