Today on Nipissing

Nipfisher

Got out with some buddies on Callander Bay this afternoon. Fished from 2pm - 5pm. I got there around 3:15. We ended up catching 4 walleye in total with 3 keepers and one slot size walleye that was 58 cm (23").

The guys caught 2 pike before I showed up and they said one of the pike was covered in black spots. We also caught 9 keeper perch over 8" and threw back many more. 10.5" of solid ice.

CIMG2398.jpg

Here is the slot sized walleye that was released to spawn again if it can?

CIMG2403.jpg

CIMG2404.jpg

CIMG2405.jpg

CIMG2406.jpg

CIMG2407.jpg

CIMG2409.jpg

Anyone know what this disease is?

It's lymphocystis/walleye dermal sarcoma. It won't kill the fish (probably doesn't help its chances of finding a mate though) and is not harmful to humans. Ugly as hell though and I would probably wear two pairs of waterproof gloves to release the fish.

It's lymphocystis/walleye dermal sarcoma. It won't kill the fish (probably doesn't help its chances of finding a mate though) and is not harmful to humans. Ugly as hell though and I would probably wear two pairs of waterproof gloves to release the fish.

Thanks Roy. I usually kis them before releasing them but NOT THIS ONE.

Question

Should that fish have been stopped from going back in the water? How does this disease work?

Its sad really, on such a Nice fish.

Slot sized fish must be immediately released. Even if it was dead I am supposed to put it back in. Some real nice fillets on it though.

I've only had 1 walleye with it before, and it wasn't anywhere close to being that serious.

Not knowing it had that until I got home, I ended up eating it anyways after cutting a little bit of that section off. I don't recall of the walleye tasting different or anything.

Glad to see you into fish though! Congrats!

Edited by EC1

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Good fishin' Blair.......Wayne is just jealous :whistling:

those black spots have quite a story behind them too.

Black Spot is actually the larvae of a parasite. The parasite has a quite complex lifecycle- and would be very lucky indeed to actually complete it! It starts out (if a life cycle can start…) with snails. Eggs of the parasite in the water of creeks or rivers hatch and infect snails. Inside the liver of the snail they slowly develop, until eventually leaving the snail to find a fish. When they find a fish the larvae burrow under a scale in the fishes skin (causing much irritation to the fish). The parasites then hope the fish will be eaten by a bird or other animal so that the lifecycle can continue. When they are eaten they quickly mature in the intestines of the host animal and produce large numbers of eggs. These eggs are then excreted, making their way back to the water of a creek or river. And the cycle continues