fishfinder/gps suggestions

Rizzo

My fishing partner has been bugging me to pick up a more advance fishfinder, something with a gps so we can map out our spots (instead of trying to find them by looking at shore landmarks!). Having said that, I am NOT a guy who is good with technology. I use a map when driving, I don't know how to text, and I don't download this from that site and put it on this chip and stick it in that hole...In other words, something user friendly, where I can mark off spots I want, and also see what's coming up (I was with a friend once, and he had a map on his finder, he could see that we were about to come up on a shallow shelf). I think his finder had a puck or thru-hull transducer. Are these compatible with an aluminum hull or only fibreglass? He may be willing to sell it to me. If not, is it realistic to get a decent unit for $500? Any recommendations?

Only a personal preference, but I like to use a seperate dedicated GPS, rather than a split screen with sonar/GPS combo.

If your gonna get a smaller screen unit like a 5" and then split that, you're gonna be looking at very small images.

Just my dime anyways Roger.

If you get the seperate GPS with the appropriate chip for where your fishing, it'll show the contours and drop-offs very clearly. You can also track and save your movements plus leave markers on your screen to come back to an exact spot if you want.

A perfect example...couple years back we were trolling a deeper weedflat on Stoney and I was explaining to my daughter how the GPS works. It showed a 7' hump off to the right and I told Sheri how a musky will often sit on top of them.

We changed course, went over the hump and sure enuff, we hooked a musky.

Their an excellent tool for sure.

Edited by lew

there isnt much difference in price between a combo and a dedicated gps\ff....i priced out a few at radio world when i was ready to buy...i ended up buying the lowrance hds5...and yes its a small screen when its split....but it works great!!

Lew is correct, a big screen would be nice, but I can still see my 5" split screen lowrance just fine, and I can't justify the $$$$ for a big screen.

Check Cabelas as they often have older Eagle/Lowrance units on sale - go for color though.

I have a lowrance elite 5 and it is a good unit - marks fish very well and the mapping is easy to use with a transom mount transducer.

You can use it for ice fishing (marks teeny jigs and real-time bites just as well as my friends flasher) too if you get an ice transducer, cheap plastic tool box, mounting bracket and small battery = about $120

You will catch more fish with a gps/sonar unit - no doubt.

Landry

ya I was really jealous in my buddies boat. He knew exactly where the humps were (like Lew said, you know there's one off to the side). i know lots of humps on the lakes I fish by trial and error, sometimes its just hard to find them back! I assume this will prevent you from running into unmarked shoals as well!

ya I was really jealous in my buddies boat. He knew exactly where the humps were (like Lew said, you know there's one off to the side). i know lots of humps on the lakes I fish by trial and error, sometimes its just hard to find them back! I assume this will prevent you from running into unmarked shoals as well!

Yes with a map chip it show quite a few hazards, however not all.

Any you find you can mark a waypoint and choose and appropriate icon to indicate its a hazard vs. a hump or structure etc.

Go with the all-in-one for sure. HDS-7 would be my choice if you are planning to split screens quite a bit. The 8 is really sweet but we're talking big $ you can get a 5 and a 7 for around the same price.

if you do end up a GPS and a sonar don't get a low $ GPS as I do NOT like mine. eTrek for $150 or more :dunno: and it's garbage on the water. :wallbash: it's great for the kids geocaching but bad on the lakes.

*edit to add* All I know about the all-in-one units is the HDS5 & 7 are they are the most common out there based on feedback.

Edited by GBW

I think his finder had a puck or thru-hull transducer. Are these compatible with an aluminum hull or only fibreglass? He may be willing to sell it to me. If not, is it realistic to get a decent unit for $500? Any recommendations?

You'll need a transom mount "skimmer" transducer for your boat. Through-hulls are for Glass.

An HDS-5 will be around that range but you would want the hotmaps chip to give you great detail of your fishing areas. :Gonefishing:

I love my Lawrence give Josolyn a call at angling outfitters he will hook you up with great prices I know he sold two of my buddies the HDS 5 for the same price as the USA he also had some used units that are still in great working order so you might get a higher end unit that is used for less then you will pay for a new one. He sells used cards for what he takes then in at. I got mine for $50 or so a few years ago.

have a look at the lowrance elite5 combo. it'll be well under 500 with a great lakes chip. the hds5 is considerably more but it does give you the option of networking multiple units together. i dont need the networking and am extremely happy with the elite5.

have a look at the lowrance elite5 combo. it'll be well under 500 with a great lakes chip. the hds5 is considerably more but it does give you the option of networking multiple units together. i dont need the networking and am extremely happy with the elite5.

The elite 5 combo is $550...

???????

I have a hummingbird 597 ci hd di... All in once I had it home was 700

600 if you don't want the down imaging...

And I love it... Easy mounting bracket that pivots and tilts...

Color screen makes viewing a dream...

This model has lots of options and features for the price... I would defiantly recommend this unit...

Rizzo, as far as the make goes, they all have good and bad things going for them.There is a bit of a learning curve using them. May i suggest you buy the same make, not necesarrily the same model,as your buddy has, that way he can help you understand how to use it properly.Just my 25cents worth.

Raf your right that is the one I was thinking about I had the HDS on my mind as I would like one some day but by then they will be out of date LOL.

Instead of a larger screen GPS/Sonar you should consider 2 5" screens...for example....2 Lowrance HDS 5 units networked together or side by side....this way "if" one breaks you have another unit until it's fixed...also you can keep one on GPS and one on Sonar giving almost as much as a HDS 10 unit for screen size at about half the cost.

my lowrance elite gold was under 500 with the great lakes/trent severn chip at the fishing show last winter. got it from radio world.

you can buy at toy (hummingbird) or you can buy a tool (lowrance) ;) that's my 0.02 on the leading brands.

Edited by Raf

Hey Roger, come down and visit Rob (scugog)and I and we'll do some LSC fishing. Rob will give you a tutorial while I catch some 'skis and then you can drop into Angling Outfitters on the way home.

For sure.

The elite series is nice, but depends what you want. I think its worth the extra $ for the HDS.

The screen resolution isn't as good on the Elite, and if you're splitting screens it might not give you much detail. I haven't actually seen it in split screen so hard to say.

HDS:

Better screen resolution

Ethernet & NMEA 2000 capability (waypoint sharing between units, read engine parameters etc)

Network sonar (can view bow sonar on console unit for example)

Sirius radio and Sonic hub capable

* Need extra chip (Hotmaps Canada) - this will also give you high detail of Kawarthas etc.

Built in base maps of Great Lakes and Lake St. Clair (not as much detail but has depths I believe)

Structure Scan/Downscan Capable with extra module

Broadband sonar (theoretically better sonar readings)

Two year warranty

Elite:

Better price

Downscan capable (If Elite 5 DSI Gold model)

* Less screen resolution

Mapping included for Great lakes and Trent Severn (not sure what detail)

* One year warranty

Edited by scugog