which center pin?

mike rousseau

raven matrix special edition... $189+

http://www.fishusa.com/Raven-Matrix-Special-Edition-Center-Pin-Reels_p.html

okuma sheffield... $189+

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Sheffield-S-1002-Center-Pin-Reel_p.html

okuma aventa...$149

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Aventa-VT-1002-Center-Pin-Reel_p.html

i know you get what you pay for... but i dont live near tribs and will only use the reel a couple times a year...

im planning to pair it with my st.criox river rod... 10.5 foot light acton spinning rod...

thnx

Perhaps you should spend a few bucks more and go with the Islander? It's a float reel that will likely never fail you.

It's 400 dollars!!!!!!

That's not a few more dollars... That's double what I'm questioning to spend...

Like I said... I'm only gunna use this reel ... Max... 6 times a year...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Mike,

I started on an aventa reel and there was nothing wrong with it. Don't let the gear snobs tell you otherwise. I used it for 2 seasons problem free as long as i kept it clean and free of sand.

The okuma rods however were complete trash but that's a totally different thread.

It's 400 dollars!!!!!!

Used Islanders usually go $200-$250...Excellent bang for the buck...Been running mine since the late 90’s and prior to that had the Pacific Steelheader. Hard to go wrong with Islander. Customer service is also amazing. Beyond steelhead, I use mine for carp when they're in the shallows.

It's 400 dollars!!!!!!

As stated earlier, they generally go for around $200-250 used.

I didn't know you were looking for a brand new reel.

If you're only going to head out a max of 6 times per year for steelhead, maybe just stick with a regular spinning reel and save the money?

If you know you're not going to get into it, I don't think it's worth it to buy all this extra gear.

Out of the 3 you mentioned the Sheffield for sure.

But didn't you say you had an in with Raven?

If you do imo the Raven Vectra SST is even better.

I agree with trying to pick up a used Islander for 2-250 though. They're the Honda Civics of float reels. Never let you down.

If you don't have an in with Raven drop this guy an email. He's selling brand new Raven reels for 200 bucks as well as a bunch of other stuff:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-Float-Fishing-gear-sale-just-in-time-W0QQAdIdZ313894930

If you're lucky he'll ship the stuff for you.

i started with an aventa, now have an islander and a kingpin

i still use the aventa on my small stream rod, spins as good as the islander....think i upgraded the bearings for 40 bucks in woodstock way back when

buy the aventa and use your savings on floats and quality shot

Out of the 3 you mentioned the Sheffield for sure.

But didn't you say you had an in with Raven?

If you do imo the Raven Vectra SST is even better.

I agree with trying to pick up a used Islander for 2-250 though. They're the Honda Civics of float reels. Never let you down.

If you don't have an in with Raven drop this guy an email. He's selling brand new Raven reels for 200 bucks as well as a bunch of other stuff:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-Float-Fishing-gear-sale-just-in-time-W0QQAdIdZ313894930

If you're lucky he'll ship the stuff for you.

I agree with Solopaddler. I've used an original SST for nearly 10 years and it has always been steady and smooth. The SST3's are a gorgeous reel, too, and extremely light. Amazing bang for the buck if that's what the seller on Kijiji has. For $11 more...

p.-

The more I'm out,the more I hear about the aventa probably best bang for the buck.Still a quality reel from what I've read.

If your lucky enough to know a good guy with good quality used reels,you will find a deal to be had. I bought my first Matrix new.$180 tax in. Then I found 2 other used reels for a great deal.Matrix (Copper) and a SST2.Saved 50%, and they are like new. :clapping:

Everytime I find an Islander,thier snatched up :wallbash: .One day I,ll have one.

You should look for a used reel. There are so many options... Personally if you can find one, a tournament drifter or G loomis float reel shouldn't be over looked. They are like tanks built to last! Sometimes you can find them for as low as $100. I would take one hands down over any raven or okuma but thats just me, I'm old school wink.gif

You should also consider a baitcaster on a steelhead baitcast rod. BC style. A quality baitcaster will unspool as freely as a centrepin.

Don't have to have a centrepin to be a serious steelheader ;)

Baitcasters are great if you are tossing heavier rigs, but with a small float and barely any shot, it's a challenge.

hey, I would personally start low end to get the feel for pinning if you havnt already done so - okuma aventa VT1002 is a great start, I pin carp and have landed fish up to 28 pounds on this reel! Pinning is great and can be killer in the right hands! good luck mate

hey, I would personally start low end to get the feel for pinning if you havnt already done so - okuma aventa VT1002 is a great start, I pin carp and have landed fish up to 28 pounds on this reel! Pinning is great and can be killer in the right hands! good luck mate

I've got a stanton right now which has been a workhorse and hasn't given me an issues. If I were to ever replace this reel, I'd go with an islander....

If your lucky enough to know a good guy with good quality used reels,you will find a deal to be had. I bought my first Matrix new.$180 tax in. Then I found 2 other used reels for a great deal.Matrix (Copper) and a SST2.Saved 50%, and they are like new. :clapping:

Everytime I find an Islander,thier snatched up :wallbash: .One day I,ll have one.

I hope those reels get you into some fish Brian. They are great. As for the OP, I would stay away from Okuma altogether. They are at the very low end of the spectrum. Islander and Raven SST are the way to go. If you look hard enough, you can probably get a new Islander for 300 and change.

Best of luck.

Edited by justin elia