Essa twnship lic

misfish

Been talking to a fellow member here about river fishing area along the notty. I was asked if I had a lic for that an area. I have a lic to fish. :canadian:

Heres where I get testy.

The twnship of Essa wants to have a tag to sell ,go right ahead.I know they have it. To those that buy it,good on ya.Most buy for the derby they have,part of the cost of the ticket. I myself say NO THANK YOU.

I pay to fish already. They say it,s for conservation.Good for them. I to pay for a CONSERVATION lic. Were the same eh.NO :dunno:

So,I fish a river that is catch and release from Angus to Aliston. I catch,I release.Done my part.To add,I left no trash or distruction behind me.

Oh there is the salmon thats a catch and keep. Well,let me just clear that for them aswell. Fish on,fight,great time,RELEASE.

There again,another release, good time, and I already paid for that through the MNR.

Im still waiting for the grumpy ole man that tries to tell you to get out of the river,that he thinks he owns.But the word on the river is,he knows he dosent own the river bottom. :thumbsup_anim:

Boy am I glad I got back to the river fishing. I miss it.LOL

so and so's

I had natives once tell me I had to buy a license to fish......after a few pleasant words (:sarcasm: ) from me they left......

I am starting to think more and more towns are going to pass bylaws restricting anglers and selling town licenses to fish from any shore in their town

Edited by Terry

I am starting to think more and more towns are going to pass bylaws restricting anglers and selling town licenses to fish from any shore in their town

You start thinking like that my friend,and you,ll be selling your rods and reels and tackle,just like the gun owners did when they thought the same.

In order to fish the 4 "fishing parks" in Essa, you require the pass and it is enforced via by-law officers.

http://www.essatownship.on.ca/EconomicDevelopment/FishingAccessPasses/index.htm

Apart allowing one to fish in the Salmon derby, this pass is nothing more than a cash grab from a township that has little regard for the conservation of the Nottwasaga River. Development near the river in Angus is going full steam ahead and this township's own mayor recently attmpted to remove the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority's "teeth" by filing a motion to dissolve it because the NVCA stood in the way of the development of properties on the Notty floodplain, properties that he and/or his family owns. Thankfully, the motion was withdrawn.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2096905&archive=true

http://www.madhunt.com/guergis-forwa-nvca-20090928.htm

Needless to say, I'll never purchase this pass.

Edited by wallacio

In order to fish the 4 "fishing parks" in Essa, you require the pass and it is enforced via by-law officers.

http://www.essatownship.on.ca/EconomicDevelopment/FishingAccessPasses/index.htm

Apart allowing one to fish in the Salmon derby, this pass is nothing more than a cash grab from a township that has little regard for the conservation of the Nottwasaga River. Development near the river in Angus is going full steam ahead and this township's own mayor recently attmpted to remove the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority's "teeth" by filing a motion to dissolve it because the NVCA stood in the way of the development of properties on the Notty floodplain, properties that he and/or his family owns. Thankfully, the motion was withdrawn.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2096905&archive=true'>http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2096905&archive=true

Needless to say, I'll never purchase this pass.

I find nothing I read about fishing here. Thanks for the links.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2096905&archive=true

And if your on private property,you got no worries.

To be eligible to fish in the Township of Essa Fishing Parks (Essa Centennial Park, Angus Community Park, Nottawasaga Fishing Park & Don Ross Park),

This is the joke,,,,,,,,you are required along with a Fishing License to purchase a Fishing Access Pass.

Edited by Misfish

And this is why the court case was thrown out in Cobourg it would set precedent so towns could not discriminate against anglers. Don't see canoeist or other water users paying these fees someone with deep pockets really needs to stand up and fight this crap because we are losing our federally protected rights. Not just fighting the by-law but suing to have these laws removed.

And this is why the court case was thrown out in Cobourg it would set precedent so towns could not discriminate against anglers. Don't see canoeist or other water users paying these fees someone with deep pockets really needs to stand up and fight this crap because we are losing our federally protected rights. Not just fighting the by-law but suing to have these laws removed.

if people walking the same area or walking their dogs or just in the area had to pay to be in the area..that is one thing but they are targeting fishermen and only them..that is crap

So you have given in?

Brian I fished the south side of 90 religously every day when they wanted and did start up with the whole pass Bull. The first 2 years I bought the pass when it was 20 bucks with no derby ticket. Then they bumped it to 40 bucks wit the manditory derby ticket even if you didn't want to fish it. I said screw em...Also had my first set of wheels by then so I started hitting quiter spots...LOL

Alot of locals were really pissed at the time, and there was originally alot of rumblings about the legalities etc... Nothing ever came of it. Like it or love it. I was pissed at the time when they implemented it becasue I was 16 and had to by the pass but didn't even need to buy a license yet! There were some local regulars down there that thought it would be a good idea originally that don't even fish there anymore and have changed their opinion on the pass.

