Danforth boat achors

Skipper D

Any body have a fix for thease useless Danforth anchors that makes them work right . I am think about bringing this one that i have into my shop and doing something to it to make it work , its been nothing but a pain , came with the boat . Iknow i can go buy another one but i like how lite they are . The other day out there was no way i could get the thing to hold or any other time for that mater . Was thinking about welding some thing to it , to make the back of it stand up so it would dig in , just thought i'd check here first to see what others mat have done for a fix .

Any body have a fix for thease useless Danforth anchors that makes them work right . I am think about bringing this one that i have into my shop and doing something to it to make it work , its been nothing but a pain , came with the boat . Iknow i can go buy another one but i like how lite they are . The other day out there was no way i could get the thing to hold or any other time for that mater . Was thinking about welding some thing to it , to make the back of it stand up so it would dig in , just thought i'd check here first to see what others mat have done for a fix .

I hear what you're saying, but save yourself the time and aggravation...they suck, period. I had a 20lb Danforth that couldn't even hold my 19' boat in the wind on the Grand River in 3 feet of water with 100' of line and 3 feet of heavy chain out. I ended up sending one of my guests out of the boat to tie us op to a stump! LOL how annoying...

hownottoanchor.jpg

I've Upgraded to a 25lb Richter and now I stay locked wherever I anchor be it sand, mud, gravel, etc. Even for deep water jigging applications, I can have less line out to stay put. I actually purchased 2 of them for deep fishing to prevent the 'swing' using a bow and stern technique.

http://www.richteranchors.com/

Hope it helps, even though you probably didn't want to hear this hehe

Edited by tonyb

the danforth is a great anchor,and your new boat is 44 ft it depends on the fluke size of the anchor and its holding power,it should hold 3000lbs in 20knot winds....thers different weights for the anchor size too....do you know how much it weighs,maybe its the wrong size ??? lots of info on the net about anchors,and proper size,and holding power and what size you should have for your boat ?? cheers

Get a Water Spike. By far the best anchor I have ever used. It holds in pretty well anything and is easily removable as well. I've got a 25 foot hardtop fishing boat and no matter what kind of wind or waves there are this thing holds, and I also anchor stern first. When I had my danforth, it p'd me off many times as I could never anchor when it was windoy on our favourite walleye lake, but never a problem now. Also, you can disassemble it so that it doesn't take up very much room when not in use. Another thing, the biggest one only weighs 16 pounds but is rated upto a 35' boat.

I got mine from Cabela's shipped to my door in three days.

Edited by Kingsalmon

Thanks every one , i' am going to give this Danforth one last chance before i give up on it , the boat i am fishing out of for now is my 20" cabin cruiser ,it works good . I bought if off lake Ontario where it had been its hole life and figured since it came with it , it must of worked ok , like i've modifide most of the stuff i own to get it to work the way i want , i'll set this thing in on the work bench and see what i can come up with . Lots of things get thrown out every day because not enough thought go's into making them and some times they just need a little bit more to make them right . If i get it to work i'll do the show and tell thing in hopes it helps others , and if it dose'nt , its in the garbage and i'll go try some thing else like you's mention . Thanks again

While having the correct amount of rope out, it is more important to have the correct chain attached to the anchor. The chain has 2 functions one is abrasion the other is it gives the anchor the correct lay for the flukes to dig in. 6 to 9 ft or 8 lb. is recommended then the rope is attached using between a 5 to 7 : 1 ratio per foot of rode for a good overnight set. I have a 28ft cabin cruiser that worked well until I replaced it as an articulated plow anchor due to the bottom I set in (mud/sand).

Art

Thanks Art & Rick , i see the chain makes a lot of sence , how come theres no chain on mine ........good.gif

Chances are the previous owner didn't anchor out. The Danforths are a pain to set even with chain. The Bruce is a far superior anchor and can be used with or without chain, there is a knock off of the Bruce available at CTC. 16.5 and 22lb models $50 and $70 dollars. The original stainless steel Bruce anchors were $400 US in the 90's and are no longer manufactured.

I do a lot of anchoring while perch fishing (take note you Green Horns, you want to catch a LOT of perch you must anchor) on Lake Erie....my Danforth anchor holds quite well with 3' of 1/2 chain and a total of 165' of anchor rope...but you must hold the line and set the anchor, just don't throw the thing out there and hope for the best....in calm conditions that might work but when Erie is blowing you must set the anchor by hand as you play out line....but Danforth anchors are best in clay bottom conditions......at Chautauqua Lake my Danforth is useless because it just drags through all the weeds sp I leave it home and take my home made job.

Someday's it's VERY hard to retrieve the Danforth anchor on Erie because it's so deeply embedded into the clay bottom.

BTW 72 feet is the deepest I have ever anchored on Erie.

Bob