removable trolling plate

whitbyboatguy

Personally, I don't like trolling plates. A lot of people DO like them but I don't. I don't like drilling holes in my motors. If most of your fishing time is spent trolling and you only need to slow down by 1 or 2 mph, consider changing props instead. For example if you can get down to 3mph on your 60hp with a 3 blade prop, a four blade will drop you to around 2.2 and a 5 blade down to 1.5. You'll improve your hole shot but sacrifice a mile or two per hour at top end. You'll also be getting a spare prop out of the deal. Just something to think about.

Trolling plates are trouble....the one that lock down can cause problems if you forget to raise it....the spring loaded ones that raise by themselves while going fast are in the way while trying to use reverse...

Muskie Mike had it right......a wind sock or 5 gallon bucket...if you use a bucket drill holes in the bucket and attach a rope as the handle will rip off....Wind sock is best IMHO..

Good Luck with your choice,

Bob

Trolling plates are trouble....the one that lock down can cause problems if you forget to raise it....the spring loaded ones that raise by themselves while going fast are in the way while trying to use reverse...

Muskie Mike had it right......a wind sock or 5 gallon bucket...if you use a bucket drill holes in the bucket and attach a rope as the handle will rip off....Wind sock is best IMHO..

Good Luck with your choice,

Bob

It doesn't get much simpler then this.. Never had an issue with it, boat trolls down to nothing when it's down. So much easier then using a bucket or drift sock. One pull of the cord while in reverse it's down, one pull of the cord while going forward and it locks in place out of the way.

IMG_0911.jpg

Edited by BillM

My last boat had a 90 HP Merc and I used the same troll plate that Bill shows in his picture above.

It worked great and never any worries or hassles of bucket or drift sock ropes getting tangled with fishing gear in the dark.

Slowed my boat down to almost stopped.

OK. I am going to give one of those spring ones a shot but will put a string on it so I can manually keep it up for reverse (save the laughter : ):rofl2:). A happy troller would be nicer but I wont be able to get one locally quickly or cheaply. have access to $60 spring loaded one.

Drilling 4 mounting holes in the motor :blink: and it will be over. Like tearing off a band-aid drilling the holes will hurt when I do it.

I have to drill holes for a plate right?

Edited by whitbyboatguy