Novemberance Days Fishing.

Moosebunk

I met Grant for the first time, late evening on Wednesday June 25th, 2008 when arriving in Cochrane on the Polar Bear Express. He walked up to me grinning ear-to-ear and enthusiastically declared, "The Legendary Moosebunk! Nice to finally meet ya dude!" To that greeting, how could I not turn red-cheeked and instantly warm to the man.

Along with others, we shared a trip to remote Northern Ontario's, Pym Island, that spring.

Moving down to the Ottawa valley during the summer of 2009, it wasn't until June 17th, 2010 and much dust had settled, that I finally shared a boat with Grant again. Besides my father, wife, kids and nephew James, Grant was the first friend aboard The Bomber. It was that sunny day on the Mad when realizing how much his company I thoroughly appreciated and missed.

A month later, along with others, we shared a trip to Ontario's world-class pike and walleye fishery, Kesagami Lake.

The deal was sealed. I love spending days fishing with Grant. In a short few years I could see his philosophy for enjoying the outdoor life becoming similar to that of my own. Many days fishing together over the next year, his desire to make the next big trip kept us both busy in shared thought. Having that in a friend again was something which had been missing a long time while up north.

June 24th, 2011 Grant and I along with other friends, stepped on a float-plane and yet again returned to Pym.

On August 1st a message was left on my phone from Grant's friend Zedoodles. He was ill and unable to head out fishing with me that day. I figured the flu... but in the coming days learned I was very wrong, he has cancer.

The next few months were Hell for Grant. That's his story to tell if he chooses. Personally, I was never old enough to fully understand my Grandmother's cancer, and regrettably not close enough to fully sympathize with Brenda's sister's. Through my work and other acquaintances affected by the disease, it's impossible to not self-preserve by building personal defences to protect against the realities and hurt caused by cancer. Frontline healthcare workers spend their careers adapting to protect themselves in many different ways first, then help others.

While Grant was on life-support fighting, I was working a shift in the E.R. sifting through the bloody-matted hair and ear of an elderly man who pulled the trigger of his 22 and rattled a bullet through his brain. A terminal cancer leading to loss of quality in life, was his main stressor.

Same weekend, a sepsis of the like which Grant was fighting through, took a young man within hours of first spiking a fever and feeling short of breath. Gasping, a loving family and a Priest stood over him to read those last rights, absolve his sins and see him on his way.

Admittedly, I wept more than once for Grant. Probably won't stop either. But the last time was when I walked with Grant outside the hospital doors for his first moments to be under the sun in a month. He was over-joyed, and driving home from hospital that afternoon, so was I for him.

About a month after discharge and not without complications, Grant finally found the energy to step aboard The Bomber and set some hooks. Although so much had happened to him in such a relatively short time, his character had barely been affected at all. If anything, that philosophy and desire of Grant's to live that full and happy life, is greater now than ever. He's teaching himself so much through this, and me too.

While out fishing; alongside his other great friend Luke, Grant took home the Gold during his first and fun day out in some time. It felt amazing to have him back, and we're both already growing excited for that next big trip together. Proud of him, really and truly proud, and thankful.

NOV 2. GRANT'S WINNING ATTITUDE.

Autumn11-103.jpg

Autumn11-106.jpg

Autumn11-107.jpg

Autumn11-105.jpg

Great day. Much needed for us all, yet especially Grant.

There's more report here too, getting down to the last while of fishing.

The past few weeks I've managed to sneak in 5 days up on Quinte. It's been wicked fun for me and my partners in the boat. Each and every trip has seen a personal best make it in the boat. The earlier three trips are in other reports but here's the quick recap...

Oct. 23. Mike's Day

11 for 16. 8 Walleye, 3 Sheephead. Mike's fish, 11 pounds I think it was.

Autumn11-075.jpg

Oct. 28. Pat's Day.

5 for 7. 2 Walleye, 3 Sheephead. Pat's fish, 14 pounds.

Autumn11-094.jpg

Nov 1. Dad's Day.

11 for 13. 7 Walleye, 3 Sheephead. Dad's fish, 11 pounds and an ounce.

Autumn11-100.jpg

NOV 5. YELLOW UNDER THE KNIFE.

Dan and I used to "mudpout" a short time while back in highshool. Case of beer, lawn chairs, pack of smokes, can of worms a hook and a float, and it'd be non-stop swiggin' pints and swinging rods. Well, time went on and while I left school to head north, he left school to head really north. Iqaluit first for Dan, then onward to the N.W.T. in Yellowknife. While on my way to the Arctic through his hometown a couple times in recent years, it's been my pleasure to see him again, and spend a little time with his wonderful new bride Susan, and himself.

One thing about Dan though that I find to be absolutely backwards is, he LOVES pickerel. Pickerel of the walleye persuasion. And nothing against the fish at all, many like 'em too, but it's fact he lives on the shores of Great Slave Lake where some of the world's largest lake trout and jackfish swim. (pike being jackfish as he calls 'em) To me, it's a little odd Dan is content fishing the more rare and smaller walleye in that part of the globe, but as he explains it, he thinks they're just the coolest looking fish of all and best eating too. So, I let his insanity slide a little and each year he returns to his hometown of Lanark, I'm willing to have him aboard the Bomber to chase what are possibly the largest walleye in the world, Quinte's Lake O golden sows.

