electric trolling motors

rob v

I went from a MotorGuide cable steer to a MotorGuide wireless and after getting used to it would NEVER go back to cable. I know some tournament guys (bass) love the cable steer and also guys who fish really rough water but for me the electric steer is definately better.

It's all a personal choice Rob depending on the type of fishing you do. I've always preferred cable steer myself, infact when I bought my current boat it came with a Terrova but I had the dealer replace it with a Fortrex.

I've always found cable to be more direct and faster, plus your not using your battery power to operate it.

PD on the other hand allows you to operate it from anywhere in the boat, but they seem to always develope problems in the circuit board.

Depends on the type of fishing you do. Electric steer gets my vote over cable steer. But many Bass folks would throw it in the river before using one as they seem to generally prefer the cable drive.

The Powerdrive is significantly less responsive than the Terrova with regards to steering at least with the pedal...not sure about ipilot. Not to mention the deployment mechanism and pedal are much much better on it.

Go with the Terrova if going electric steer.

Edited by scugog

As most have said, it depends upon what the motor is used for. One of the problems is that they are called trolling motors when in fact not many people use them for trolling. They're ok for trolling with a canoe or small tinny. Larger boats troll using the main motor or, if it's too fast, they'll use a kicker motor. Bowmount electrics are almost all used for positioning. I've owned RF motors and pedal cable steers. I presently use the cable steer and it works well. If I was to buy another I'd probably go with a transom motor mounted on the bow. They are much more reliable, much cheaper and all that's needed is to turn the head 180 degrees for forward running. It is much easier to steer with a tap of the hand or knee to go in the direction you want than to steer using a gas pedal type arrangement. Steering is done instinctively with your hand and it is direct.

It really depends on how you use an electric.

As most have said, it depends upon what the motor is used for. One of the problems is that they are called trolling motors when in fact not many people use them for trolling. They're ok for trolling with a canoe or small tinny. Larger boats troll using the main motor or, if it's too fast, they'll use a kicker motor. Bowmount electrics are almost all used for positioning. I've owned RF motors and pedal cable steers. I presently use the cable steer and it works well. If I was to buy another I'd probably go with a transom motor mounted on the bow. They are much more reliable, much cheaper and all that's needed is to turn the head 180 degrees for forward running. It is much easier to steer with a tap of the hand or knee to go in the direction you want than to steer using a gas pedal type arrangement. Steering is done instinctively with your hand and it is direct.

It really depends on how you use an electric.

I use an electric drive and have been through a number of fairly expensive pedals over the years but I really believe Roy has hit the nail on the head here, this is absolutely what I would do if/when I have to replace my current setup.

I've got a line on a 2 year old Minn Kota Power Drive V2 - with electric steer.

Anybody have any experience with the electric steer vs cable steer ??

I have a new 55lb powerdrive V2 on the front of my Legend Prosport.. If anything I can complain about is that it steers too fast!! One little touch of the foot pedal and Vroom your turning.. I actually use my hand on the foot pedal when im at the back of the boat because all it needs is the slightest touch.. That's the main reason I bought it, it has an 18ft cord, so I can sit anywhere in the boat and control it.. I use it mostly for trolling shorelines at a steady pace and it moves it along nicely.. Battery life is good too, 8 hours on the water and I still have lots of juice left. (size 24 battery)

I do a bit of everything. I do some sm bass fishing and when I can I like to chase eyes - but most of that happens in the great lakes and I have a 7.5 hp kicker for that. the reason I'd like to upgrade - I hope to spend a bit more time in the northern lakes fishing eyes, bass etc and working structure etc. Up until now my northern fishing opportunities have been limited duwe to lack of time. This summer I have a drive to trip booked on O'Sullivan lake that I am very much looking forward to and I want to make sure I'm properly equipped. From the time I bought my boat I knew the existing electric that was on it (same as the one I have now) wasn't what i wanted but budget constraints and the general lack of need put that conversion off. I have a 1750 crestliner fishhawk and it currently has a maxxum 55 that isn't quite enough to move the boat the way I'd like it to. Frankly I like the idea Roy talks about - i.e. the hand control (perhaps using the minn kota handle extensions I know you can get for them) but one that's designed for bow mount. I've never really enjoyed/mastered the foot control - mostly due to lack of practice I think.

