Fishing current, easy in a river but what about a lake!

irishfield

I've only seen this twice in 20 years... so thought I'd better photograph it today. Pretty easy to read current in a river, but on something as large as Georgian Bay.. not so easy. I got out for my first flight of the year today and man did I need that enjoyment. Anyhow...if anyone wonders what has salmon holding up in a specific spot every year before they run the local rivers... it's current and the food it brings for free.

This is water between 15 and 30 Fathoms deep (90 to 180 FOW). First it spins counter clock wise, straightens out to pass the island and then it spins counter clock wise again! (or is that clockwise.. I'm assuming a direction of flow) A neat thing to see for sure... looks like pools in the Niagara, but in slow motion! (Either that or some yahoo was driving in circles before I got out there! :D )

If you know where this is fine and lets leave it at that..... if not well it's a good salmon spot with long rigger cables. B)

current1.jpg

current2.jpg

current3.jpg

current4.jpg

current5.jpg

current6.jpg

And for bonus points.... someone tell me where this lighthouse is :dunno::D

lighthouse1.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Fantastic- glad to hear you got out for a quick flight Wayne - been a long hard year for ya. You earned them wings today

To answer the question on the light house --

Not sure, but it looks like a great place to be fishin today! Wish I was there

If I hadn't had the younger daughter with me at that point (I texted her.. dropped in and landed, picked her up and blasted back off without shutting down).. I think I would have landed out there, then broke out the survival rod and tackle in the back of the plane!

Edited by irishfield

Excellent pics Wayneclapping.gif What causes current like that? We dont think of the Great lakes and Georgian bay as a river, but i guess being part of the St Lawerence system, they really are.

Hell we get tides in the sound Paul, some days as much as 2 feet. Some from moon pull, mainly from wind push. No wind today.. so I can only summize that it's the NUMEROUS rivers flowing into GBay and all that water has to get around structure causing the "pools".

Great shots irishfield. Very interesting looking water. Glad you got out for a trip. I saw your plane last year when i was in Temagami at what i assume is your cottage around this time last year. Shes a beaut.

Thanks.. that would be correct, about 4 islands out from town.. I built her with me own two hands between 1993 and 1995. The floats in 2004.

It certainly is... would have been a lonely miserable place living in the house that use to sit on that cement foundation!

No kidding! It's no wonder that lots of stories about mysterious murders surround so many of Ontario's lighthouses. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..."