Gas furnace

Gregoire

When I returned home on Sunday morning the house was unusually cold. Turns out the fan on our 25 year old oil furnace is dead. I was hoping to burn off the oil before swapping the old furnace but looks like that plan is not going to work. The furnace is still working and giving off ambient heat plus we have some space heaters that are doing a good job of keeping the house warm so I can shop around a bit. I'm just wondering how much I should spend on a new gas furnace.

Just for a little added info: we live in a bungalow in East York and I am looking for a furnace that qualifies for the Eco audit rebate. I am also looking for a price that includes the the disposal of the old furnace and the oil tank. Any information that you can share with me is greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid that swapping out the motor is beyond my limited ability as a handyman. I did examine that option but it would cost at least a couple of hundred dollars, and that is money I'd rather spend on musky gear.

Once you price out the cost of the new furnace and labor AND oil tank removal you might reconsider replacing that blower motor.

replaced mine a few years ago... a friend of mine happens to be in the HVAC business... cost was 1500 for a new Bryant High efficiency, and a bunch of new duct work.... I realize he was doing me a favour as I am in the building industry and have worked with him on several large projects.... but he certainly did not do it for free and still put some dollars in his pocket...

I am posting this just so you can have some idea on the markup of materials and labour....

Now as for your oil tank.... that is a whole other ball of wax.. see if you can sell off the oil remaining... but these tanks are considered a hazardous material in most municipalities.

G.

I had a guy in today who quoted me 6 grand for the job. The furnace is a trane xv95 that was quoted at 3900 and the removal of the old furnace and the oil tank is 850. The labour cost are 485. I spent the day on the phone today. I just wanted some input as I have no idea what the differences are between types of furnaces or how much the job should cost.

Edited by fishgreg

Much more info needed to even give a ball park on that...

How many sq feet is your home? (The amount of space needed to heat will determin the size of unit required.)

Also do you currently have A/C or not (makes a big difference when it comes to the plenum etc.)

Do you want humidity control?

What kind of control wires are being run (how many wires)

Other things to consider...to get the Eco credit you will need a High effeciency I'd imagine (more $$$$)

As for removal of the oil tank...I have no idea, but it ain't cheap.

I already have A/C so that is one less thing to worry about.

I see you added this as I was typing LOL!

That Actualy may make your new unit more expensive...

You will need a unit that fits your current coils, or have to replace the coils(depending on the age and condition)

And it may effect the pricing on a rebuild of a plenum to fit the new unit.

Until your estimator see's it its all in the air so as Lew said I'd get 4 quotes and go from there but if your asking me...

How many BTU's are you looking for?

I paid about $7K for mine (but it had to be an outdoor unit - dont ask - and it was also an air-conditioner) ... I thought I was gonna get this great big rebate .. well it turns out the 'seer' wasnt quite where it needed to be ... so NADA ...and less than a year in it started making an unholy-bang when the air-conditioner turned off ... Called Carrier .. and although the 'part' itself is warranteed it was still gonna be about $800 labour - IF - I could find somebody interested in fixing it ... to quote my close friend Yosemite Sam ... OOOH I HATES HVACs !

Edited by camillj

i think it would also depend on how long you intend to keep the house. if you're leaving in a year or two you may want to look at something more economical. if you intend to stay for an extended period than invest in quality

Not much else to add but go hi efficiency if you can ( is this a condition of the eco deal ?). We got ours a number of years ago and the gas bills dropped like a rock (yeah our old one had done it's job but still). The electrical bill should drop as well with the dc motor. Price difference between mid and hi was negligible in our case.

Depending on the quality of the unit and how much aleration of ductwork, plenum, and electrical, refrigeration lines, and drainage is needed I wouldn't pay more then $3200

just say'n cause the unit shouldn't be more then $1300 so the rest is going to be labour to move the lines, and fabricate the ductwork etc...

I'm by no means an expert, but I've done this twice over.

Get four quotes and good luck :)