Fishing license 1 year or 3 year

Bob Devine

Just curious what most do when buying their fishing license. Do you buy a 1yr or 3 yr and why? I buy a 1 yr license because we don't get a discount and why give the government extra money. Like most I frequent numerous shops to pick up a license at my convenience.

I usually buy 1 year, but this year my wife surprised me with a 3 year sport as a Christmas present.. Should get it in the mail sometime in Febuary!

I think from now on I'm going to go with the 3 year as the last few years I've been having to make " one more stop" before going out on the first trip in the spring.. Seems I always forget that small detail!

I get a 3 year cause it's 2 less times I have to deal with the morons doing the licenses that alone is worth the price

Good point Terry. :D

I always get a 3 year sports as well but I seldom keep fish. I haven't got my Ontario license for this year yet but it'll only be a one year because apparently the Ontario government think that as of July this year, I'm too old to pay. :D

It's a super deal and you should appreciate it cause here in Quebec, they knock a whole $2. off a one year license once you hit 65 years of age and we've been dealing with cash register receipt format forever.

And while we're on the subject of permits and such, not being an Ontario resident, I have no say but I find the sportsman/conservation thing a little bewildering. Whether you're fishing for the pleasure of fishing or fishing to bring something to the table, you're still using the resource and therefore should be paying for a full sportsman license. That's should be especially true for non Ontario residents... in other words, if I'm fishing someone elses turf, I should be paying my way. I know that this might open up a can of worms but it's my opinion now and has been for a while.

I understand what your saying and i think your being to honest Roy , is it not ok for every one to pay once , then be able to go fish where ever in this perticular country ?

Well sure, every Province needs their natural resource revenue so take the 13 jurisdictions and multiply it by $30 or so and you have a fishing license that costs you $390. for a year. It's a little steep if you're fish one or two Provinces eh?

Well sure, every Province needs their natural resource revenue so take the 13 jurisdictions and multiply it by $30 or so and you have a fishing license that costs you $390. for a year. It's a little steep if you're fish one or two Provinces eh?

Each jurisdiction recieves its funds from the same place dose it not ?

3 year sport. I just started buying it when I started musky fishing this way I don't have to deal with the people who get mad for others targeting musky with a conservation license. I rarely keep fish and with dad passing it will be down to almost 0 from now on unless I am asked for them

Am i right in understanding what your saying , is every angler is to have a license for each jurisdiction , and that my reasoning of paying once per person and fish where ever is incorrect . I just don't like paying over and over for the same thing is all .

Oh yeah I forgot the most important part my reason for a 3 year is the same as Terry I was sick of the hassle of getting a sticker and with 1 place in Chatham (city hall) it was a pain as they just did it on line for you but you had to answer all the same questions. Or I could drive 20 min to get it. So three year it is from now on 1 time renewal online and done with them.

^X2^

The price seems to go up every year. I get 3 year sport and 3 year small game. It ends up saving you a few bucks, and you don't have to worry about buying a new liscence every year.

Mine was $163 for 3 years. $54 a year.

Skip.. The money from provincial fishing lisences goes into the Provinces "account"; it doesn't go into a Canadian "account". Each province (fishing jurisdiction) is responsible for itself. Since each province does different things with their fishing resources, they have to charge seperate and different fees for a license. Hope this helps.

I buy the one year because I'm cheap. And also because the option of a 3-yr wasn't available to me online. I don't know why.

I get a 3 year cause it's 2 less times I have to deal with the morons doing the licenses that alone is worth the price

Same here. I've also switched to the 2 year licences sticker for my car for the same reason.

The only problem is remembering which year it expires. I usually have brief panic attack every December or January.

I buy the one year because I'm cheap. And also because the option of a 3-yr wasn't available to me online. I don't know why.

Three year option is only available on the year you renew your Outdoors Card.

I just renewed my card & fishing license for 3 years.

Every year in the past it has been a big hassle to get your new license & be ready for New Years day.

In the past the MNR has been late getting the stickers to the retailers & now with the new system many places are still not on-line line due to training issues. Also with the hassles of the new system many places just said screw it, as it's not worth the hassle for them.

Skip.. The money from provincial fishing lisences goes into the Provinces "account"; it doesn't go into a Canadian "account". Each province (fishing jurisdiction) is responsible for itself. Since each province does different things with their fishing resources, they have to charge seperate and different fees for a license. Hope this helps.

RC ,thank you thank you thank you , now 'i'll be able to hold a conversation with the best of them should it ever come up again .

Up til last year I always bought 3 yr Sport fishing and small game. Because I hit the magic 65 this year, I only bought 3 yr small game and 1 yr Sport last year. Now I have to go buy a one year Sport to get me to August. Why the "darn" government didn't stay with the sticker system is a real mystery. Some consultant probably made a gazillion dollars talking the gov't into this new system where you also have to carry another piece of paper. I'm being polite here so as not to get the moderator(s) angry at me! :thumbsup_anim:

Why the "darn" government didn't stay with the sticker system is a real mystery. Some consultant probably made a gazillion dollars talking the gov't into this new system where you also have to carry another piece of paper. I'm being polite here so as not to get the moderator(s) angry at me! :thumbsup_anim:

I believe the reason behind "the new system" is so that all information will be available to the CO's on the computer system.

Under the older system when a sticker was sold (in particular at a private retailer) it would not be entered into the system until the paper work was sent into the MNR. Many retailers would hold on to the paperwork until they had quite a few to be sent in. When the MNR received them someone had to be paid to enter the information into the computer system.

Under the new system the information is entered at time of sale.

Also under the older system it was possible to have the paperwork backdated to cover up an offense. That is one of the reasons you very seldom had a "fishing without a valid license" charges laid. It was far simpler to lay a charge of "failure to produce a valid license".

Proof of this offense was far simpler as whether there was a valid license or not if it wasn't produced it was an offense. Penalty for "failure to produce a valid license" is not softer than "fishing without a valid license".

I don't expect this to change much even though they will be able to confirm a valid license far easier.