Household deep fryers & Fish

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I found a sweet deep frier on Kijiji..... The guy tells me it has been used to cook perch.... "Only used one time" is what it says in the ad.

I have been told once you cook fish in a deep frier, its pretty well ruined.... and can only be used for cooking fish. I was told it holds the taste of the fish and any other food you cook will have a fishy taste to it ??? How true is this statement ???

The filters would most likely need to be changed because they would smell like fish right ???

Thanks

Its a stupid question I know.

Edited by Lunker777

i think that statement has to do with oil...

if you cook fish...then chicken... the chicken gets the fish taste...

if you clean it out well you should be good...

if what you heard was true.... that would mean the metal/plastic absorbs the flavor and transfers it to all the other food...

i havent experienced this...

It's all about flavour holding in the oil. Thtaste of fish is not embedded in the fryer.

There is a way to remove the fish taste/odor from the oil. When you finish cooking your fish, you clarify your oil by frying a batch of taters. The taters, due to some chemical process. absorb or neutralize the residual flavours. Works quite well. Not every kitchen has a separate fryer for fish. You have a fryer bank for meat, and one for taters, rings, etc... YOu would be amazed at how many restaurants precook their breakfast sausage and bacon in the fryer.

It's all about flavour holding in the oil. Thtaste of fish is not embedded in the fryer.

There is a way to remove the fish taste/odor from the oil. When you finish cooking your fish, you clarify your oil by frying a batch of taters. The taters, due to some chemical process. absorb or neutralize the residual flavours. Works quite well. Not every kitchen has a separate fryer for fish. You have a fryer bank for meat, and one for taters, rings, etc... YOu would be amazed at how many restaurants precook their breakfast sausage and bacon in the fryer.

I'd heard the potato trick before, but that brings to mind a question... my mother in law is very much allergic to shell fish. should I cook up a batch of shrimp, do you think the potato trick would remove the shell fish problem from the oil?

I wouldn't try it, but I am curious...

HH

I'd heard the potato trick before, but that brings to mind a question... my mother in law is very much allergic to shell fish. should I cook up a batch of shrimp, do you think the potato trick would remove the shell fish problem from the oil?

HH

Mother in law you say..hmmm...I say give it a go :devil:

What are you really out :whistling:

HH

Clarifying the oil, to my knowledge, merely eliminates the fishy flavour in the oil. It will not remove any actual bits or scraps of meat left in the oil.

great subject (eating is one of my favorite pass times !). When frying fish - how do you know it's time to change the oil and/or how many times can you reuse the same oil ??

It depends on 2 things.

1) Are you straining all the sediment out of your oils after using?

2) Temperature you are frying at. The hotter you fry, or the more fatty your meats, the quicker the oil will darken. Get your oil to the point of burning/smoking, and i would throw the oil out.

Bacon and sausage cause the oil to darken very fast, unless you fry a lot of potato with it.

Truth is, you want a little colour in your oil to get that golden brown. Nothing worse than doing fries in new oil.

This thread keeps getting better and better. Just so happens i took a couple of packs of walleye out of the freezer.I want to do the bacon thing.Would it be better in the oven or my deep fryer?

I vote for the fryer, but the oven/bbq method is "healthier" and still really good.