Tobermorey to Midland by water non stop

Skipper D

Tobermorey to Midland non stop by boat . Thats what i'll get a chance to do in a few days as soon as the boat arrives in Tobermorey from Michigan that one of my buddys bought from over in the USA and is haveing it delivered that far . It then will be my job to take it from there into the Midland harbour . Any ideas on what i should bring for rods and tackle ?... lol ... Really tho , has any one on here ever made this trip ?

That could be one fun boat ride or an absolute nightmare pending weather and this time of year I'd bet on the latter... what size/type boat ?

Also be damn sure you know where you are going coming in thru the Westerns and Hope Island !! :stretcher:

Edited by irishfield

That could be one fun boat ride or an absolute nightmare pending weather and this time of year I'd bet on the latter... what size/type boat ?

Also be damn sure you know where you are going coming in thru the Westerns and Hope Island !! :stretcher:

How did i know you would be the first to reply .lol . Wayne its a 2003 47' Carver , 72 mile radar on board with full navagation systems with twin 8.1 crusaders -502's , 400 gallon fuel cell .

So not a 12 footer with a 9.9 then? :o

A month ago maybe a yes , for now and coming up shortly am glad its this one . The boats been delayed now since mid week in Rogers City due to weather , right now its parked behide two ocean frieghters that are waiting as well to make for it .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I'd say the first thing you should do is get online as soon as possible and get your boater's card. And I'm being serious.

Its been in the pocket for a while , i take boating rules very serious . Its no game when it comes to safety on the water and trust me the new boat owner and i have spent hours planning this plus adviceing him about the hasards that lie ahead in trying to pull this off at this time of year but money is at talk here as well if you know what i mean and i have always been in business to give the customer what they want .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I'm real serious about knowing where them rocks are as well... You can see these ones, or most of them... but you can't see the ones until it's way too late North of Hope Island.

I hear you Wayne , until i get up there i have no idea what course has been ploted in the navagator or of its full capabiltys , there is also going to be two others onboard with me .

Dose'nt mater whats onboard for navagation i know if the weather should turn for the bad , then you just have to squeeze your butt cheeks and pray you make it , this i am not comfortable with at all ,so heres hoping we chance it right and the 72mile radar stays on the money .If all go's well should make for good show and tell once we are docked .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Make sure you get a copy of the Small Craft Charts put out by the federal gov't. They show the boating channels and the water depths etc.

Thease things are built in and were updated with in the last two weeks , sonar is also part of the equpiment onboard this vessel .

I circled Christain island ealyer this fall Wayne and over to Midland in my cabin cruiser to get fimiliar with the waters , i'd like to bring it down between Hope and Christain rather then over the top of Hope ?

Hey, if you wanna try and shoe that thing between the South tip shoal of Hope and the North/East tip shoal of Christian.. have at'r ! Sure wouldn't be where I'd be taking her !

I'd be heading for that lighthouse I took a picture of and staying about 500 feet off to the West of it. Then heading for the light on the N/E tip of Hope.. but staying at least 1000 feet EAST of it when you get anywhere close to Hope. Then straight for Methodist Point (Awenda PPark) and then a left turn right down the middle of the gap between it and Giant's Tomb. Any other course, on anything but a glass calm day, and you're just asking for trouble.

Hey, if you wanna try and shoe that thing between the South tip shoal of Hope and the North/East tip shoal of Christian.. have at'r ! Sure wouldn't be where I'd be taking her !

I'd be heading for that lighthouse I took a picture of and staying about 500 feet off to the West of it. Then heading for the light on the N/E tip of Hope.. but staying at least 1000 feet EAST of it when you get anywhere close to Hope. Then straight for Methodist Point (Awenda PPark) and then a left turn right down the middle of the gap between it and Giant's Tomb. Any other course, on anything but a glass calm day, and you're just asking for trouble.

I'll carry with me every thing you mention as you seem to know what your talking about thats for sure and i agree , could be fun .. could be a nightmare . Thank you Wayne for the wise advice ........ keep a radio on , i might have to get you to talk me in .... lol .

I've only ran the cedar point to midland area.Your boat is a lot bigger than mine but the swells are massive with a good wind.A friend of mine has a boat similar in size to mine,and it was funny that in between swells we could not see each other.Only water.Good luck sir.

I suggest contacting Bayport Marina in Midland or another of the larger marinas in the area. I suspect they have more experience than most and can offer advice on all your variables. It sounds like a great trip but perhaps one that would be more enjoyable mid summer.

Good luck.

Hey Skipper

A 'LOT' will depend on weather conditions!!

But

If you get a good day with not much wind I would head due East out of Tobermory, then set a course for Giants Toomb.

Once you have Giants Toomb in sight head to the South tip keeping Hope and Beckwith to the starboard and well off Giants Toomb.

Round the South tip of Giants Toomb and Head East towards Beausoliel

Pick up the Markers on the West side of Beausoliel and that will take you into Midland.

OR

If you want a more interesting/scenic trip which is sheltered from the wind Head over to Parry Sound and pick up the small craft route at Rose Island or further south at Frying Pan(Stop at Henry's for some Fish and Chips) or further south yet at Odonnel Point, which is Twelve Mile Bay and follow that down to the top/North end of Beausoliel and from there pick up the markers to the west of Beausoliel and into Midland.

Have Fun and Play Safe

Rick

Edited by RickOnt