What's The Latest On The Mega Quarry? NF

bushart

From what I hear there is a provision in the free trade deal that lets U.S. companies come here and do as they please even though we have laws/policies that supposedly protect out rights......nice huh!

We're a sovereign country, I'd like to see that provision.

Guys, the fight is far from over! My wife and I volunteered at the Foodstock event in October, which was a huge success. Over 28,000 people showed up on a rainy and brutally windy afternoon. It was something memorable to have been a part of!

This past week, Danny Beaton of the Mohawks posted a long letter in the local paper that was a good read. The US company (Baupost Group) is getting lots of bad press for this fiasco and another similar one in California.

Lets hope someone in our Governments has a least a shred of decency in them to prevent this from happening. It will be a fight that goes on for a few years yet.

We're a sovereign country, I'd like to see that provision.

A simple search on google will show numerous cases where democratically elected governments have had to change laws because of rulings by the WTO for countries that ratified Gatt. I don't doubt that Nafta has the same provisions...

The mere fact/ impression that they were stealthy in their land acquisition should be reason enough to kick their arse back home. I'd rather someone be upfront and tell me they want to rape the land vs slowly buying up things on a pretense.

My guess would also be that this aggregate is going to China.

Edited by woodenboater

Maybe they will fill it with water and put some fish in when they are done. That was talked about at other quarry's i can think of but never happened.

In the old days quarries got filled with water by accident (as in oh crap you went a little deep with that steam shovel Harold... gurgle, gurgle RUN!!!!) Now with all the fancy sonar and imaging equipment it probably doesn't happen as often

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpHxCG5owWk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpHxCG5owWk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpHxCG5owWk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

There is info on youtube about it, I don`t know how recent it is. There area quarries here in Ohio, most are old and smaller. Limestone, sandstone, and sand. Most have turned in ponds, perhaps by accident? I would guess it can get expensive pumping water out of a hole in the ground you are working in?

All the ones I have seen here, again older and no longer producing have fish in them. Access is a problem because here they usually have a very long drop to the water, deep water, and it raises liability issues in case of accidents.

The farmers here complained about them also, it takes away farmland that they might be interested in getting at a cheap price, so they put their spin on them. They don`t seem to have an issue though when they reach an older age and stop farming and sell their farm land to a developer for a huge profit.

Sort of the same principal as the old strip mining pits in southern Ohio that now have been turned into a nature and wild life area once the mining was done? The area was reclaimed, trees and such planted, pits stocked with fish. If the province turned it into a park?

Edited by OhioFisherman

Sort of the same principal as the old strip mining pits in southern Ohio that now have been turned into a nature and wild life area once the mining was done? The area was reclaimed, trees and such planted, pits stocked with fish. If the province turned it into a park?

This is our country and we don't need the likes of your companies to tell us what to do with our land. There's enough grief without you trying to stir the mud. Farmers feed people.

This is our country and we don't need the likes of your companies to tell us what to do with our land. There's enough grief without you trying to stir the mud. Farmers feed people.

I didn't know OhioFisherman owned any mining companies.... :dunno:

From what I hear there is a provision in the free trade deal that lets U.S. companies come here and do as they please even though we have laws/policies that supposedly protect out rights......nice huh!

I'd have to do more research, but a quick google search and 15 minutes of reading and I already see you are half right anyway..

http://canadians.org/water/documents/Letter-Barlow-Melancthon-0411.pdf

There is another issue that should be raised. Because the construction company is

backed by the Baupost Group, a Boston‐based multi‐billion dollar hedge fund, it

likely has NAFTA rights to sue the Canadian government if at any time after the

contract has been signed, any level of government changes its mind on the project or

attempts to limit damage to the land and water of the area by imposing new

restrictions on the company’s operations. As well, NAFTA’s Chapter 11 gives

American corporations operating in Canada the right to claim the water sources

they use in their operations. The Canadian government recently awarded the

American pulp and paper company Abitibi Bowater $125 million in compensation

for the water it no longer uses after it voluntarily abandoned its operation in

Newfoundland. This payment has set a dangerous precedent that could be repeated

in the case of this quarry if, at any time in the future, the company pulls out or if the

local or provincial government tries to reclaim some of the water sources first

allotted to it. Even if we were to find that the water sources in the area were being

drawn down too quickly or polluted, the company would have NAFTA investor‐state

rights not accorded to Canadian companies.

So do jobs? Note, I never said it was a good idea, when only one side presents their side of the story how will the debate go?

I believe we have a Canadian company repairing the Cumberland dam here in the states, I don`t whine about that. :thumbsup_anim:

So do jobs? Note, I never said it was a good idea, when only one side presents their side of the story how will the debate go?

I believe we have a Canadian company repairing the Cumberland dam here in the states, I don`t whine about that. :thumbsup_anim:

Read between my lines a bit, I don't like the idea of a foreign company coming here under the auspicies of making something and then we find out it's not that at all. Come here and make a big potatoe farm for work, that's fine. I'm sure the Cdn company that's fixing your damm didn't go down there with a false front or pretense.