Musky Rod for casting

mercman

Well, Christmas is soon here and Santa asked me what kind of a casting rod for Musky, he should get me.

I am fully equipped for trolling now, but not for casting. I will be pairing the rod for now, with a Curado 300E, with the idea of getting a Calcutta in the future.

Not really looking for a make,but suggestions are welcomed, more looking for length and strength etc.

Many thanks

Paul

If your not afraid of the price tag, a St.Croix Legend Tournament Muskie rod is one of the nicest sticks you'll use. I personally like the split grip version. As far as type, thats a question of what you gonna do with it. In an all around casting rod, I'd go with 8-8 1/2 feet, 2-6 oz. The long rods are nice for casting heavy baits, figure 8s and hooksetting/fighting the fish. The only negative is downward jerking anything over about 7 feet might seem abit long and hit the water, of course this is variable depending on height of the angler, and the height of the casting deck your fishing from.

All my musky rods are Compres for a reason Paul.

I like 7' heavy for jerkbaits & 7'6" extra heavy for my casting and trolling rods.

Their an excellent rod for a great price.

Edited by lew

how tall are you? i am 6' and don't like using anything shorter than 7'6 when I'm fishing from the front of the boat. If I am casting jerkbaits from the back of the boat, I'll shorten down to a 7'2". My favourite/most used rods are 8' - 8'6". Hard to suggest weight because to tell you the truth, the actions/ratings can be different between brands. In St.Croix for example a MH or H is (musky rod) is good. I find the Compres are 'over-rated' so a MH shimano to me feels soft.

As for brands, I am a St. Croix guy, you don't have to go legend series (tho they sure are nice) I use the premier line almost exclusively. One exception is a 8'6" Okuma rod that is a great rod for the money (just over 100). But you cannot go wrong with St. Croix or Shimano.

Edited by Raf

Like other have said, compre or croix are awesome rods. For a casting rod, get an 8-footer or 8'6 - so much nicer for casting big baits but the biggest benefit is in f8ing. The long rod allows you to make bigger 8's/ovals which will help you convert more follows into strikes.

Careful with dbl 10 bladed bucktails and that curado 300 - you will destroy it. Dbl 8's are fine, which is what I use mine for... that and some topwater applications.

i have all st.croix premier rods...

i had an 8.5 footer X heavy... i found it big and clumsy.... kinda like me...lol... i sold it to buy another 7.5 foot heavy... the 7.5 heavy is a great rod... i have a couple now...

now keep this in mind... i dont like throwing big rubber... actually i hate it... i prefer jerkbaits... topwater... and cranks...

if you plan on throwing mag dawgs or pounders... you better get a big stick...

i would say get an 8 foot heavy... its right in the middle of the pack... then if you dont like it that much... you can go smaller or bigger...

that being said... my 7.5 foot st.croix premier with a curado 301e is my favorite combo...

just saw the compres are on sale at cabelas for 80 bucks...

might help your decision

7 foot 6 heavy or x heavy sounds about right

http://www.cabelas.com/casting-rods-shimano-compre-muskie-casting-rods-1.shtml

That's a good price Mike and I'm thinking their getting rid of their older stock with the full cork butt.

I just recently ordered a 7'6" Compre musky rod for my daughter and was told they now all come with a split grip.

Great info guys, Thanksclapping.gif

I kinda like Compre also. I have a 6'10 MH for walley, and a 7'H for Musky Trolling, and really like the feel of them.

I would like a 2 piece for transporting, but its not 100% necessary.If i get enough gift cards, i may get the St.Croix of my dreams, whistling.gif We will see.

Thanks a bunch.

Paul

Shimano has new Compre Musky rods out now. They are split grip design and are light for musky rods IMO. Then you have Legend Musky rods and at the top G.Loomis also has a nice collection of sticks.

Shop around, many to choose from. Compre is a good rod tho for the $$.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I would guess that you will end up getting a new rod when you get a calcutta. With that in mind I would go with a lighter rod to pair up with the compre. Aything from a 7ft to a 7'6". Get a bigger, heavier rod when you get the calcutta. I have the 7ft 2 piece compre that I like a lot.

Paul I agree with pigeon - i have a big nasty and a sling blade, you cant go any better than st croix legend tourney. The two listed are unbelievable i have a 300 EJ and revo winch both are for casting. I also have a tm73mhf your welcome to that I dont use anymore. Strange I had a 300e on this! ill ship you a PM.

Anyway love to see what you get and how it performs for musky number two!

John

Paul I agree with pigeon - i have a big nasty and a sling blade, you cant go any better than st croix legend tourney. The two listed are unbelievable i have a 300 EJ and revo winch both are for casting. I also have a tm73mhf your welcome to that I dont use anymore. Strange I had a 300e on this! ill ship you a PM.

Anyway love to see what you get and how it performs for musky number two!

John

I've used the 7'3 and its a great rod for smaller baits and more portable than the 8 footers. St croix makes some great muskie rods