There are lots of other good spots in the area that are still free in the meantime. ;)

I didnt want to bring that in here,but thanks.That was my point. We can only be told to do,for so long, and then it,s time to say NO. I like Ron, would take them to court if need be,if the matter got to that. Im not that smart,but do know whats right from wrong.

Thanks MOS.

Brian I fished the south side of 90 religously every day when they wanted and did start up with the whole pass Bull. The first 2 years I bought the pass when it was 20 bucks with no derby ticket. Then they bumped it to 40 bucks wit the manditory derby ticket even if you didn't want to fish it. I said screw em...Also had my first set of wheels by then so I started hitting quiter spots...LOL

Alot of locals were really pissed at the time, and there was originally alot of rumblings about the legalities etc... Nothing ever came of it. Like it or love it. I was pissed at the time when they implemented it becasue I was 16 and had to by the pass but didn't even need to buy a license yet! There were some local regulars down there that thought it would be a good idea originally that don't even fish there anymore and have changed their opinion on the pass.

There are lots of other good spots in the area that are still free in the meantime. ;)

I,ll bet the ones I seen there last weekend at the bend ,didnt have one. :unsure:

There are lots of other good spots in the area that are still free in the meantime

Yes there is,but does that make it right? :dunno:

Edited by Misfish

Thats why lots of towns are charging a ransom to launch your boat and park. This is ok??? Don't see them charging bike riders to use trails or people to walk there dogs in the park

I don't go to those towns anymore

We all volunteer our taxes to pay for these services. However, our tax monies are being mismanaged/abused by these "elected officials" to the point that they can't even pay the bills to keep the lights on.

I'm fine with a province-wide fishing license which means that I've paid for the right to fish within Ontario borders. I'll follow the rules set out by the province and fish anywhere within the province.

Natural resources are the purview of the province of Ontario and municipalities do not have jurisdiction to enforce these "rules" on fishermen licensed to fish within the province.

I too will take my tourism dollars elsewhere.

Yes there is,but does that make it right? :dunno:

Is whining about it on the internet going to get anything done about it? :whistling:

Musky or Specks hit the nail on the head. Do you have the money and time to piss away to fight this kind of thing? I know I sure don't. So for now I fish where I don't have to pay.

What will I do when I have to pay extra to fish just about everywhere? Take up hunting.... for politicians... :stretcher:

Just another 'tax' grab!! What exactly is the town doing to promote conservation of the resource??? Is the money going into a specific fund or into the general revenue account (where it will definitely get wasted). I'd take my chances and if I were to be cited by a bylaw officer, I would let him know politely that if even convicted by a court of law, I would appeal to the Provincial Supreme Court. As for the mayor (Boss Hogg) mentioned above about having things changed for his benefit, I'd see to it that he was crucified in the court of public opinion.

I'm not a fan of the pass myself. I just fish on Essa property anyway, haven't had anyone stop and ask if I've had a pass yet. I guarantee less than 50% of the people who fish on the property don't have a pass. I don't think they enforce the pass much, if at all. Just curious, has anyone ever been stopped by a bylaw officer to see their fishing pass?

Bigbuck, I do know that some of the money generated from the passes and derby has been used to buy trees and coordinate a Riparian tree plant along Bear Creek (tributary of the Nottawasaga). Essa has also built a gazebo and put up fish cleaning stations for fishermen and regularly clean up garbage.In my opinion, this stuff should be done anyway, there should be a pot of money for property maintenance instead of having to steal it from fishermen...

Is whining about it on the internet going to get anything done about it?

Not whinning here,stateing a fact that,like you said yourself,even the locals are fed up with it.

Makes no sense,but nonsense.

Just curious, has anyone ever been stopped by a bylaw officer to see their fishing pass?

No,not as of yet.

I don't think they enforce the pass much, if at all

Wow,that would say to me,it,s a cash grab. Those that paid us we got them good.LOL

Edited by Misfish

I'm not a fan of the pass myself. I just fish on Essa property anyway, haven't had anyone stop and ask if I've had a pass yet. I guarantee less than 50% of the people who fish on the property don't have a pass. I don't think they enforce the pass much, if at all. Just curious, has anyone ever been stopped by a bylaw officer to see their fishing pass?

i fished there twice last year when the place was quite busy by the bridge without having a pass. if questioned, i was fully prepared to hop in the middle of the river and casually make weird faces while taunting them.

$40 just so i can wet a line? riiiiiiight :rolleyes: