Any Steelhead on the Niagara River?

OntarioFlyGuy

After seeing a fishing show about the great Steelhead fishing on the Niagara River my wife and I decided to pay for a guided trip there.

Although our guide was friendly and seemed knowledable, unfortunately after fishing for 7 hrs we didn't hook a single Steelhead.

Makes me think twice about hiring a guide in the future.

Just wondering if the fishing shows exaggerate the excellence of some of these 'hot spots' or maybe we're just unlucky?

Has anyone else fished the Niagara river for Steelhead and had any success?

60 guys crowding the whirlpool this morning can't all be wrong!

Yes there are steelhead, browns, lake trout, as well as a multitude of other species in the Niagara.

Not hooking up even once? It happens, but rarely.

Thanks for the feedback. We were fishing from a boat which supposedly gives access to the more inaccessible hot spots in the river.

Think that next time we'll just try shore fishing instead and save the guide fee.

Guest chase4chrome

Too bad:

I've known the Niagara to run hot and cold--though when the bite is on best make an appointment with the chiropractor!!

Truth be told, I like my own space with some fecund water.

60 guys around a pool sound like you will need a lubricant.

I prefer to drive an extra hour or so and be within striking distance of three or four streams.

Best of luck!!

Edited by chase4chrome

Your guide should have rescheduled or given u a refund, because the water conditions have been crap the last couple days (chocolate milk)

Guess hes more cincerned about makin a buck than promoting busuness when he knew fishin would be very tough ( or impossible)

I agree. The numbers should have been better from a boat. I'd hold off until later in the year and when Erie has settled.

That's the update I was looking for though. cheers!

check out cast adventures his name is paul !!! he is the man you want to guide you for sure !!! he knows every inch of that river,he will put you on fish everytime.... :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

amazing guide and even in hard conditions has managed to put us on some fish!!!

The guide should have re-scheduled your trip if it was Mon or Tues this week when you went. With the high winds this past weekend, the Eastern basin of Lake Erie was churned up and muddy. The result is a muddy Niagara River, and with poor visibility comes difficult fishing.

Here is an aerial view of the Eastern Basin and the muddy plume of water dumping into Lake Ontario (top right corner of photo). The file is from November 12th, early on in that big wind storm. It would have been significantly worse come Monday!

a1.11316.1815.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

Best of luck in the future, don't give up on the River so easy though, it's truly world class! (when the conditions allow!)

Edited by tonyb

Agreed Tony. World class fishery for sure. I've fished the river alot and it is a hike for me, so I try to time the conditions right.

A buddy and I tried to meet up there for a fish for literally a year! Everytime our schedules would allow us to get together, the conditions sucked.

Then he moved to BC, those of you who know Al Patton will know why I wanted to fish the river with him! :)

To the OP, there are some awesome guides on the river.

Edited by Harrison

Agreed Tony. World class fishery for sure. I've fished the river alot and it is a hike for me, so I try to time the conditions right.

A buddy and I tried to meet up there for a fish for literally a year! Everytime our schedules would allow us to get together, the conditions sucked.

Then he moved to BC, those of you who know Al Patton will know why I wanted to fish the river with him! :)

To the OP, there are some awesome guides on the river.

Fished with Al a few times on the river back before he moved. Great guy, haven't talked to him in quite a while!