NF-Looking for a Live Trap

Miracon

Hi Guys! Looked on Kijiji with no luck. My best friend has a raccoon eating through her house and can't afford an exterminator. Not sure if anyone knows where I can find one cheap or rent one. But thought this would be a great place to check!

Thanks in advance! :D

I'll talk to my neighbour, he has a few traps, but I don't know how large they are. If not, then I might be able to grab one from the cottage, but that won't be for a few weeks.

Something you could use for a week or two.

Thanks Hud!

And Nick...that's super kind of you to offer! One day I'm hoping YOU will need something I can help with!! Haha! I'll keep you posted if she may still need it by then. I phoned the municipality but they don't do anything about private properties. And I phone the toll rental places but the few that do have them are out (must be the time of year! Haha!).

But then I phoned the SPCA and they gave great advice. They said to soak rags in ammonia and place them in a coffee tin with holes in the sides. They said raccoons hate the smell and will stay away. So she's getting the stuff tonight and setting it up right away.

The raccoon already ate a hole right through her garage door wall and she can see outside now. And at the moment she's going through a rough financial patch and her father has just become gravely ill so this is the last thing she needs! Haha! And she is the kind of person who would do anything for anyone so I hate to see her run of bad luck!

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

Edited by Miracon

I bought mine at TSC also. There is a store in Alliston if you need to buy one.

Raccoons are filthy animals, that left to do their thing, will create a real mess! Once they have a litter of Kits, look out. They will use the same spot as a latrine and it is full of bacteria and toxic stuff.

Bait the traps with oranges or pretty much anything, and they will come!

Good luck!

I have a catalogue for Tomahawk Live traps. they are in Wisconcin and the owner is my summer neighbour. call them at 800-272-8727 or order on the internet at www.livetrap.com

Greg, the owner tells me they are doing same day shipping. they show (at a quick glance) traps ;one is 36x10x12 for 85.39 ; pne is 321x10x12 for 64.73; another 42x12x12 for 100.28.

hope this helps. Gregs a great guy and will help you anyway he can

grt1 - Thanks. I'll send her the link so she can check it out!

ccmt - Hysterical! :P And they ARE cute! If they wouldn't eat your house, they would be a great pet! And knowing my friend, she would keep him!

MJL - Too funny! Why don't we just eat the same garbage they eat?! :lol:

Nick - Good to know! I haven't been there in years (not since I bought a hovabator to raise silkworms to feed my Bearded Dragons - but that's another story!).

I'd say I'm leaning towards keeping it as a pet Miracon! Raccoons are sorta cute...nah...I guess they aren't...LOL.

Just pokin fun at you for the reply on GBW's post LOL.

How is roasted raccoon anyways?? Maybe GBW's goose can come over and they can be friends :w00t:

ya bugger... :unsure:

I used to trap squirrels when they were getting into the attic. I bought a live trap from princess auto in hamilton for like 20 bucks, modified it, and it works great. A tiny tap on the trigger sets it off and no squirrels have gotten away. I dont think its big enough for a fully grown raccoon but I have caught a possum with it before. If your friend ends up trapping it, make sure to tell her to drive it really far away so it can't find its way back to her house.

I'll talk to my neighbour, he has a few traps, but I don't know how large they are. If not, then I might be able to grab one from the cottage, but that won't be for a few weeks.

Something you could use for a week or two.

Thanks again for your offer Nick! She tried a few things hoping they would work...but no luck! He's still eating her house!

But she got a trap today from a co-worker and we figured out how to load it! Just letting you know she found one! Fingers crossed she'll be taking a long drive with a companion one way tomorrow! :D

Good luck! Remember, once you have the animal in the trap, toss a blanked or something over the trap, so they can't see you. Makes it a little easier.

Thanks Nick! I'm just on the phone with her now. She missed him last night and heard him this morning. And there is more sawdust! Yikes! I've passed on your advice! :D

I'd say I'm leaning towards keeping it as a pet Miracon! Raccoons are sorta cute...nah...I guess they aren't...LOL.

Just pokin fun at you for the reply on GBW's post LOL.

How is roasted raccoon anyways?? Maybe GBW's goose can come over and they can be friends :w00t:

i guess she can name it Miracoon?....sorry thats my morning humor

:rofl2::rofl2: Too funny river!!! Love it!

Be very careful if you do decide to move a captured racoon...

legally, you are only allowed to move it no more then one KM for the site it was trapped at...

You can however, legally "dispose" of the animal, but only after documenting any and all damage the animal has caused.

That said, you can't legally have the raccon meet it's maker, in the city... it must be done in a rural location...

I don't make the rules, I simply pass them along!

HH

Be very careful if you do decide to move a captured racoon...

legally, you are only allowed to move it no more then one KM for the site it was trapped at...

You can however, legally "dispose" of the animal, but only after documenting any and all damage the animal has caused.

That said, you can't legally have the raccon meet it's maker, in the city... it must be done in a rural location...

I don't make the rules, I simply pass them along!

HH

Thanks HH! Good to know! She had planned to drive it a distance and set it free. We didn't know she can't. :blush:

She would rather not hurt it but as she listens to it destroy her home, she sure rethinks that! She lives alone and works 2 jobs so hasn't had much time to look into this. She just knows she has to get rid of it right away as the damage is becoming more extensive by the day. Every morning she hears him inside chewing.

She's made eye contact with it and it isn't very big but quite cocky! Haha!

I like the fact you can't drive it more then a km away but she would have to to destroy it! Haha! I know she won't actually have it in her to hurt it if she can see it. So a bit of a dilemma now! Haha!

Thanks HH! Good to know! She had planned to drive it a distance and set it free. We didn't know she can't. :blush:

She would rather not hurt it but as she listens to it destroy her home, she sure rethinks that! She lives alone and works 2 jobs so hasn't had much time to look into this. She just knows she has to get rid of it right away as the damage is becoming more extensive by the day. Every morning she hears him inside chewing.

She's made eye contact with it and it isn't very big but quite cocky! Haha!

I like the fact you can't drive it more then a km away but she would have to to destroy it! Haha! I know she won't actually have it in her to hurt it if she can see it. So a bit of a dilemma now! Haha!

Tell her to get some Cayene pepper and spread it all around the area the racoon is messing with... that and moth balls should discourage it... but know that as the cold weather is approaching, that coon is lookin for a place to call home for the winter!

HH

Rocoons fall under the jurisdiction of the MNR. Contact them to get all the info you need.

Edited by Headhunter