My truck is making a strange sound ?

tomO

I've got a 2000 chevy silverado4x4, the last couple of weeks theres a sound like gurgling water in the passenger side dash. At first it it would just make the sound when i first got in and drove it would go away after a short time but now it keeps getting longer and longer before it disipates. Any ideas? thx.

If there's air trapped in the system, the level wouldn't necessarily drop. You can go round the bleed screws with the system hot and get all the air out (carefully!) then top the level up when it cools. If it starts doing it again, you have a leak. Next job is to find it - that's where the fun starts!

I have the same issue in my car, but every time I check the coolant, it's topped up.....

There would be a lot of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe if that were the case ,or am I wrong?

Depends on where the leak is... I've seen headgaskets go and the only sign was oil in the coolant... No coolant or anything making it into the combustion chamber.

A simple leakage test of the cooling system can tell you if you have a leak...take it to a mechanic that can pressurize the system....that will tell you right away if the cooling system has a leak...finding it is another matter...might even have to have a cylinder leakage test done...but that's a rare thing for a coolant leak but can sometimes find it.

To get the air out of the system drive around with the radiator cap loose to vent the system once it becomes hot...take some extra coolant with you just in case.

BTW I believe this truck has "deathcool" (Dexcool) for a anti-freeze....bad stuff as it shortens the life of head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob