Musky report

Rizzo

I know way to many people who will not change there speed

ya I am the exact opposite. I'm never going the same speed. I'll try many speeds in the course of a day, plus when you throw in a real sharp zigzag you've got one guy going slow and one guy going fast...see who's they want!

plus when you throw in a real sharp zigzag you've got one guy going slow and one guy going fast...see who's they want!

That's always been a favorite tactic of mine too Roger, and one that's produced more that a few very nice fish.

From my own experience though, I've always found the outside rod, the one that speeds up, to be the one that catches the most. Sorta like a fish following a bait but won't commit until you go into the figure 8

You see any difference on which one grabs the most fish ??

I'm assuming a Grandma is another fish being used as bait? Total Newbie question but trying to keep up! Haha!

It's actually a flatsided bait used for musky fishing, infact an excellent bait with a wide, slow side to side wobble.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/navigate.php/nav_id/45

Edited by lew

same as you Lew, its the lure that has sped up that gets nailed. I can't recall the slow one ever getting hit. The good news is, the slow one is about to become the fast one and thats when they nail it! With the increased speed of the boat the hookset is a no brainer

to be more precise the GPS my buddy had for the day was telling us 9.2 mph. I used to think 5 or 6 was fast until this past summer. We were at Little lake in Peterborough trolling some heavy spinnerbaits at a good speed when we came up on some weeds. As a bit of a joke to my partner (who already thought I trolled too fast)I put the hammer down, got the boat up on a plane and we watched our spinnerbaits skip across the surface to get away from the weeds...well don't you know it...a 39 inch musky nails this guys spinnerbait as it jumps across the surface, blades weren't even remotely submerged!

Hey Rizzo, whenever someone does a report of big muskies from the Kawarthas i remember as much as possible. Like Meely catching 50 inch fish on jointed Believers a few summers ago on Pigeon.

The way you describe trolling spinnerbaits reminds me of an article i read 15+ years ago about some dude trolling big spinnerbaits on the Ottawa R. He would go fast, slow down and zig-zag all around over bumps topping off at 15 ft. He made a living guiding people to big muskies using this technique.

By the miracle of modern technology i was able to find that article on the internet.

Like most anglers he stretches the truth (and fish size) but this is a good article saying exactly what you are.

http://www.gordellis.com/muskie/content/muskie-articles/article/muskie-master-bill-craig

I will try this method in future...

Thanks for the article Eric, some good reading there. Don't hear much about Craig these days but his name used to pop up quite a bit a few years ago

I sat in on one of his seminars several years ago at the Spring Fishing Show and found it to be very interesting.

He's definetely right about trolling big spinnerbaits over top of the weeds though as they sure do catch some nice fish.

It's actually a flatsided bait used for musky fishing, infact an excellent bait with a wide, slow side to side wobble.

http://www.muskyshop...e.php/nav_id/45

Thanks lew! I guess I thought it was a real fish by the description of it jumping out of the water! Which anything will do being dragged behind a moving boat! Duh! :rolleyes:

Much appreciated! :)

Edited by Miracon

Thanks lew! I guess I thought it was a real fish by the description of it jumping out of the water! Which anything will do being dragged behind a moving boat! Duh! :rolleyes:

Much appreciated! :)

Your more than welcome Miracon, asking questions is how we all learn stuff.

I thought I trolled fast with my believers at 6-7 mph

i can't get believers to swim anywhere near the speed I want to be going so I use them only in the fall when I slow things down. They have a great side to side wobble but for big speed I have to go with the storm baits, much more of a tight wiggle. Super shadraps are pretty good too for speed but they are smaller and still can't keep up with Storm when the boat is up on plane and people are laughing and pointing

By the miracle of modern technology i was able to find that article on the internet.

Like most anglers he stretches the truth (and fish size) but this is a good article saying exactly what you are.

thanks for the link, haven't had a chance to read it yet but I'll give it a look later

i can't get believers to swim anywhere near the speed I want to be going so I use them only in the fall when I slow things down. They have a great side to side wobble but for big speed I have to go with the storm baits, much more of a tight wiggle. Super shadraps are pretty good too for speed but they are smaller and still can't keep up with Storm when the boat is up on plane and people are laughing and pointing

I use the 10' jointed on the deep ring, rod tip has to be up. Sometimes they do surface but I just give them a few jerks to get them down again. I am going by the spd on my GPS so it may not be 100% accurate.