Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

Which idea Matt? I'm full of them. You gonna take me out to one of your secret back lakes this winter?

the fold out bed idea, i was just joking because there were some similar in the shack i had sold you. As for the back lakes, maybe one or two but there are a few that i vowed to the people that taught/showed/took me into them i would never say a word.

that shack is comin along quite well. in your most recent pics the one where the 3rd wall is erect it looks as though the roof on your garage is actually on the shack.

Can you tell me again why the holes are along the walls and not in the middle ?

Things are moving really fast now and it won't be long before you're hauling that on the lake and cutting holes and pulling fish through the holes ! Looking great so far.

I spent a couple hours after the floor was done with a chalk line, measuring tape, magic marker, mock bench and jigging rod trying different layouts out. Also I've been in lots of huts with different layouts and I knew what I liked and what I haven't. Several sleepless hours in bed were spent agonizing over things like hole placement...what I'm saying is that a lot of thought went into just where the holes would go.

The three in a row (each about two feet apart) along north wall are situated so that anglers seated at the bench along the south wall (about half of which will be permanent and the other half will flip up making room for a table and chair(s)) can jig from them and watch outside lines through the long window. The space down the middle acts as a walkway. The holes may seem a little far from the seats, but they are actually just about right. I'd have liked them maybe 6 inches closer but the runners are in the way. To move them to the insides of the runners would have created holes practically between one's feet. I'd rather have to stretch out a little to jig than be all cramped up the whole time.

If the holes were in the middle, you'd have to walk along the sides of the hut to get from front to back. I'm going to have shelves and stuff hanging on the walls...I've been in a hut where you had to scoot along the inside wall to move around and we were always knocking stuff off the walls or from shelves with our bulky cold-weather gear. You may have to step over a rod or two when you are at the back of the hut and blast through it to the door when you see a tip-up flag pop...but you won't risk a wet boot or broken ankle from holes in the middle of the floor...which, as far as I'm concerned, there is no worse place to put them.

It's all about preference though. If you're laying out the cash, you get to have your preferences...or at least be the one responsible for screwing things up and making it so no one has their preferences. ;)

I'm fairly certain I haven't made too many HUGE mistakes yet...but if the hole placement was one of them, everyone here will learn about it by about the end of January.

I think we need a contest to name this Ice Resort.......maybe the person who's name you pick could cut the ceremony ribbon once it's in place on solid ice... :)

First off...at this rate I'm not sure Sudbury will see solid ice before about the middle of January.

Secondly, the shack already has a name. Ice9. It's a nod to writer Kurt Vonnegut Jr...who my buddy Jamz and I were somewhat obsessed with as younger men. Also, my grandmother recently passed. We called her "Nain" (pronounced nine) which is the Welsh word for grandmother. She left each of her grandchildren a little something with strict instructions that it be used for pure frivolity, and not stuff like bills or household obligations...and also with the understanding that it goes to us, and not our spouses. My wife is pretty cool and lets me do my thing most of the time...she probably wouldn't have kicked up too big a fuss either way...but because of my Nain's thoughtful gift the wife can say nothing.

...If the holes were in the middle, you'd have to walk along the sides of the hut to get from front to back. I'm going to have shelves and stuff hanging on the walls...I've been in a hut where you had to scoot along the inside wall to move around and we were always knocking stuff off the walls or from shelves with our bulky cold-weather gear. You may have to step over a rod or two when you are at the back of the hut and blast through it to the door when you see a tip-up flag pop...but you won't risk a wet boot or broken ankle from holes in the middle of the floor...which, as far as I'm concerned, there is no worse place to put them.

Ahh, never thought of that. You've definitely given it some serious thought about what works and doesn't and this will add to the pleasure of using your hut when the ice is thick enough. Would be cool to have a small solar panel so you can run some patio lights along the outside ;)

Nice......your gramdmother paid for the Ice Resort....we need many more grandmother's like that in this world.... :clapping: She was a smart and kind lady... :)

You have no idea how right you are. The only thing you didn't get quite right is that we need more PEOPLE like her in this world. I had always thought she treated me special because I was her grandchild (which I'm sure she did) but found out talking to those who knew her that she treated everyone special. She had nothing but kind words even for those who absolutely didn't deserve them.

She lived almost her whole life married to an avid fisherman and raised two of her own. Several of her grandchildren enjoy the sport but the passion for it her husband had that I inherited was something she always recognized and indulged. She'd be happy knowing what became of her gift.

Thanks for getting me to take a few moments to really think about her, Bob. I'll try to do that more often.

Ahh, never thought of that. You've definitely given it some serious thought about what works and doesn't and this will add to the pleasure of using your hut when the ice is thick enough. Would be cool to have a small solar panel so you can run some patio lights along the outside ;)

It's possible you're joking...but I'm going to wire the hut (I am an electrician after all) and bring a generator. I'll have a couple of batteries, a charger and an inverter. I'll run the generator until the batteries are topped up and then turn it off and use the inverter. When the batteries get low, I'll fire up the genny until they're good. I figured on a four foot dual lamp, T-8 florescent fixture for the inside, and some kind of flood light on the outside to illuminate the area in front of the viewing window. If I can get my hands on some cheap solar garden lights I'll put a couple on top so even when I'm not there the drunken snowmobilers will see it a mile away. Regardless I'm going to cover the thing in reflectors.

It's possible you're joking...but I'm going to wire the hut (I am an electrician after all) and bring a generator. I'll have a couple of batteries, a charger and an inverter. I'll run the generator until the batteries are topped up and then turn it off and use the inverter. When the batteries get low, I'll fire up the genny until they're good. I figured on a four foot dual lamp, T-8 florescent fixture for the inside, and some kind of flood light on the outside to illuminate the area in front of the viewing window. If I can get my hands on some cheap solar garden lights I'll put a couple on top so even when I'm not there the drunken snowmobilers will see it a mile away. Regardless I'm going to cover the thing in reflectors.