I came across an opportuntity to buy the power drive V2 (used - 2 yrs old, 70 lbs, 24 volt)and the guy's asking $500 - which makes it tempting

Edited by Rob V

they all work well if your a serious troller then terrova works awesome set a track and troll dead straight all day long it'll correct your kicker motor, downside is the safety overide keeps it from being used in heavy weed areas it'll kick out, I use mine bass fishing and holding in areas deeper than 8 ft have minn kota talon for shallow water anchor, my maxxum cuts through the thick stuff without to many issues the odd time it'll kick back at me but i like the speed of the cable now i am used to it just takes some practice

I use the minn kota power drive 70# thrust. I have owned the motor for 4 years and have replaced the pedal 2 x. Going on 3. Very frustrating and very expensive.( $135 )

The advantages to this type of pedal is the long cord and a low profile.

Disadvantages are replacing the pedals every other year, slower response in turning direction and difficult stow and deploy. It also uses battery power to turn the motor.

My father has a Minn Kota maxxum 80# thrust. In my opinion this is a far superior motor.

Advantages to using the Maxxum are.... very reponsive turning ( almost too responsive ),It does not use battery power to turn the motor, easy stow and deploy

Disadvantages to the maxxum are... the pedal sits very high and balancing can be difficult unless its recessed in the deck.I think it only comes in 24 volt so 2 batteries are required. Because its a cable the pedal sits very far back on the deck of the boat.

I use my trolling motor more than my main motor. Always get the most # thrust that you can afford for your boat. Being underpowered can be very frustrating when on the water. Good luck with your search.

I use the minn kota power drive 70# thrust. I have owned the motor for 4 years and have replaced the pedal 2 x. Going on 3. Very frustrating and very expensive.( $135 )

The advantages to this type of pedal is the long cord and a low profile.

Disadvantages are replacing the pedals every other year, slower response in turning direction and difficult stow and deploy. It also uses battery power to turn the motor.

My father has a Minn Kota maxxum 80# thrust. In my opinion this is a far superior motor.

Advantages to using the Maxxum are.... very reponsive turning ( almost too responsive ),It does not use battery power to turn the motor, easy stow and deploy

Disadvantages to the maxxum are... the pedal sits very high and balancing can be difficult unless its recessed in the deck.I think it only comes in 24 volt so 2 batteries are required. Because its a cable the pedal sits very far back on the deck of the boat.

I use my trolling motor more than my main motor. Always get the most # thrust that you can afford for your boat. Being underpowered can be very frustrating when on the water. Good luck with your search.

Hey Mike, that seems pricey even for these pedals. LeBaron's is the cheapest I've found, just checked the cataloque and it's saying $99 but I thought I'd paid even less than that for my old 765mxt. Anyway, hope this saves ya' a couple bucks at least.

Dan

I have a Minn Kota Terrova 55lb with iPilot. Don't have experience with cable drive.

Will be selling the 55lb this year and upgrading to a 80lb. I had the same question as you.

Seems the cable drive is better for bass/shallow weed fishing to cut through, but don't really understand why.

I like my iPilot for spot lock when fishing a weedbed for walleye. For that reason, I'm getting another Terrova with iPilot.

I posted this same question last year. Had a Maxxum and wanted to move to a Terrova but wasnt sure about the steering or deployment (heard that power steer units were hard to deploy) I picked up a Terrova 80 autopilot\ipilot at the begining of last season and never looked back. The precision of the steering is fantastic and the fact that even without all the pilot controls you can stop steering and continue heading is the same general direction is huge. I'd make the move again without hesitation.