Before you buy anything, check out the customer service

Big Cliff

The next time you go to buy anything, take a minute or two to call their customer service number and see what kind of a reaponse you get.

I just had a customer bring me an Eskimo ice auger, it needs a new coil. So I go to their website and they list a parts supplier in Canada, Yetman's on MB. Good I thought, I can get it right here in Canada. So I try to call Yetman's, 10 minutes later after being told several times how important my call was to them I finally gave up (my dime no less).

So I waited until today and tried again, this time I had a toll free number but again after waiting another 10 minutes and being told how important my call was to them, I gave up and phoned the US supplier, got disconnected the first time but finally got to talk to a very nice man named John.

He knew his stuff and offered to ship it to me by tomorrow, mind you I'll have to pay the duty but that is ok, an ice auger without a coil is just an anchor.

My point is this, we go out and pay good money for a product and occasionally we need customer service, if that isn't there then too bad for us. If enough of us stop buying products that don't offer good customer support then the companies that pull this stuff will fall by the side of the road.

As a service person, I run into this sort of thing all the time, people bring me things to fix, I need parts, I call the Mfg. parts line then spend an hour on hold trying to get the part I need, Now, who do I bill for that hour of my time? Would it be fair to bill my customer? Not in my books! Can I bill the Mfg.? Ya right! Is it fair that I write off an hour of my time because someone buys a product from someone that doesn't offer reasonable customer service? Well, I hardly ever make any money from my friends anyway LOL so I guess my time doesn't have that much value LOL.

The point is this, if we let them do this to us, they will! If we start making phone calls and finding out what their customer service is like then supporting the companies that do still believe in giving good customer service then those companies will flurish, we all win!!!!!

Come on guys, lets do something about the companies that do care about their customers and the ones that don't. It might cost you a few more bucks in the beginning but it will save you a lot in the end.

Solid advice, Cliff. Thanks.

Amen to that one. I had my issues with the company that makes Marcum and bought out the Aqua Vu Showdown. Needed an upgrade at my expense and charged me for shipping. After specifically requesting US Postal Shipping, they sent it with the brown truck and cost me another $40. Their answer to that was, too bad, so sad. After doing some digging I found anyone north of the border was getting the same lousy deal. So when time comes to get a new winter ice fishing flasher, remeber about customer service and this company.

You got my support Cliff,

A case in point is the makers of MOEN faucet that treat me and all of my customers like they are gold. I know they have a big plant up in Canada and also in the United States. They have sent parts and whole faucets to customers after I'd found a defect or an issue on the unit using their lifetime product warranted.

Art

A case in point is the makers of MOEN faucet that treat me and all of my customers like they are gold. I know they have a big plant up in Canada and also in the United States. They have sent parts and whole faucets to customers after I'd found a defect or an issue on the unit using their lifetime product warranted.

Art

Hear you on that one Art. When I built here I put in a nice Price Pfister set in the kitchen. Over the years they've replaced it twice free of charge. If it ever goes again I'll buy another this time. They've proven themselves to me.

Art

I'll second that one Art, Moen has always done good by me! It is one company I wouldn't hesitate to buy from again.

Art

Hey I can relate to this one Art.

I had problems with American Standard kitchen faucets in one of the Condominiums I do maintenance in. I had the run around for several weeks from American Standard. Finally I called them back and waited for yet another hour requesting parts when I told them I came up with a repair kit myself to fix their faucets. "Oh, that's good to hear sir, what did you come up with?" My reply....

Replace it with a Moen!

There was a brief silence, and then he said they would ship out enough parts to replace the faulty spout and cartridge for all of the suites. Great I said, I will need 126 of them. He sent me 2, I'm still waiting for the other 124 and that was 2 years ago.

Great thread, its true.. Customer service goes a long way nowadays, especially with most products being "made in China" CS is pretty much non-existant.. Im a shadetree mechanic too, and i have getting the runaround looking for parts!

Customer service is the reason I don't like Bell Canada... I'm sure a lot of you would have a story about them over the years.

I will never buy another Moen product. After having cut an access hole in a one piece bathtub fiberglass enclosure while building our place, and getting lousy shower pressure from the Moen shower set up, eventually called customer service 800 number for advice. Was told cartridge could not be changed and required minimum 60 psi water pressure - nothing on the carton about that. Was (like many others) operating on my own pump at 40 and no need to increase. Service rep became abusive after being asked for alternatives or an exhange on the kit. Needless to say, nothing done.

Now have two showers, one at each end. The Moen end is a constant reminder to avoid this company and to let others know of their lousy customer service.

I will never buy another Moen product. After having cut an access hole in a one piece bathtub fiberglass enclosure while building our place, and getting lousy shower pressure from the Moen shower set up, eventually called customer service 800 number for advice. Was told cartridge could not be changed and required minimum 60 psi water pressure - nothing on the carton about that. Was (like many others) operating on my own pump at 40 and no need to increase. Service rep became abusive after being asked for alternatives or an exhange on the kit. Needless to say, nothing done.

Now have two showers, one at each end. The Moen end is a constant reminder to avoid this company and to let others know of their lousy customer service.

I have not heard of this before P.M. sent.

Art

Great thread Cliff. Customer service keeps you coming back. To that regard I have to jump on the Moen band wagon as well. That's all I have in my home and it's all I will ever have. Why because everytime I have a problem I just go to Home Depot and get another free cartridge for me leaky tap. Lifetime warranty on cartridges. Pretty hard to beat that.

My son bought his first house in 2010. One of my first words of advice was if you get any kind of taps in your home for the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room make certain it says Moen on it.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

MOEN faucets and tub/shower faucets have been pretty good to me as well. Walk into Home Depot and the cartridges would be replaced free of charge with no headaches. I bought a Danze (Canadian Tire) kitchen faucet a few years ago to replace the old no name job that we had and it gave me nothing but grief from day 1. Fit problems, leaks, etc.... It was finally replaced last year with a brand new one since the cartridge was permanent and could not be changed, stupid design. When this one goes it will be replaced by either a MOEN or an American Standard (I have an 'in' there and go direct so I don't worry about CS) depending on the deal I get. I won't be buying any other faucets from any other manufacturer again unless it is from the abovementioned 2 and esp. from Danze who has to ship parts from Montreal and that takes a few days. I like being able to go into HD that's 10 minutes away to just pick up what I need and not have to wait with a tap or shower out of service.