Nipissing Ice Conditions

sneak_e_pete

thumbsup_anim.gif two nights like this, with no snow and I'll be fishing on some small lakes.

I was already out on the hard stuff on tuesday, 4" of solid black, will be back out again tomorrow.

just my guess, is south shore will have 6 inches of ice 2km out from link's beach on jan 1st.

I was already out on the hard stuff on tuesday, 4" of solid black, will be back out again tomorrow.

just my guess, is south shore will have 6 inches of ice 2km out from link's beach on jan 1st.

I was on 4" of black last Saturday... But then the rain dropped, so I stayed away.

I'm in kirkland at the moment... The lakes are looking better up here.

I'm guessing Bartlett will have some recovery work this year... A lot of anxious ice travellers in North Bay. Be safe.

I was on 4" of black last Saturday... But then the rain dropped, so I stayed away.

I'm in kirkland at the moment... The lakes are looking better up here.

I'm guessing Bartlett will have some recovery work this year... A lot of anxious ice travellers in North Bay. Be safe.

I'm sure it will be a busy season hauling up vehicles.

was on a small lake again today 3-5 inches of good solid black ice. this cold weather is tightening up the lakes quite well as long as the heavy snow stays off of them for a bit

Is the middle of February safe for a truck on the ice?..... For a weekend? Sooo looking forward to trying Nippissing this year!

every year

every month

every week

every day

every hour

conditions change, so no one can really give you a definitive answer to your question

but if you just want a general answer then I would say yes most years you can

this year, still hopeful.

but ask again in the middle of Feb. and you will get a better answer

even on the best day I would never just say, yes it is safe for a truck, I might say something like " in the areas I have fished the last few days, it looked good for a truck but I have not been to all areas of the lake and pressure cracks change hourly"

And sadly, we're at the time of year when we'll starting reading stories where folks have gone through the ice on their snowmobiles.

People get antsy to be on the ice in the early season and unfortunately too often they head out before the ice is ready.

And sadly, we're at the time of year when we'll starting reading stories where folks have gone through the ice on their snowmobiles.

People get antsy to be on the ice in the early season and unfortunately too often they head out before the ice is ready.

And too often, SAR workers risk their own lives to save people. I know that most folks are prudent but please be careful out there.

Just got back from the government docks on Nip. It's frozen as far as I could see out but did not look like safe ice to say the least. It's going to be a stretch for safe ice for the 1st in my opinion. Unless we get solid cold days and nights over the next couple of weeks.

It's a start and it gives me hope but I wouldn't hold your breath on it happening.

Is the middle of February safe for a truck on the ice?..... For a weekend? Sooo looking forward to trying Nippissing this year!

My answer would be to see how many vehicles are out where you are going. Although there are some crazies who will venture out on unknown ice, most of the locals understand the ice and will drive out ost of the season. I drive my 2004 Ford Explorer Sporttrac on the ice as soon as I feel there is safe ice. Usually around 8-10". Let me know when/where you are fishing I can give you a good idea before you come.

• 2 weeks later...

Chilly Willy confirmed with us as well. Cars all packed, heading up tomorrow!!

Same here, if you need good minnows - stop by at Jacob's on HWY 11 in Orillia, it's really hard to miss this place. He is open 24/7 - spoke with him today.