Lets look at it this way shall we

misfish

Dont want to derail the fishing lic thread so here s my quick opinion on the price increase.

Yes the prices are up,and it,s not nice,BUT,if it,s going to put the money where it belongs,( more MNR POLICEING) then I say bring it.

$27 to fish 365 days.And you can fish pretty much anywhere.Stocking is being done all that sort a stuff.

40+ for a deer tag. Now ya want to be atch.Some hunters go for a week,some two,some do a 2.5 month bow.Oh and no stocking of deer,not that I have ever heard of.

Lets just hope it,s going in the right hands.

Thats my morning say.Now time to work.

Dang theres alot of snow to clear.

Edited by Misfish

Ya, the deer tag is bologna.. Don't forget the small game permit you need $$, and the OFAH membership if you want to hunt Simcoe forests$$....

What really ticks me off is the HST. What's the point in complaining eh. I've got no issues with the fishing lic. Yet..

It would be nice to look at it your way Misfish but I think that is wishful thinking. Why change the old system? Seems to be working okay. I think the change is to justify jobs and the Libs need money in a big way. I didn't hear anything about the province hiring more CO's or adding more money to fishing and hunting programs. All our money goes to the big purse and then the gov't doles it out to programs that fit their agenda and the rest goes to the MNR where all the money generated from fishing and hunting lisences should stay. Better grab your 3 year permit because it will probably go up again bigtime next year as well. Just my 2 cents.

Gotta agree Brian. The license is still pretty economical. For the price of one musky lure, or 2 Koppers you get to fish a whole year.

A better comparison. How many of us drop $500-700 on a single fishing combo?

Just be thankful we don't have the same licensing rules you find in England and parts of Europe. You purchase a different license for each local jurisdiction.

The bungling of the whole license system is an entirely different matter. I also think it is a major mistake of any government to outsource public services to an offshore provider.

Edited by bigugli

It would be nice to look at it your way Misfish but I think that is wishful thinking. Why change the old system? Seems to be working okay. I think the change is to justify jobs and the Libs need money in a big way. I didn't hear anything about the province hiring more CO's or adding more money to fishing and hunting programs. All our money goes to the big purse and then the gov't doles it out to programs that fit their agenda and the rest goes to the MNR where all the money generated from fishing and hunting lisences should stay. Better grab your 3 year permit because it will probably go up again bigtime next year as well. Just my 2 cents.

I agree would be nice :) Then I think about how other provinces/states manage resources :)...

You know. I dont hear anyone complain about their MNR/DNR like we do here in Ontario... And really. We're complaining to the wrong people :)...MNR gets what they get and do the best they can with it. Mean while the gov. takes even more of our money and does as they see fit with that... Listen to me eh? "OUR Money" LOL.

Guest chrisrobinson

I didn't hear anything about the province hiring more CO's or adding more money to fishing and hunting programs. All our money goes to the big purse and then the gov't doles it out to programs that fit their agenda and the rest goes to the MNR where all the money generated from fishing and hunting lisences should stay.

All hunting and fishing licence revenue goes into a Special Purpose Account that funds MNR's fish and wildlife operations. MNR's budget problem is over how much comes from General Revenues to top that up. Right now licence revenues is 66-75% of MNR's revenue, and MNR's total budget is less than 0.5% of the provincial budget. The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario recently reported on this, updating a 2007 or so report.

Chris

All hunting and fishing licence revenue goes into a Special Purpose Account that funds MNR's fish and wildlife operations. MNR's budget problem is over how much comes from General Revenues to top that up. Right now licence revenues is 66-75% of MNR's revenue, and MNR's total budget is less than 0.5% of the provincial budget. The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario recently reported on this, updating a 2007 or so report.

Chris

Here is the short version which explains the situation. http://www.ecoissues.ca/index.php/Doing_Less_with_Less

Licenses are a tax.

You can tell me anything you want about where the money goes but its still a tax.

Did you know that EI deductions are a tax as well. They take Insurance premiums off of your cheque and put them into the fund and when the fund has a surplus they use them other places.

Now when they put everybody out of work and the fund is broke because they spend the money other places they raise the INSURANCE premiums.

Don't try to tell me that fishing licenses go to pay government fishing costs...cept for maybe the costs of a minister going to Labrador to fish

WOW 27 whole dollars. :whistling:

My yearly Alaskan license is $145 and if I want a king stamp it's another $100.

NY licenses are $70 PA is $52.70 MI is $42 and Ohio is $40 so $27 seems pretty cheap to me. :whistling:

Luckily my NWT license is practically free at $10. :lol:

Thank you for comparing Non-Res licensing to Res. What is this a pissing match "Who spends more on tags?"....

Frankly I don't care what you pay to go and fish the States, what I DO care about is having my RESIDENT freaking licenses jacked up every year for nothing, especially when the MNR is doing NOTHING with the extra money except lining their pockets...

:rolleyes:

Really...

I spend more money on a single musky lure...

And a typical day costs me 20 bucks on gas...

So 27 bucks to catch 1002 walleye... 44 musky... And countless carp ... Bass... Pike... Sunfish... Crappie...And perch... In a year...

Hundreds of hours of entertainment...

And fresh fish on my table for my family whenever I want...

I'd say that's a damn good price if you ask me...

The new system is a bit hairy... But I haven't heard of any fines for not having a license yet...

We are lucky to have what we do...

Quit complaining about it...

Really...

So 27 bucks to catch 1002 walleye... 44 musky... And countless carp ... Bass... Pike... Sunfish... Crappie...And perch... In a year...

That is a lot of fish, well done.

Just tell your boss you need a raise to offset the increase and you will be fine.

