Jury Duty... NF

dave524

Just suppose, that the individual facing charges is you, and you are not guilty of what you have been charged with. Would you want a jury composed of un-caring, presuming guilt people judging you?

Think about that when you are called for your civic duty.

but the way the system works now

you get people who can't afford to be there, who only want to get it over with to get back to work, who may make a bad choice out of spite ............

guess the lesson here is don't get caught doing anything illegal ..LOL

I had to go once last year..It was horrible. We all (about 100 or so people) sat in a courtroom watched a video in being jurors. We were sent out for a break for 30 minutes then the just as the questioning was about to begin we were all sent home. It was hot and EVERYONE was whining up a storm..Horrible experience IMO. I understand the civic duty. the fact that if it were me being tried there is no way id want a jury. Id rather settle and get it over and done with..NO ONE wanted to be there that day.. I just kept thinking of the poor guy (guilty or not) on trial.. He was screwed with these potential Jurors...lol

One thing I don't get thou is how our government expects us to support our young families and do this too? If I had been selected and it was a long trial I would have had to skip it and possibly end up in jail myself. That's just wrong. As it stands now if I take so much as one day off of work I cant make some monthly payments...I couldn't imagine what would happen to us if I were gone 2 or 3 months.

I don't mind the idea of serving on a jury. In fact, I think it may be very interesting.

The problem I have with it is I'm the only income provider for a family of five.

A long trial would bankrupt me. :(

something doesnt make sense here...

judges get paid quite well.

lawyers usually make more then they deserve.

too much money gets spent keeping crooks in jail.

then you have jurors being forced to miss work and lose money.

maybe things would change if everyone grew a backbone and refused jury duty until 75%+ of wages are compensated. but, this is canada. the land where people love getting screwed...dry.

something doesnt make sense here...

judges get paid quite well.

lawyers usually make more then they deserve.

too much money gets spent keeping crooks in jail.

then you have jurors being forced to miss work and lose money.

maybe things would change if everyone grew a backbone and refused jury duty until 75%+ of wages are compensated. but, this is canada. the land where people love getting screwed...dry.

:good:

Just suppose, that the individual facing charges is you, and you are not guilty of what you have been charged with. Would you want a jury composed of un-caring, presuming guilt people judging you?

Think about that when you are called for your civic duty.

That's very true Albert.

But something about being forced to do something, something that will potentially hurt my family financially, sticks in my craw.

I'm all for it if there's zero financial repurcussions.

Otherwise forget it.