Christmas Time Eating Tips

Billy Bob

Christmas Time EATING TIPS

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. as for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple,Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? LaborDay?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Bob

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

I bought a quart of egg nog an hour ago Bob and it'll be gone this time tomorrow...nector of the Gods if you ask me :thumbsup_anim:

I bought a quart of egg nog an hour ago Bob and it'll be gone this time tomorrow... :thumbsup_anim:

Lew, you just gave me my LAUGH of the DAY.... :D

Edited to say....Sorry Lew I thought you wrote "I'll be gone by this time tomorrow"

Edited by Billy Bob

I love Christmas for the Egg nog and time with the family I don't see enough. Also the beer and rum with the egg nog lol. With this heart surgery on tuesday I will only be enjoying the kids egg-nog an family time though lol.

Hey buddy , your going to be just fine , don't worry , i 've been down that road .

Redneck , thats the short forum for eggnog .............lol lol.. any body have a recipe to share ?

Do you mean to make your own eggnog.....sure.......go to Sam's Club and they sell it by the half gallon for $4.38.....if you are making home made "nog" you are wasting precious eggnog drinking time...so just buy it and add your favourite booze...drink, repeat.... :P

got this off the net...

this is basically the recipe i use...

Easy Eggnog Recipe Ingredients

6 eggs

3 cups milk

8 tablespoons sugar

3 teaspoon vanilla essence

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground

Easy Eggnog Recipe Directions

In a large bowl, beat the eggs using an electric beater (if available).

By turn, add milk & sugar.

Continue beating until mixture thickens slightly.

Add in the vanilla essence & ground nutmeg.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (at least 3 hours).

Serves: 8.

or

Traditional Eggnog Ingredients

12 eggs, separated

6 cups milk

2 cups heavy/ thickened cream

2 cups bourbon

1+ 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cup brandy

2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

Traditional Eggnog Directions

In a large bowl and using a mixer, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar for approx 10 minutes (you want the mixture to be firm and the colour of butter).

Very slowly, add in the bourbon and brandy - just a little at a time.

When bourbon and brandy have been added, allow the mixture to cool in the fridge (for up to 6 hours, depending on how long before your party you're making the eggnog).

30 minutes before your guests arrive, stir the milk into the chilled yolk mixture.

Stir in 1+ 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg.

In a separate bowl, beat the cream with a mixer on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks.

In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.

Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.

Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.

After ladling into cups, garnish with the remainder of the ground nutmeg.

Serves: 8.

or

Alcoholic Eggnog Ingredients

6 eggs

2 extra egg yolks

4 cups whole milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup bourbon

Alcoholic Eggnog Directions

Start by whisking the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large pan until well-blended. Keep on whisking while you slowly pour in the milk until it is completely mixed-in. Next, set the pan on your stove's burner and turn it to the lowest possible setting. Continuously whisk ingredients for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture reaches 160°F and will coat the underside of a spoon.

Next, remove the mixture from heat and strain it into a large-sized bowl, making sure to get out any pieces of cooked egg. Now stir in the bourbon, vanilla, and nutmeg, and transfer your mixture to a covered dish. Refrigerate the mix for at least 4 hours before proceeding.

Finally, when you're ready to serve your eggnog with alcohol, grab the heavy cream and whip it well. Now just fold in the chilled mix, pour, serve and enjoy!

Makes 14 servings.

Do you mean to make your own eggnog.....sure.......go to Sam's Club and they sell it by the half gallon for $4.38.....if you are making home made "nog" you are wasting precious eggnog drinking time...so just buy it and add your favourite booze...drink, repeat.... :P

i find store bought tasts like ... :asshat:

i find store bought tasts like ... asshat.gif

Mike , the LCBO has one , pretty good , it backs up thru your nose if your not careful ...lol. It does'nt last long on the shelves tho , once its gone they don't seem to restock it , kind a like a one day thing . Comes in the form of a glass bottle , 26'er

Edited by Skipper " D "

Alcoholic Eggnog Ingredients

6 eggs

2 extra egg yolks

4 cups whole milk

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup bourbon

Alcoholic Eggnog Directions

Start by whisking the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a large pan until well-blended. Keep on whisking while you slowly pour in the milk until it is completely mixed-in. Next, set the pan on your stove's burner and turn it to the lowest possible setting. Continuously whisk ingredients for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture reaches 160°F and will coat the underside of a spoon.

Next, remove the mixture from heat and strain it into a large-sized bowl, making sure to get out any pieces of cooked egg. Now stir in the bourbon, vanilla, and nutmeg, and transfer your mixture to a covered dish. Refrigerate the mix for at least 4 hours before proceeding.

Finally, when you're ready to serve your eggnog with alcohol, grab the heavy cream and whip it well. Now just fold in the chilled mix, pour, serve and enjoy!

Makes 14 servings.

So .. Serves 2 !

Edited by camillj