My Last Grandparent is Gone

bigbuck

Well, we just finished with the funeral for my grandfather a couple of days ago. He made it to a week past his 99th birthday. His health has been deteriorating for the past couple of years and really accelerated the past 2 months. Coupled with advanced Alzheimers, it was not fun watching him slowly go. He was the type that worked hard to relax. He'd dig a trench, not like it and then fill it and dig another on the other side of the garden and then go back and forth digging trenches every summer. His vegetable garden was a sight to behold, big ripe tomatoes, bushels and bushels of peppers, cucumbers, squash, onions, etc....

God didn't forget you, it just took him a while to find you the right spot in Heaven.

My sincerest condolences Bigbuck.

I too recently lost my last Grandfather (93), it happened way too fast!

I do however still have one Grandmother left (recently widowed after 73 years of marriage) and I was visiting with her this morning ( I try to do it weekly, or more) and it's always a good time.

At 99 he's a very fortunate man as are you to have had him in your life for so long. May his memory always be a part of you, God bless.

Thank you all for your condolences. For my grandfather, he finally was able to rest.

Grandparents are special, I will never forget the words of my late grandmother who told me this when she was on her deathbed 'your parents love you, but a grandparent's love is much stronger'. I see that now with my kids and my parents. I was only 16 when she told me that and it took many years before I finally realized it.

So, if you have grandparents that are still around, spend some time with them, listen to what they have to say and love them. I'm fortunate to have had a grandfather still around until I was 40.