Scugog Walleye Report Jan 14th - Pics

Slayingm

When my son came over Friday night and wanted to go out for a ice fish for Walleye Saturday I thought great! That is til I woke up it the morning to nearly -30 Wind chill temps!!!!---Burr.

Screaming north winds under sunny cold front conditions made me want to stay in bed but after a quick Bacon and Egg breakfast and some coffee off we went. Thank goodness for the hardtop on the Argo. I was able to totally block the wind and fish on the calm side with the sun shining on our faces.

The fish were really negative so I dropped down to lighter line and we worked minnow tipped jigs slowly right on bottom. We focused on deep edges off weedflats in approx 9-10ft. Afterabout 30mins into the game I felt a light 'thump' and iced this 19" beauty ...

bogwalleye011412.jpg

After no other action other then a couple of small perch we moved to a different GPS spot and within minutes had another clone fish on the ice... it was so cold the fish froze in less then a minute. Here is a pic of my son holding up a couple nice ones while I froze my fingers for a quick picture..

bogwalleye2011412.jpg

Even though the conditions were brutally cold and windy we enjoyed another great Father and Son time on the hard water!

Take care and be safe out there.. Greg.

Right on !

All 3 are the perfect eater size.

Good report. :thumbsup_anim:

Good lookin' fish. Even though for years, I had a hut off Washburn, I'm know old enough to be hesitant to get on the ice. Please P.M me if you have any advice of safe ice.

You got out with your son and iced a few. Congrats on that :thumbsup_anim:

But 2 walleye for someone like yourself is the reason I don't fish the bog through the ice anymore even though it's the closest fishing hole to me. Not too many years ago 4 fish each would have been a brutally poor day. Double digit numbers fish for the 40 minute window of an evening bite was not uncommon. The walleye fishery is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

You got out with your son and iced a few. Congrats on that :thumbsup_anim:

But 2 walleye for someone like yourself is the reason I don't fish the bog through the ice anymore even though it's the closest fishing hole to me. Not too many years ago 4 fish each would have been a brutally poor day. Double digit numbers fish for the 40 minute window of an evening bite was not uncommon. The walleye fishery is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

Hey Crappie Hunter,

I have fished Scugog for over 35yrs and yes... certainly not the fishery it was years ago but the same for all the Kawartha lakes. That said, its still loaded with Walleye's and in fact usually still have no problem catching a limit of 4 each now under stable condition's. Scaling down in size and slowing down jigging cadence was key in even getting a bite Sat.... I got mine fish at high noon! Fish were so negative and off with that brutal front and N. winds... case in point one of my good friends that knows the lake like the back of his hand and lives in Port Perry went out Sat. evening with 2 other buddies... w x3 minnow's rigs down and x3 rods jigging all they got was a Muskie and few perch during the prime bite.. Walleye were there just off... can see them laying on bottom with the camera but just sulking! lol. Don't give up on the 'Bog'...still loaded with Walleye's... try to new spots and down size baits as it still has ton's of Walleye's.

Good luck to all and be safe out there.... Greg.

Nice job Greg. My uncle has on old Argo that I'm trying to convince him to sell me.

Where did you get the hard top?

Hi Nick,

Good luck getting your uncle to bite on selling his Argo... awesome safe vehicles for ice fishing for sure.. when I put the tracks on I can always go anywhere no matter how much snow or slush. That hard top was designed and built by a aircraft builder in Manitoba and a "one of".... so light and I even have a aircraft spot light on the back.... its heated and very comfortable taking out 4 guys.

Kipawa Jim, Ice is slow making this year and lots of big crack's opened up and even some open water in a couple of spots... I was in the central N.E. side of the lake and had between 6 and 8" of solid ice under us. After this cold weekend most of those spots will have tightened up good but you always need to check conditions on your way out and never assume its good ice all over.... if I see dark patch's or discoloration from other area's I always stop before it and check the ice. I always wear of floater suit and carry ice pic's when walking out... I gave mine to my son and stayed near my Argo cause it floats and have gear and good winch to get out of anything....

Bottom line... never take chances out there and always be safe... Greg.

Hey Crappie Hunter,

I have fished Scugog for over 35yrs and yes... certainly not the fishery it was years ago but the same for all the Kawartha lakes. That said, its still loaded with Walleye's and in fact usually still have no problem catching a limit of 4 each now under stable condition's. Scaling down in size and slowing down jigging cadence was key in even getting a bite Sat.... I got mine fish at high noon! Fish were so negative and off with that brutal front and N. winds... case in point one of my good friends that knows the lake like the back of his hand and lives in Port Perry went out Sat. evening with 2 other buddies... w x3 minnow's rigs down and x3 rods jigging all they got was a Muskie and few perch during the prime bite.. Walleye were there just off... can see them laying on bottom with the camera but just sulking! lol. Don't give up on the 'Bog'...still loaded with Walleye's... try to new spots and down size baits as it still has ton's of Walleye's.

Good luck to all and be safe out there.... Greg.

I appreciate the return post Gregg...I know the drills and I would never EVER put myself in the same class of fisherman as yourself. I have just grown tired of how poor the walleye fishery is there compared to a short few years ago. Truth is walleye are not even in my top 4 of fish to keep for the table so unless I am getting into a ton of fish...which is what I used to really enjoy about Scugog...then I would much rather chase perch or gills or crappie. There might still be alot of walleye in there...but not enough to keep me interested in chasing them. No offense ment by any of this Greg...just stating my personal opinion.

Like I said in the beginning...good on you for getting out with your son. To me that is far more important.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I appreciate the return post Gregg...I know the drills and I would never EVER put myself in the same class of fisherman as yourself. I have just grown tired of how poor the walleye fishery is there compared to a short few years ago. Truth is walleye are not even in my top 4 of fish to keep for the table so unless I am getting into a ton of fish...which is what I used to really enjoy about Scugog...then I would much rather case perch or gills or crappie. There might still be alot of walleye in there...but not enough to keep me interested in chasing them. No offense ment by any of this Greg...just stating my personal opinion.

Like I said in the beginning...good on you for getting out with your son. To me that is far more important.

CrappiePerchhunter... well spoken and I appreciate your reply as well. Non of us our guaranteed tomorrow and fishing with family or a friend is priceless for sure. I also love Perch (more then Crappie lol!) and will be out on the weekend with some folks from the U.S. chasing them on Simcoe.

No offense taken in anyway and have a great hard water season my friend!.... Greg.