anyone caught any of these?

ribak

Im just going through Ontario fish list, and some of these I never caught or some never even heard of. Im wondeing if anyone had any experience catching some of these:

gizzard shad

bloater

longnose sucker

quillback carpsucker

ouananiche

even mooneye, goldeye, eels, and other non-common fish

any stories such as how they fight/taste/locations/bait and others would be great...

seems like an interesting topic

I've caught 'mooneye' down in front of the dam in Caledonia . . . small, silver, flat-ish typa fish . . . . a lot like a rock bass in shape, not as fat, more like a crappie in thickness. The ones I caught were 6" to 9" and they must be edible . . . . I saw quite a few in white buckets . . . . I THINK I may have caught some goldeye too . . . very similar in size & shape, but yellow eyes. I'd never seen either, or even heard of 'em before. This was just after pickerel opening a few years ago.

There are some healthy populations of mooneye in the Grand below Caledonia and in the Ottawa R. around Deep River. Scrappy little fish that is darn tasty, especially smoked. There's a few guys who love to catch them on the fly that turned me on to mooneyes, they travel in small tight schools and it takes a little bit of hunting to find them. But when you find them it can be fun. June is the prime time.

I've caught a few ling here and there, most from Hamilton Harbour but a few in Georgian Bay trib mouths. But the oddest critter I've ever caught was a dogfish (A.K.A. bowfin). Ugliest, strangest, almost prehistoric critter you'll ever meet in Ontario waters.

I think they're called "Ouananiche" because they are land-locked Atlantic salmon, and now reproduce naturally. I guess the Lake O atlantics don't qualify because they're not landlocked (though it would be a long, long swim back to the Atlantic).

Mike

so i guess mooneye are not so uncommon...I always thought they were northern water fish

yeah oanananiche are landlocked, and theres a very small populatio of them in a couple lakes (trout lake beside nipissing i think).

Ive caught a bowfin as well in holland river that was 8 pounds, all i can say is WHAT A FIGHT

122460.jpg

I caught a fish last year that even the MNR doesnt know what it is, I wish I knew how to post a picture, or if I could email someone the picture and they can post it

Here you go fliptheslop...sorry for the delay......interesting looking fish

gallery_137_132_13270.jpg

I've caught eels - not for a long while though, their populations are in trouble now and they may be protected - let them go if you catch one.

I've caught both Goldeyes and Longnose suckers, but not in Ontario, rather in the North Saskatchewan River in the city of Edmonton. The longnose suckers are finescaled and often exhibit a red stripe down the side, like a rainbow trout.

The mooneye is very common, I see thousands in the Ottawa River rising to suck bugs off the surface on calm summer evenings.

I've caught alot of mooney at Caledonia never took any home but some people say there good to eat. I caught a interesting fish last year on the grand near Cayuga. It was bitting and stealing the worm every time until finally I caught him in the side of the gill plate.

Found out it was a log perch

Picture009.jpg

hey bassmaster, regardin that bowfin

They can be caught in many shallow weedy waters across ontario, but i know many that are caught at the mouth of moon river the most. This one i caught in holland river (south of simcoe) about 10km from cooks bay fishing for carp. We were using corn for carp (did pretty well, caught a 29 pounder a year prior) but had some minnows for crappie, and this badboy hit on a minnow early in the morning. Fights like crazy, does not give up the whole time.

I know many people here have caught bowfins, so maybe someone else can be of more help

good luck

hey bassmaster, regardin that bowfin

They can be caught in many shallow weedy waters across ontario, but i know many that are caught at the mouth of moon river the most. This one i caught in holland river (south of simcoe) about 10km from cooks bay fishing for carp. We were using corn for carp (did pretty well, caught a 29 pounder a year prior) but had some minnows for crappie, and this badboy hit on a minnow early in the morning. Fights like crazy, does not give up the whole time.

I know many people here have caught bowfins, so maybe someone else can be of more help

good luck

thanks ribak ill let u know if i catch one

I thought the sucker i caught in caledonia looked a bit different:P....And i caught one of those mooneye by the ski ramp in the grande near dunnville, google search looked similar

if i can find my old memory card for my cam ill load a pic of the sucker up on here

Drew

I t use to be easy to catch ells waited for my local tribs to muddy up and they were every where. They are very good for catching striper,often referred to as striper candy. Now you can't get them and a lot of people are using soft baits, slug o's.

As for the Bowfin I use to catch a lot of those growing up in Michigan . Fished for them with minnies and small suckers and my what a fight.

Edited by ALEX