Hardcore Stealheading in January

icefisherman

After some good intelligence I've decided to try new for me river today and the risk was worth it....Got to love winter stealheading...only for the real hardocre fishermen ha ha ha

4/6 for the day with some real nice fresh steelies but it was cold....pictures bellow don't do justice....tired of clearing my line/float/guides from ice every couple minutes....I am quite used with the clearing exercise on the ice but it is one thing to clear ice of 30" ice rod and much trickier to do it with the 13' float rod.

One of the fish I got came with a bonus Rapala attached to it ha ha ha....hooks were not rusted so it wasn't swimming with it for long....anyhow fish went back in the river swimming much happier now without the extra drag on the side of its mouth ha ha ha...and I got s tiny rapala ha ha ha...if someone wants to claim it as their own they can have it ;-))

Lots of ice floating in the river very hard to find a spot away from the main current to cast in without landing my float on top of ice blocks...those things were everywhere....zillions of them....took about 5-6 hours before they all cleared...still a nice day considering ice fishing for whities and lakers on Simcoe is still weeks away.....the steelies will have to do in the meantime....

Here are few shots for your viewing pleasure:

WP_000113.jpg

WP_000106.jpg

WP_000109.jpg

WP_000108.jpg

WP_000110.jpg

WP_000111.jpg

WP_000112.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Great report bud.

Are you running P line hydra float as your main? With the temps down yoUr way,I,m sure it,s ok,but up here,when it,s -8 or more,Im changing to a mono main.

I like the idea of the color,so I can see where my line is.

As for the float shot. I was breaking 1/16 of ice OFF the float it,s self. LOL

Your getting off easy. :wallbash::canadian:

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Misfish

Good for you getting out. My favourite time of year when the rivers are open. I am usually ice fishing them now. My fav river looked prime last night! Biting at the bit.

On another note, try moving your reel down a few inches on your cork, you my like the extra room above the reel while fighting the fish. I do. My reel would be down close to the elastic. Jsut something else to try.

Actually going back to using spinning reels in the real cold now too. My hand is a bit beat up from punching hockey helmets and as I get older and colder I find the spinning a bit easier for me to use.

Cheers.

Edited by Harrison