Thank you for comparing Non-Res licensing to Res. What is this a pissing match "Who spends more on tags?"....

Frankly I don't care what you pay to go and fish the States, what I DO care about is having my RESIDENT freaking licenses jacked up every year for nothing, especially when the MNR is doing NOTHING with the extra money except lining their pockets...

:rolleyes:

No it's a whining fest by you by the sounds of things. :whistling:

Really...

I spend more money on a single musky lure...

And a typical day costs me 20 bucks on gas...

Hundreds of hours of entertainment...

And fresh fish on my table for my family whenever I want...

I'd say that's a damn good price if you ask me...

The new system is a bit hairy... But I haven't heard of any fines for not having a license yet...

We are lucky to have what we do...

Quit complaining about it...

you be quiet about this please.

This will give the government ideas about daily fees.

why should I pay the same to fish a couple days a year and you fish and take practically every day

you be quiet about this please.

This will give the government ideas about daily fees.

why should I pay the same to fish a couple days a year and you fish and take practically every day

Hmmm

I said I'm able to take fish whenever I like...

I never said I keep fish every day...

If you only fish a couple days a year why not do it on free fishing times... Then you can keep your 27 bucks...

Ok let's compare apples to apples shall we.

We will look at licensing in BC.

Resident fishing license: $36

But if you want to fish steelhead add another: $25

Want to fish for salmon too add another: $10

Want to fish the good water for salmon and steelhead (the classified waters) add anorther: $15

There are a couple of other specialty permits for Shuswap and Kootney Lakes if you want to fish them as well.

But let's compare what you get with your Ontario license for $27 where you can fish for salmon and trout and don't have to pay to fish the good public water.

Ontario: $27

BC: $86

That's more than 3X the price of an Ontario resident license. :w00t:

You don't want to know the cost for non-residents. :devil:

Guest chrisrobinson

Don't try to tell me that fishing licenses go to pay government fishing costs...cept for maybe the costs of a minister going to Labrador to fish

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_166025.html

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_166024.html

"By law, all revenue received under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act is put into a Special Purpose Account."

and

"The money held in this account can only be spent on:

- The management, perpetuation, or rehabilitation of wildlife or fish populations or the ecosystems of which these populations are a part

- Matters related to the activities of people as they interact with or affect fish and wildlife

Revenue sources include Outdoors Card, licence and permit fees, royalties and fines, interest on account funds and the sale of products and services"

http://www.ofah.org/...Doc&DID=615&P=1

Chris

Edited by chrisrobinson

Want to fish the good water for salmon and steelhead (the classified waters) add anorther: $15

There are a couple of other specialty permits for Shuswap and Kootney Lakes if you want to fish them as well.

But let's compare what you get with your Ontario license for $27 where you can fish for salmon and trout and don't have to pay to fish the good public water.

Really I couldn't give a piece of used tp what those snobby buggers in BC are paying or non resident Alaskan fees for that matter either. I just wish they would get the bloody licencing issue in order here. There's no need to go south of the border to find a place to make/issue cards or change the system that was working quite well.

$27 to fish 365 days.And you can fish pretty much anywhere.Stocking is being done all that sort a stuff.

40+ for a deer tag. Now ya want to be atch.Some hunters go for a week,some two,some do a 2.5 month bow.Oh and no stocking of deer,not that I have ever heard of.

Seems I wasnt clear on my intentions of this post.For that Im sorry,but some good info here.

As to the qoute above,I was comparing the amount of time you have to enjoy, your dollar when purchacing a lic,for a your sport of choice.

More for a comparison sorta speak. 27 dollars for 365 days a year to fish, compared to 40+ for a deer tag(like nick added,the extra cost of the small games),and I should add,hoping to get selected on your choice of where. Amagin,paying 27 bucks and have to put in for a body of water to fish? Sorry you didnt get your selection,you can only fish lake X. Lake X? Heck thats 100 miles away.

Hope Im making sence here.

What BC residents let their govt. rape them on is no concern of mine. If they want to change it then they should make an attempt.

This is about ON resident fishing, and the fact that our MNR is about the laziest most useless bunch of idiots in this country short of every Federal politician.

If our MNR actually tried making a difference, walleye re-introduction, musky introduction, repairing the DESTROYED Salmon fishery in the Great Lakes, etc then I wouldn't have a problem.

But instead they dump some yearling Splake into a few lakes and say they're trying their damndest. :blahblah1:

Hell even their "policing" is piss poor on the best of days. When I was working at a fishing lodge I reported an impaired boater who almost hit a boat full of a clients sons and daughters and then proceeded to drive recklessly to tick us off. They came and took my report in person TWO DAYS LATER...ya...they came looking for a drunk in a boat that almost hit a bunch of kids TWO DAYS after the fact.

Our darn tax dollars at work. But hey...theyre trying!

It,s all about the taste Dave.You pay for good eats.LOL

Seems like simple inflation to me. The cost to stock, manage, and enforce our natural resources goes up in an inflating economy. Remember when gas used to be 90 cents a liter? Same thing. Also there are probably less and less people buying fishing licenses. kids don't give a flip about fishing. But lets not fool ourselves this price increase will not add more stocking programs and enforcement but merely keep that ones we have afloat. If that. And yes our stocking programs are pathetic. But lets not bash the local MNR I have worked with them they are good people. It's Peterborough and Ottawa all accountants and businessmen. OMNR can only do as much as they have the funds and staff for. But honestly splake? Splake was Canada's answer to the exploding alewife population in the Great Lakes. Thank god the USA's answer was salmon. How did they end up being stocked in our inland lakes? beyond me. I mean come on they don't even naturally reproduce!

Edited by cjgraham