Hit a Deer.....

Gerritt

A word to the wise. When my daughter took her driver's ed course, her instructor told her if you ever hit a deer or any other large animal, you should always say that the it jumped or ran into the path of your car. Apparently some cops have been known to "split hairs" and if you say that you hit it, they say you therefore did not have proper care and control of your vehicle and they will try making a careless driving case out of it. Then also if he does that it could make any insurance claim for damage to your vehicle very difficult. Even if the case gets tossed, you've still had a hell of a headache to clear yourself.

You think thats funny?

How bout this.

The other day, a guy I work with walks into the office carrying a gold plated 45 cal lever action rifle...not in a case.

He walks through the main office and into my office and holds it up and says...hey...like my new gun.

I look up and say...wow, that ever pretty.

A couple days later I have my 270 bolt on my desk messing with setting up the scope with one of the supervisors.

This is pretty standard stuff around here.

Try doing that downtown big smoke :o

Well, here in "The Big Smoke", if one of my employees brought their gun to work, the first thing I would ask them is, is your gun going to make us any money? Because really, work is about making money. That may be considered a bad attitude north of 17, but in reality, that's why we work.

And if one of my employess brought in their;

-fishing rod

-model car/airplane

-guitar

etc..., I would have the same attitude.

That my friend is the opinion of a "Big Smoke" dweller.

HH

Well, here in "The Big Smoke", if one of my employees brought their gun to work, the first thing I would ask them is, is your gun going to make us any money? Because really, work is about making money. That may be considered a bad attitude north of 17, but in reality, that's why we work.

And if one of my employess brought in their;

-fishing rod

-model car/airplane

-guitar

etc..., I would have the same attitude.

That my friend is the opinion of a "Big Smoke" dweller.

HH

Yep..gotta make money to pay the McGuinty taxes and power bills

Yup and it's gonna get worse... just found out that Uncle Dalty has already signed off on charging us HST on smart meters. Yes, you read that right, he has approved an HST charge on using smart meters, which, btw, they insisted on installing at our homes...

HH

As always...lots of ideas and assumptions....but Fisherman is correct. MNR state that if you want to keep the black bear, woodland caribou, white-tailed deer, American elk, or moose, YOU SHALL report the acquisition immediately to the nearest MNR office. This can be as simple as calling the MNR and letting them know the details and where the animal is being kept. If a CO wants to come and inspect it, they might and you are then covered. If you don't want the deer and it is dead and not suffering, you can just leave it in the ditch. Usually someone else will come along shortly and claim it...or as stated a few times...Call another OFNer.

As for Police. They cannot give you permission to have the deer, etc... even though they sometimes think they can. Always call the MNR and get the permit of reporting! You might need the Police though for the accident report if damage was done!

Cheers!

Not that hard to skin a deer. We usually hang it head pointed up. cut around the neck through the skin, then down the center of the neck all the way to where you cut the abdomin to get the gut pile out. (Oh yah do that first). cut the butt hole out, and tie it in a knot then pull it out from inside. Try not to puncture any of the organs.

Then do the same as the neck for each of the legs, and start pulling the hide off. once its pulled off, you can clean up the meat and get all the hair off.

Now just follow the bones and cut the pieces of meat off.

There is a tenderloin inside the rib cage by the spine but its usually real small in a doe. Looks similare to if you go to a grocery store and buy a pork tenderloin.

The back strap is the nicest cut in a deer for steaks. Its allong the spine on the ooutside.

The thighs make good roasts, and the rest of the meat we tend to use for either ground venicine, peperettes or sausage.

Glad to hear you were not hurt, I posted a while ago about my incounter with a 10 point buck . my poor honda civic was written off ,deer came into front seat via windshield ,I was luckie enough to escape with a few stiches in my leg (antler went thu calf in and out )But you know that deer tasted beter than any I have eaten , opp gave me deer ,the officer who took my to hosiptal delivered it to my house skined and gutted the next day . Like I said glad to see you were not injured .

Well last night I hit a doe... No damage to my truck (thank god for Fords metal bumper) other them a bit of fur... nothing wrong to the truck..

it was a decent sized doe, feeding @ an apple tree that is right beside the road wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif (Low ditch where the apples collect when they fall..)Hence the deer collect here...

What are the rules when it comes to this? I do not have a hunting license.. but I do enjoy venison.

I was unsure what to do.. and had no room in the back of my pickup, given the hard one piece tonneau cover, and it being rammed with tools.

I did stop, inspected my truck, and made sure the doe was not suffering.

Nor do I know how to properly dress a deer...

So I was at a loss....

This morning the deer was gone... I assume someone has filled their freezer...

What should I have done in this case? knowing that I love a good feed of venison... would the meat even of been any good?

Thanks,

G.

I sell Fords!!

No F.A.C. required!

LOL

Edited by docknocker