As it's been this season on Quinte, fishing starts fast. Before we could finally get all four lines in and settle down to enjoy a coffee, we were 3 for 7 with 2 walleye aboard. We missed a number of other fish because you can't reel a fish in when you're both already reeling fish in. First half hour or so every trip has been magical.

For Dan and I though... things slowed. Over the next five hours we picked off two more walleye in the 6-pound range.

The breeze shifted from a slow-biting east to a warm biting south at the same time the sun peeked out. We had turned back on a favorite waypoint and found a small pod of bait waiting there. All four rods fired within seconds of one another. Dan took the inside port and I the outside starboard. His 7-8 pound-ish walleye came in quick, mine was being nasty. Dan took the inside starboard rod after his first fish released, and reeled in another 7-8 pounder while mine was still playing tough. Finally, Dan grabbed the outside port rod which had been dragging a fish this whole time. I no sooner got mine into the livewell that he got his in the boat too. 10 1/2 pounder for me, 11 pounder new personal best for him. Not only that, he caught three fish and about 25 plus pounds of walleye in record time. It's a first to have all rods fire.

We took some time for pics finally. And figuring how it was a total chaotic but smoothly finished team effort, we took some doubles with each or our two big fish.

Autumn11-109.jpg

Autumn11-108.jpg

Autumn11-110.jpg

Dan with his new PB. A 30-inch football. Man the dood enjoys these fish.

A little later on, one more chunker hit an outside RR and came aboard.

Autumn11-112.jpg

Online reports after the busy Saturday were pretty slow, but luckily we had hit those two good windows in the right place at the right time. Finished 10 for 14 with 8 Walleyes, 1 Sheephead and a first white bass for Dan.

Always a good time sharing the boat with this old friend. Looking forward to a future fishing trip up into his world someday too.

NOV 8. TONY RIPS SOME LIPS.

Hadn't seen hide nor hair of friends Ian and Tony in months. The Sunday, two days earlier the three of us got our butts handed to us on a new-to-me lake which only the day before had hosted a bass tournament. C'est la vie and it didn't bother me. The time spent with both was well worth every effort and certainly great for catching up. Hope to spend more time bassin' or anything else with these guys in the future.

After working the Monday and hanging with the girls after school, Tuesday Tony was able to make his first trip ever down to the Bay. Before departure over the phone he warned of his walleye curse but yet still felt confident he could beat his 8-pound Erie personal best. No pressure. Haha!

I'd never spent a day fishing with Tony, and this day I was surely glad I did.

Fishing was sloooooow. Eastly weather for the day. All decent bigger fish have come from one general area this season and upon arriving there, they weren't home this time. We set off on a troll.

After about a half hour I questioned things. Changing the low range from 60 feet of water down to 80, that was when the sonar found the fish. All day long the walleye stayed deeper than I was prepared to go. Luckily though, it wasn't but a few minutes after adjusting the sonar, while on a turn the far inside rod fired. Tony pounced on it and reeled in his best walleye, an 11 1/4 pound fish.

Autumn11-113.jpg

Autumn11-116.jpg

Shortly after I gave up my go and Tony got another. It was a harder fighting fish that wasn't such a pretty picture. The walleye had some nasty growths on it's cheeks and body. Tony pointed out how both fish came on the turn, on the slow bait. We'd try a little more zig-zaggin' through the day.

Couldn't complain about the warm and calm weather but the fishing as said, remained tough. By days end we were 5 for 9, with a third eater walleye coming at last light for Tony and two Sheephead in the boat for me. That said though, one Lamb was a real slammer and it did nothing but kick and scream the entire 520 feet back to the boat. Probably my PB but I didn't weigh it. Big fish, but not Aaron Shirley's big.

Autumn11-117.jpg

It was a great day that almost didn't happen. Glad Tony was available to join me.

NOV 9. JUST ME AND GRANT.

Quality time... except for the fact after launching I realized I forgot the boat key. Didn't take long to race home and retrieve it, but it was still dumb and the first time it's happened.

Grant and I met for noon on the local pond, with plans of enjoying our sifting out of the cochroaches while in search of precious metals, like gold. A blowy quiet afternoon leaving windows to slay fish, we talked up a storm and were only interrupted by frequent pike, largies, case-workers on the phone, my ever-increasing need to stop and eat, and the odd walleye.

Grant was more energy this week than the previous. He remarked how every day he felt physically stronger, his recovery to get back to better than the health he once had, an ever-pressing goal. It's kind of uplifting to see a nearly dead man over a month ago, walk tall today.

Didn't catch any bigguns that afternoon but did manage a few dozen or more of the expected quarry. The evening skyline was a treat before packing it in to head home for supper. With only weeks left to share the boat this year, a week like this one will make it harder to put it away.

Autumn11-121.jpg

Autumn11-119a.jpg

Thanks all for coming out.

Edited by Moosebunk

nice to see someone dialing in those quinte pigs... so far it seems to be a tough year....

really awesome pictures.... i wish more of my friends could take a decent picture... i got a 9.6lb walleye the other day... buddy snaps a pic... i let her go... look at the camera... it was out of focus and his finger was covering part of the picture...

What a story Drew. Really is amazing to see Grant walking tall, all the best Grant. Awesome report and pics as always. A great way to spend some time with family and friends over the last month. Hoping to get my buddy his PB tomorrow after years of bugging him to come down. :) Thanks for the report.