BIG Surprise On The River The Other Day

solopaddler

That really is a nice fish. Just curious Mike, did the pike hit long into the retrieve? And if it hit at the start of the retrieve, how long did it take you to realize that it was a pike. I ask because neither of these fish react the same way but if you're really not expecting a pike.... ?

It hit right at the end of the retrieve, about 5' in front of me.

A very subtle "tick" then just dead weight and big slow head shakes.

I figured it was a salmon on it's last legs. No furious runs, just a lengthy bulldog battle.

Wasn't until 10 minutes into the fight when I worked it in close and had a good look. At that point I pretty much had a heart attack LOL!

Seriously though.....we gotta get out soon....bring that Bill guy too....you two are a blast to fish with!

It's been a stellar month Cliff, lots of bright chrome steelhead.

Anytime you want to get out just say the word and we'll work something out.

Something about this time of year, pike, and small lures. I had 3 pike the other day while smallie fishing with Nories tailspins. They are about the size of a #3 mepps. I finally switched lures because I couldn't keep the pike off of the tailspin.

Nice fish!!

Edited by singingdog

I'm going to post something in the near future. Highlight of the month so far was my 5 yr old catching his first steelhead.

Still have a report to post on my trip to Nakina last month as well...

October's been a busy month. :)

Wow it is busy Mike...I hope my boy would be interested in steelheading. I'm hoping by the time he's 5 i'll be a little bit better at it :D . I bet your son had a blast landing it.

a little off topic, do you happen to know where to get kids waders? My nephew could not forget when i took him one time but he didn't have any waders, he got in anyway and got wet and he got himself a nice little trout....needless to say he was so happy.

Very cool Mike. I've never seen a pike that big caught while fishing for steelhead. Funny enough, I've caught small ones on glo-bugs in spring.

On another note, which rod do you normally use for chucking hardware for steelhead? I'm definitely in the market for a new spinner/spoon/kwikfish/crankbait rod for bigger rivers.

Wow it is busy Mike...I hope my boy would be interested in steelheading. I'm hoping by the time he's 5 i'll be a little bit better at it :D . I bet your son had a blast landing it.

a little off topic, do you happen to know where to get kids waders? My nephew could not forget when i took him one time but he didn't have any waders, he got in anyway and got wet and he got himself a nice little trout....needless to say he was so happy.

I got a pair of hip boots for my daughter at Canadian Tire. At this point I'm restricting my son to shore fishing. I havn't been able to find waders small enough, plus he's really too small yet...

Your best bet locally would likely be Bass Pro though.

nice gator mike i will pm you after all the family stuff is over

Looking forward to it Doug.

Quite the fish, Solopaddler!! Have you had any luck with bows using crankbaits?

Thx

I use them probably 50% of the time now. Very specific colors and lures though, not just any small crankbait.

You also have to switch out the hooks as the hooks that they come with tend to get crushed by steelhead.

So you caught a small pike while Steelheading? Sorry about your bad luck Mike. I'd rather have caught a sucker. Much easier to shake off.

I have to admit I fibbed a bit Dan. I didn't catch the pike on a crankbait.

I was deadbaiting with one of these:

NakinaSept2011093.jpg

I find the vivid colors of spawning brook trout (aka bait) really attract the big gators.

Very cool Mike. I've never seen a pike that big caught while fishing for steelhead. Funny enough, I've caught small ones on glo-bugs in spring.

On another note, which rod do you normally use for chucking hardware for steelhead? I'm definitely in the market for a new spinner/spoon/kwikfish/crankbait rod for bigger rivers.

I had an 11' 2pc 6-10lb CTS built for throwing hardware and bottom bouncing. Great stick, lots of power.

Wow, that is a tank for a creek. Pretty awesome! Must have gave a wicked fight. You must have thought you hooked the mother of all steelhead at first :lol:

I caught a nice pike on the Grindstone years ago, but not close to being that big. That is a very rare catch. Congrats.

"I use them probably 50% of the time now. Very specific colors and lures though, not just any small crankbait.

You also have to switch out the hooks as the hooks that they come with tend to get crushed by steelhead."

Solopaddler---If it's not too much of a secret, could you tell us what lures and colors? I hear some folks swear by orange Rapalas. I thought Rapalas were too shallow. My fave bass lure is a crayfish pattern "Big O" which dives a bit deeper. So do you remove the trebles and replace with a single hook?

thx

"I use them probably 50% of the time now. Very specific colors and lures though, not just any small crankbait.

You also have to switch out the hooks as the hooks that they come with tend to get crushed by steelhead."

Solopaddler---If it's not too much of a secret, could you tell us what lures and colors? I hear some folks swear by orange Rapalas. I thought Rapalas were too shallow. My fave bass lure is a crayfish pattern "Big O" which dives a bit deeper. So do you remove the trebles and replace with a single hook?

thx

The number one steelhead crank for me is the Megabass MR-X Griffon. Anything with purple in it is deadly.

Some of the darker more subtle colors work amazingly well on stale fish in clear water too.

http://www.megabassusa.com/products/mr-x-griffon

The hooks are switched out to more durable trebles. The ones they come with are razor sharp, but not strong enough.

I've also had huge success with a variety of similar Lucky Craft crankbaits.

I also use the standard stuff like Kwikfish, Flatfish, Rapalas, etc...

These little crankbaits really work though. Yes I know they're expensive but they produce fish.

Edited by solopaddler