Starcraft Superfisherman

sneak_e_pete

I really like this boat (the 172 Superfisherman). 100" Beam, 17ft 8" length...good layout. Anyone ever been in one? They seem to be paired up with Suzuki outboards....any opinions on Suzuki?

http://www.starcraftmarine.com/Showroom/Specifications.aspx?TypeId=37&SeriesId=131&ModelId=1597&Type=Fishing%20Boats&Series=Superfisherman&Model=176

Holy gunwales Batman! It could just be the picture but there does not appear to be much room in the front casting deck. It looks like the guy in front is standing in a 45 gallon drum!

I think a trip to the boat show is in order for you. There is no better place to hop in and out of each boat to compare features etc.

Have fun!!

Jim

Very nice boat, and very well made (click here for a factory tour). The dual console will eat up some amount of room in any 17 foot boat, but the bow area is a bit bigger than the picture suggests. Go see it at a boat show and ask if you can climb aboard to scope it out properly.

The engine pairing depends on the dealership, and you can get that boat with any brand outboard you like (if you want it with a Merc or a Yamaha, go buy it from a dealer that also sells Merc or Yamaha). Suzuki makes a very nice engine though, and I would have no hesitation recommending one. I know or quite a few in commercial use, especially on the west coast.

I really like this boat (the 172 Superfisherman). 100" Beam, 17ft 8" length...good layout. Anyone ever been in one? They seem to be paired up with Suzuki outboards....any opinions on Suzuki?

http://www.starcraft...erman&Model=176

I looked at the 186 last fall and had to have it but it did'nt happen , the trade in allowance sucked , i did realy like the boat tho .

Agreed. My Lund 17.5 Tyee is powered by a 115 Yammy. Speedo hits 40 mi/hr but with more than 3 guys in the boat it takes a while (5-10 sec) to get on plane unless I send someone to the bow. That's a 4 stroke for you. With 2 guys it's perfect. Extra HP = more $ and more fuel though. But better performance. trade off

We had a suzuki outboard for years. It was bullet proof, and the guy we sold it to is still running it today. It was an older one, I think 89, but it was solid, and fast for its size.

The starcraft superfisherman is a great boat. It will last a lifetime.

S.

Edited by Sinker

I have a Fishmaster, which is essentially a Superfisherman with vinyl floors and with the stern done differently (full splash well instead of the converting bench). I love it. As Craig said, which engine you get depends where you get the boat. I got mine with a Suzuki but the dealer was also willing to put a Merc on it.

Take a trip to the boat show so you can get an idea on the different features and to see what is out there. From there, you can make an informed decision and not have any regrets later. Just make sure that you hang the biggest motor that's allowed on the back. You will never regret it and when it comes time to sell, you will get more for your boat.

What kind of fishing do you do? It looks like it would make a good big water trolling boat; and a good family boat too. If you primarily fish the shallows for bass than I would look for a different style.

p.s. I was happy with my Suzuki that I had from 1994 - 2009. My brother-in-law has it now; it stills runs despite the fact that it sank.