LED light strips would be your best friend

ha ha, half joking but it would definitely be something I would probably do just to be different. I'd go LED though instead of fluorescent, easier on the battery but not same light quality though which could be important for those long sessions. Figure a 15w panel would top up a battery (if it was running LEDs) and then take the whole thing with you when yer done for the day/s.

Maybe add some 3m reflective tape or driveway markers to the outside corners as well as solar lights to keep sledders from running into your ice home.

Hope you take tons of photos when this thing is set up !

fishNwire,

The more I read about this Ice Resort the more I would like to see you move it and then see it again once it's in full operation and of course removal come March...it's going to be the standard from now on how ice huts should be built....everything else on the ice will only ice shacks in comparison... I just wish you were closer to me... So more pictures...and somehow find a video camera....many digit cameras have this option...

The hut is starting to look good. :thumbsup_anim:

Reflective 3m tape is a good idea, when you put it on put it at waist level so that head lights will catch it.Also staple it to the hut so the cold doesn't lift it.

I also put solar moonrays on my hut, bought from Dollarama.

The one's that mount to a wall.

They work great and they are high enough that a ladder or standing up on a seat of an atv/sled would be needed if someone wanted them more then I do.

If they steal them I'm out $4.52

Make it a twelve month running series and maybe call it QUEST FOR HARD WATER .

OH GOD....I can see it now...."Canadian's Gone Wild on Ice"....hey, why not, they have the stupid "Big Shrimpin" and "Sons of Guns" still on the History Channel.... :rolleyes:

Every week a different ice hut would be visited to see how men of the Great White North cope when the fish are not biting.... :rofl2:

I guarantee you it would be a better show then "Big Shrimpin" where each week the brine machine breaks down and they can't freeze the shrimp... :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy Bob

ha ha, half joking but it would definitely be something I would probably do just to be different. I'd go LED though instead of fluorescent, easier on the battery but not same light quality though which could be important for those long sessions. Figure a 15w panel would top up a battery (if it was running LEDs) and then take the whole thing with you when yer done for the day/s.

Maybe add some 3m reflective tape or driveway markers to the outside corners as well as solar lights to keep sledders from running into your ice home.

Hope you take tons of photos when this thing is set up !

The florescent fixture I'm looking at is 32W and only costs about $50. I've seen some amazing 120 V LED fixtures around that use less watts and give better light, but the price is prohibitive.

I don't think I'll bother with a solar panel because I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it set up when I'm not there. I'm also not planning on leaving the batteries, charger or inverter (we drive our trucks right to the hut) so it's easier to just bring charged batteries and have the generator for when they need to be topped up. It's not like I can count on getting the power I would need for an all-nighter from a solar panel set out during a winter's day, so I'd need the generator regardless.

There will be no shortage of reflectors affixed to this shack. Of that I can assure you.

I will absolutely take lots of photos when this thing is set up, and a bunch between now and then.

fishNwire,

The more I read about this Ice Resort the more I would like to see you move it and then see it again once it's in full operation and of course removal come March...it's going to be the standard from now on how ice huts should be built....everything else on the ice will only ice shacks in comparison... I just wish you were closer to me... So more pictures...and somehow find a video camera....many digit cameras have this option...

First of all Bob, make no mistake...I'm building an ice SHACK.

Secondly, I know you're eager to see photos/video of me struggling to overcome obstacles and encountering near (or outright) catastrophe...and I'll do my best to capture that and promise to share it here with everyone...I only worry you may be a little disappointed. Then again...I'm worried even more that you won't.

Regardless, my camera does have video capability so I'll try taking some if something interesting comes up.

If you were closer to me, I'd invite you to come check things out for yourself, and maybe lend a hand when an extra one (or two) is required. Anyone who is nearby and interested can feel free to shoot me a PM...especially if they have access to a tilt and load tow truck. ;)

fishNwire.....if you haven't purchased any reflector "tape" I have some heavy duty commercial, real sticky stuff if you want....it's BLUE in color and was used on RR engines....don't know how it would stick to wood but on metal it NEVER came off once put in place....and it will never fade out. They are about 6" squares that you can use like that or cut into stripes with scissors. Just PM me if your interested and I'll drop them in the mail.

Bob

The hut is starting to look good. :thumbsup_anim:

Reflective 3m tape is a good idea, when you put it on put it at waist level so that head lights will catch it.Also staple it to the hut so the cold doesn't lift it.

I was planning on doing exactly that.

I also put solar moonrays on my hut, bought from Dollarama.

The one's that mount to a wall.

They work great and they are high enough that a ladder or standing up on a seat of an atv/sled would be needed if someone wanted them more then I do.

If they steal them I'm out $4.52

Cool...I didn't know they were a dollar store item. That works out perfectly.

fishNwire.....if you haven't purchased any reflector "tape" I have some heavy duty commercial, real sticky stuff if you want....it's BLUE in color and was used on RR engines....don't know how it would stick to wood but on metal it NEVER came off once put in place....and it will never fade out. They are about 6" squares that you can use like that or cut into stripes with scissors. Just PM me if your interested and I'll drop them in the mail.

Bob

Thanks. Pm sent.

First of all Bob, make no mistake...I'm building an ice SHACK.

Not from the pictures I have seen so far....

This is a "ice shack"....your's is a "Ice Resort" in my eyes... :whistling:

picspart1138-2.jpg

BTW have you thought of making the ceiling higher then need be for light storage, e.g. heavy jackets, etc.....maybe light shelves or netting to just throw you heavy out wear up there to free up floor and wall space..