To fog or not to fog

davey buoy

Aww he changed the spelling no more fun...

Fogging has a big benefit it puts a protective coating on the passages were the Air flows thru the engine. With a fuel additive protecting the fuel and good old anti freeze in the water jacket you are golden.

Art

I don't know, but me and 3 other guys have stand-up jetskis at the cottage and we all just throw them under a tree, under a tarp, and fire them up the next year (or sometimes 2 years later) and they don't miss a beat, just my 2 cents

The jetskies carbs are built without float bowls so they are less likely to build varnish than the floatbowled carbs found on outboard motors. The fuel in the tank will still burn but it has water, varnish and other unburnable products. Jetskies will take a beating without question but any motor that you take care of will last longer than one that you take less care of.

Art

How many of us remember when there was no such thing. Most of us just ran the gas out of the engine on the last trip in the fall and drained the lower unit. Fill the lower unit in the spring and top up the gas tank and you're good to go. Outboards lasted almost forever and nobody worried too much. What happened? Someone came up with all this unneeded high tech stuff and all of a sudden it costs a fortune to winterize an outboard. What's up with that?

How many of us remember when there was no such thing. Most of us just ran the gas out of the engine on the last trip in the fall and drained the lower unit. Fill the lower unit in the spring and top up the gas tank and you're good to go. Outboards lasted almost forever and nobody worried too much. What happened? Someone came up with all this unneeded high tech stuff and all of a sudden it costs a fortune to winterize an outboard. What's up with that?

It`s called creating additional streams of income!!!

I remember some years ago when I had my Evinrude I went to the dealer with a list of stuff that the manual said I needed to winterize, the mechanic promptly scratched 2/3 of the stuff off the list.

Thanks guys for some of your helpful replies. Never quite understood why there isn't a interlock on the key start to make sure there is no chance of starting the boat without the blower running for at least 20 sec.:wallbash: like that gas leak could happen at anytime.

I also believe that the less rust you have on your cylinders and rings can't be a bad thing either when you fire up in the spring.

Thanks guys for some of your helpful replies. Never quite understood why there isn't a interlock on the key start to make sure there is no chance of starting the boat without the blower running for at least 20 sec.:wallbash: like that gas leak could happen at anytime.

I also believe that the less rust you have on your cylinders and rings can't be a bad thing either when you fire up in the spring.

Sorry davey, didn't mean to have a laugh at your expense............well, ok I did, but nothing personal, apologies....J...

I've been fogging my motors for years,do you think it really works? and will it do any internal damage?Thanks davey.

Theirs a old saying.A stitch in time saves nine.

In the mechanical trade,This is called Preventative Maintenance.

And yes,keep fogging.It's only going too help.

Yep keep on fogging - preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Don't turn the engine over after you fog and then pull the plugs and crank the engine in the spring to give the cylinders a chance to clear before you first start it.

You can always find someone to tell you otherwise but I have seen the inside of enough engines to know it makes a difference.

Dan

Davey, seriously, you should be looking for the correct method of doing this. You're leaving the upper plug open during the winter? You're supposed to be filling it from the bottom. There must be something I'm not understanding here.

Davey, seriously, you should be looking for the correct method of doing this. You're leaving the upper plug open during the winter? You're supposed to be filling it from the bottom. There must be something I'm not understanding here.

Roy,it's a expansion thing,I believe there is no water in the lower unit

,but if there was, there was room for expansion of ice.I always fill from the bottom to change or top up the oil. Your thinking maybe drain the oil and all new oil in the spring? davey.

Remember the lower end is completely covered in garbage bags and sealed. No chance of rain getting in roy. Let me know what ypu think?

Edited by davey buoy