Scouted a river last night

MichaelAngelo

Last night we went for a drive around looking for salmon in the river near bridges, didn't find any. We drove to the mouth of the river and some kind of fish were making splashes, not sure if they were salmon.

There were about 4 guys fishing the mouth. We fished for about an hour and a half till 1:30am then called it a night. No bites for anyone.

If you had found a fresh run of browns and bows would you have posted that?

...I don't understand why posts like this continue to happen, or why they are allowed to continue. Posting names of small rivers (even lakes) on a forum with as many members as this is a brutal idea

...I don't understand why posts like this continue to happen, or why they are allowed to continue. Posting names of small rivers (even lakes) on a forum with as many members as this is a brutal idea

Agreed and I'm going to start reining it in, as per the forum rules.

"Please do not post VERY SPECIFIC information on fishing spots, ie pinpoint locations and maps. It is our belief that sharing this type of knowledge to the general public is not at all good for the resource itself. When communicating info on spots, please keep it to email or a PM. "

Last night we went for a drive around looking for salmon in the river near bridges, didn't find any. We drove to the mouth of the river and some kind of fish were making splashes, not sure if they were salmon.

There were about 4 guys fishing the mouth. We fished for about an hour and a half till 1:30am then called it a night. No bites for anyone.

Why bother asking the OP if they would have posted something about browns and bows, when they never even mentioned the river they fished on that night? Can we no longer post, "hey, I went fishing last night for a couple hours and got into a big run of bows and browns"? The OP didn't even make mention or hint to any possible water body.

So, instead of commending the OP for not naming the river they were speaking of their thread gets flamed because of other peoples posts, from the past.

It's posts like this that make other users, both new and old, rethink sharing their experiences on the water. Do I enjoy sharing my stories with others? Hell yea, but I don't need harassment like the OP received.

THEY NEVER MENTIONED A RIVER OR WATER BODY SO GET OVER IT!

(Disclaimer: If the OP's original post was edited to remove any specifics, it is not alluded to in the thread)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Once again I love livingin northern Ontario!

plenty of people in the north watching for real time updates on rivers as well.

river names don't really add anything to the report for MOST of us, so don't bother including them. i'm more interested in creative photos and stories then i am where you caught it. we all have our own spots, let's keep it that way!

river names don't really add anything to the report for MOST of us, so don't bother including them. i'm more interested in creative photos and stories then i am where you caught it. we all have our own spots, let's keep it that way!

Heh.....When rivers get named on open forums, it tells me exactly where NOT to go!!! :whistling:

THEY NEVER MENTIONED A RIVER OR WATER BODY SO GET OVER IT!

(Disclaimer: If the OP's original post was edited to remove any specifics, it is not alluded to in the thread)

The OP did mention the river and the exact locations on it!

Then I edited it, I thought my post would have led everyone to realize that!

Even the best of rivers around here are not over fished. let alone most guys around here could care less about bows and ho's. I've fished the southern ontario rivers and I count my lucky stars.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i still see no need in ever mentioning anything that might give away your location. that is if you want to keep them less pressured. :whistling:

p.s. i had someone this spring from this forum creep on a spot because of one of my reports...

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i still see no need in ever mentioning anything that might give away your location. that is if you want to keep them less pressured. whistling.gif

p.s. i had someone this spring from this forum creep on a spot because of one of my reports...

Your right there is no need for river name dropping. plus most of the rivers on the north shore you can tell just by the stain of the water. lots of good spots and good hikes out there best background for fishing pics is bush.

Hi guys first off I want to appologize for breaching forum rules. But don't people name water bodies every time they post a fishing report?

I had a good time today, caught my first salmon. I've come a long way since I joined this forum, first pike, first salmon. So I also want to extent my thanks to those who've helped me learn.

Hi guys first off I want to appologize for breaching forum rules. But don't people name water bodies every time they post a fishing report?

Yes, I *usually* post the name of the water body when I post, especially if it's a common lake that others in my area are keenly aware of. For example, you'll see posts of mine from Anima-Nipissing and the Montreal River, two large bodies of water that are certainly no secret. And smaller lakes such as Sharpe and Gillies...

Why? Because I interpreted the forum rules as "don't post VERY SPECIFIC spots" and not "don't post names of water bodies." But maybe that's just me, because that's what the rules actually say...

Come on guys its only Sept . lots of time in Nov to fight , Great run of salmon in grenadier pond all you newbes head down to high park , lol ...

cant wait for the "Do salmon run in grenadier pond post " Dudes where do you think all those atlantic go

Edited by capt bruce

Come on guys its only Sept . lots of time in Nov to fight , Great run of salmon in grenadier pond all you newbes head down to high park , lol ...

cant wait for the "Do salmon run in grenadier pond post " Dudes where do you think all those atlantic go

i actually have caught atlantic salmon there, here is a picture:

dscf8494.jpg

I had a good time today, caught my first salmon. I've come a long way since I joined this forum, first pike, first salmon. So I also want to extent my thanks to those who've helped me learn.

Steelheaders can be touchy and defensive - I no longer river fish and used to love it but I got sick of all the selfishness, bravado and battling for space and supremacy.

I love steelies but I love solitude and relaxation/cooperation in boat fishing more.

People need to relax - it's a salmon run - who really cares!!!!!!!

Landry

Steelheaders can be touchy and defensive - I no longer river fish and used to love it but I got sick of all the selfishness, bravado and battling for space and supremacy.

I love steelies but I love solitude and relaxation/cooperation in boat fishing more.

People need to relax - it's a salmon run - who really cares!!!!!!!

Landry

Yes but... try telling that to somebody who's only ever caught meesly panfish and baby bass all their life XD. When I was a kid I saw the salmon running and it was a great moment that cemented the fishing hobby for me.

edit: Oh and unless I drive 2 hours up north for pike/musky, there really isn't any other option for 20 pound fish from shore =(... is there?

edit2: unless I pull a Jeremy Wade teeheeee cool.gif

Edited by MichaelAngelo

Yes but... try telling that to somebody who's only ever caught meesly panfish and baby bass all their life XD. When I was a kid I saw the salmon running and it was a great moment that cemented the fishing hobby for me.

edit: Oh and unless I drive 2 hours up north for pike/musky, there really isn't any other option for 20 pound fish from shore =(... is there?

edit2: unless I pull a Jeremy Wade teeheeee cool.gif

Spring pike....lots of guys do well in the shadow of downtown TO.

Could always take up Carp fishing....20 lbs is a small one....

I would say though, if you want to catch a salmon, stop driving around and focus on one spot. All you'll end up doing is beating your confidence to a pulp, while hearing about how people were catching at a spot you skipped out on, or got skunked at the night before. Pick one pier, hit it from 11pm-3am, and keep a glowing spoon in the water for as long as you can. Go for a couple weeks and you'll learn a few things.