A day on the St. Lawrence with Musky Mike

Hey everyone, I just got back from fishing with musky mike. What a day! I cannot express what a pleasure it is to share the boat with Mike. The guy is just one of the nicest guys you can meet and made what could have turned out to be a miserable day because of the weather into a day I'll never forget.

my brother and I arrived at Mike's place around 7am and the wind was blowing pretty hard. Mike offered to take us carp fishing today and musky fishing tomorrow and have us stay the night but my brother's wife would kill him if he didn't come home tonight so MIke mAde a phone call and borrowed a ranger 620 fisherman to use for the day. When we got out on the water the waves were huge and it was pretty scary at times but he got us through them safely and we started trolling after being covered in waves (poor Mike got the worst of it sitting in the back too). It didn't take long for the clicker to go off and my brother was the first one up to bat since he's never fished for musky before. After a big jump he landed a nice solid musky in the 40" range. Gorgeous fish is all I can say and a great start to the day. We kept trolling for a little while and the clicker went off again, my turn to grab the rod this time. I got a musky around 38". Smiles all around and it helped us forget about being soaked (for a while anyways).

We later stopped for lunch to warm up a bit and went back out, this time trying casting. I hooked into a 44" musky on a crankbait, my new PB! I was suddenly warm and the adrenaline was pumping. My brother was absolutely soaked right through all of his clothes and was freezing so I didn't want to keep him out any longer (only around 1pm by this time) but he didn't want to stop me from fishing since he knew I didn't want to stop lol. So Mike again graciously offered to have his gf pick my brother up and take him back to his place where he can get into some dry clothes. Beginning to see a pattern here? Mike just won't let anything ruin the day and found out a way to make everyone happy. Special thanks to Mike's gf too who helped out somebody she didn't even know. Just a classy family all around.

So we kept on fishing and after some more casting we decided to troll again. The sun started coming out and it was a welcome sight but that didn't last long. The wind (and rain) picked up again and we hooking into another musky (mid 30" range) and then decided to call it a day since the waves had gotten BIG again. Another VERY rough boat ride ended the fishing day. 4 musky boated including my brother's first and my personal best! I had only caught 4 musky all year before today! Mike is just an incredible guide and he is an even nicer person.

I'll post pictures later. Thanks again Mike for a day I'll never forget! worthy.gif

I was thinking about you guys today, wondering if you got out. You are so right about Mike and Marissa, they are the nicest people you ever hope to meetclapping.gif

Mikes easy going spirit and knowledge keep you entertained the whole time you are on the water with him, and before ya know it, the day is over.

Glad you guys got into some fish, looking forward to the pics!!!

Paul

Thanks again Mike! There's not too many pictures of me smiling like that.

I can't stress enough how fun yet serious Mike is about fishing. Even to the extent that he loses sleep planning out the day, checking the weather reports, etc...the night before. AND when he had every right to cancel the planned fishing day due to the weather he found a way to make it both safe and VERY enjoyable for us. The guy goes above and beyond.

Thnx for the complements...

In the end the biggest fish measuring 44.5 inches was the result of dontcryformejanhrdina's never quit attitude and determination... We all had dishpan hands and were chilly... And he was up in the front of the boat chucking baits... I chose the spot... He did the rest... And I was glad to see him get a PB on his rod and his lure that he picked... That'll give some confidence...

Awesome report. Mike, great job man.

You guys are brave. I had waves crash 10 feet on shore at my place this weekend. Must have been lonely out on the lake!

i used kris's boat...lol

no way id be out in my boat...

i had the ranger in the air a couple times and dam near verticle too...

worst waves ive ever been in...

didnt see any boats till we headed west...

Great report. Mike, this is what it takes to be a real musky fisherman. Ya gotta fish to catch fish.

thanks larry...

i was glad i got us out and back safely and got some fish in those huge waves... interesting fighting a musky in 30-40km/h winds...

boat control...boat control...boat control...

thanks larry...

i was glad i got us out and back safely and got some fish in those huge waves... interesting fighting a musky in 30-40km/h winds...

boat control...boat control...boat control...

That 115HP tiller on the Ranger, makes it a bit easier to control in the wind i betclapping.gif

That 115HP tiller on the Ranger, makes it a bit easier to control in the wind i betclapping.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

thats a lot of weight and torque to battle all day...

i had to get marissa to work on my arm every day since then... my hole upper body is pretty tender...

the big boat was sweet tho...

need to get power steering for the tiller...

Thanks everyone.

Yeah that is a really heavy tiller to be moving all day long in those waves, I can't even imagine how Mike must have been feeling afterwards.

I had the next three days off and was planning on doing some more musky fishing but Sunday after driving to Haliburton after visiting family in Bancroft I launched my boat in Head Lake but when I went to pull the trailor out, my tires just spun. Flip into 4 wheel drive and they still spun...got out of my truck and my trailor looked like it was on an angle. Tried calling a tow truck but the only tow truck in town was in Barry but they said several people have gotten their trailors stuck in there before. Oh geez....only 1 thing I could do....go swimming. The water was so cold once it hit my chest I was literally gasping for air and couldn't breath and the back of the trailor was too deep for me to stand behind and pick up so I had to dive under, tie a rope around it then pull it up while a guy passing by drove my truck out. The result was a bent axle with 1 tire bent right into the frame. Thankfully my boat is just a 14' aluminum so I called my uncle who has a long box in his truck and we threw the boat in there (after I waited around 2-3 hours SOAKING wet in the wind lol). So my fishing year is officially over. :( One of the guys helping me get my trailor out said I had some balls for diving in there, but all I could think was it was going to take me a few days to find them again :P.

So thanks again to Mike for such an awesome day of fishing. By far my best day fishing during my best fishing year was my last day out. It sucks that I won't be casting anymore this year but it could have been a lot worse and, well, stuff happens.