Buying a boat in the US.

BillM

Well it looks like the deal will be sealed this weekend for our Legend tiller. Now it's time to find something new! Even with the exchange you can't touch the prices down in the US (Sorry Canadian boat dealers!) and my oldman doesn't want to spend a fortune. I'm hoping to do a private sale (more haggle room) and am wondering what resources you guys have used to find your boats? I have been searching SiteMash a bit, but lots and lots of dealers. We don't mind driving to get a great deal and I already am familiar with the process required to bring it back over the border (Imported my oldmans Duramax from Florida)..

If anyone could recommend some places for me to look, I'd appreciate it!

I have brought in a couple of boats and a pair of sea doos and found this site to helpful:

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

You can start with the link below when searching for a boat:

www.boattrader.com

But what I found most successful was to literally google the model(s) you are looking to buy. Once you are serious about a particular boat ask for lots of photos. If the owner took care of it they will photograph every inch of it for you. This will also go a long way in terms of trust and weeding out scams.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have other questions I might be able to help with.

Well it looks like the deal will be sealed this weekend for our Legend tiller. Now it's time to find something new! Even with the exchange you can't touch the prices down in the US (Sorry Canadian boat dealers!) and my oldman doesn't want to spend a fortune. I'm hoping to do a private sale (more haggle room) and am wondering what resources you guys have used to find your boats? I have been searching SiteMash a bit, but lots and lots of dealers. We don't mind driving to get a great deal and I already am familiar with the process required to bring it back over the border (Imported my oldmans Duramax from Florida)..

If anyone could recommend some places for me to look, I'd appreciate it!

I'd be glad to fill you in ,send me a PM.

www.Craigslist.com I got my boat off there. Its like the kijiji of the states. Its huge and good deals. I picked up a 16 ft lund decked to the max for 6 grand. you have to watch out for scams make sure you see the boat in person none of this I will ship to you junk. Also you will get tagged with a bunch of import fees and also inspection fees Canada customs makes you do.

Bill you can check Iboats for some leads and also search for bass fishing forums here in the USA they have some great deals going on. Remember to check for titles for both the boat and the trailer and get Bill of Sale for each unit. I know you all have some tax reasons for them being separate.

Art

Great post, although after doing some reading it looks like things have changed sine 2006. I don't think a recall letter is required when importing a boat (Only a vehicle).. I need the title to both the trailer/boat and a bill of sale of each.

Bill some states dont issue boat and/or trailer titles. If you buy from a state that doesnt you must provide proof to the mto of such from the state agency where you bought it stating they are a non title state or mto will not issue you an ownership, a bill of sale is not good enough.

Edited by hirk

Bill some states dont issue boat and/or trailer titles. If you buy from a state that doesnt you must provide proof to the mto of such from the state agency where you bought it stating they are a non title state or mto will not issue you an ownership, a bill of sale is not good enough.

Yeah, there are only a few and they are pretty far away from where I am. Unless I get a smoking deal, I'll stick closer to home :)

I'd stick to the northern states for sure. Also, a history of the boat would be helpful. Check with the dealers in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin. Just google boat dealers in each state. Walleye Central is helpful and there can be some deals to be had on Musky Hunter's website as well. Good luck, I'm going to be going this route in 2-3 years when I start looking for a new boat.